Issues with the C-130

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
akanishta

Issues with the C-130

Post by akanishta »

Hello,

Not sure if these have been mentioned before, but I have found several issues with the C-130.

First, the left landing light switch in the VC doesn't function. The left landing light only turns on and off with the 'L' command.

Second, the heading mode selector doesn't function at either the pilot or co-pilot positions.

Third, the VC flood light only turns on and off with the 'L' command, and it is not compatible with dynamic lighting.

I had the original payware version of this plane in FSX and can confirm all of these were working in the FSX version.
bilbao131

Re: Issues with the C-130

Post by bilbao131 »

Yes. There are several issues with the C-130. Here are just a few:
- Door warning light does not illuminate when any aircraft door is open
- Suction boost panel (R1) does not respond in 2D mode; can't turn on the hydraulic boost pump, switch form normal to emergency brakes, and can't turn on the suction boost pumps.

Along with what akanishta commented, these are just the tip of the iceberg of "anomalies" with the C-130 model. I hate to complain, but another "pet peeve" of mine is: When the engines are down sped, the generators do not go off line. I haven't even delved into selecting NTS during engine shutdown yet.

I like to keep my engine run currency up, but it's difficult when the C-130 does not function properly in this sim.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

As with all included vehicles, these are visual representations and do not fully model capabilities, features, or performance characteristics. With that being said, we can evaluate missing functionality on a case by case basis and will definitely look into anything that may have broke when we converted the vehicle to run in v4.

We have a few questions to clarify the issues you are seeing. We see both landing light switches functioning properly. Currently the left switch will also force the right one on as well so we are fixing that. Can you post screenshots detailing the heading mode selector and what the expected outcome is? What happened differently in the FSX version? Also what switch is not functioning to control the VC flood light? Did this switch work in FSX as well? Did the door warning light and suction boost panel function in FSX?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
akanishta

Post by akanishta »

Rob,

Thanks for responding.

The heading mode selector is #9 on page 19 of the C-130 manual (also #8 on page 27+28, Pilot instrument panel - 3D clickable controls). It's function is to select which heading/nav source directs the nav heading indication on the HSI (18). The knob doesn't rotate nor change sources in the VC at either the pilot or co-pilot positions. I tried it with a GPS flight plan as well as RNAV VOR1/2 and it isn't changing sources. The triggered sound file does play when you try and rotate it, but the knob graphically doesn't turn. It does turn on the 2D panel, but it's not changing the input source to the HSI. I can confirm that this was working in the FSX version.

For the VC lighting, Switch #4 - Flight Deck Dome should control the overhead dome light. All 5 light switches on that left pilot's side panel are turning off and on together instead of individually. With further testing, it looks like the landing lights and taxi lights are bleeding heavily into the VC. The taxi lights alone are bright enough to wash out the VC. Here's a screenshot of just the landing and taxi lights on and all of the interior lights turned off.

I also just noticed that when you turn the right landing light off, it still illuminates the aircraft and ground as if it were still turned on. The switch turns off and the light itself turns off, but the illumination is still there, as you can see here:

As for the landing lights, the switch appears to be bugged. Now I can click the left landing light switch to turn it on, but it wont turn off. The right switch seems to be working fine. I can confirm this was working in FSX.

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Did a quick test P3Dv4.3 C130:

"The heading mode selector is #9 on page 19 of the C-130 manual (also #8 on page 27+28, Pilot instrument panel - 3D clickable controls). It's function is to select which heading/nav source directs the nav heading indication on the HSI (18). The knob doesn't rotate nor change sources in the VC at either the pilot or co-pilot positions."

A/P Works ok in heading mode and VOR tracking.
The NAV source selection knob works ok in VC cockpit.

In VC, Left landing light switch cycles turns on/off both L/R lights.
Right cycles right light on/off.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Thanks for the additional details. We'll look into these in more detail and get back to you.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
George Crudo

Post by George Crudo »

Hello,

In our testing, I was able to confirm that the heading mode selector knob appears to work as it does in FSX. To interact with the knob in the VC, right clicking the knob will twist it to the right and the left clicking it will turn it to the left. The knob starts in the HDG position twisted all the way to the left so it needs to be right clicked to move to the other options, and then left clicked if you want to twist it back. Let me know if that works for you.

As for the rest, we are currently working on fixes for light switches and the washed out look in the cockpit should be improved with our recent content update.

Do you have a set of steps to replicate the right landing light illumination remaining after the right landing light switch is turned off? I just tried it and it appears to be working correctly.

Thanks!
-George
bilbao131

Post by bilbao131 »

Here it is, four years and a few months later. My apologies, I was focused on other projects. The door open light (worked in FS9, but not in FSX) and utility panel (R1 - worked in FSX) not animating I can live with. However, the utility panel is a big part of the checklist during engine startup. The hydraulic booster pumps need to be on prior to engine start to prevent cavitating the engine hydraulic pumps, plus the auxiliary hydraulic pump requires to be on during taxi and climb out/descent, but I guess this can be simulated. The heading select switch animates fine for me in both the 2D and 3d panel however, see below concern:

I just completed a flight from RJTY (Yokota AB) to RODN (Kadena AB) and discovered that the navigation system does not work correctly. When the heading select switch is selected to VOR/ILS1 it will track a VOR, no problem. When the heading select switch is selected to GPS, it will not track the loaded flight plan or established waypoint. It drifts off to the right slowly making a 360-degree turn. Coming in on approach, the autopilot tracks the ILS just fine, but when the glide slope becomes active and glide slope is selected, the plane tends to dive and falls well below the glide slope causing me to disconnect the autopilot early and hand-fly the approach course to a landing.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

The last version number I saw in this old thread was v. 4.3.

So, questions: is this working now in v. 4.5? Or 5.3?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

bilbao131 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:41 pm Here it is, four years and a few months later. My apologies, I was focused on other projects. The door open light (worked in FS9, but not in FSX) and utility panel (R1 - worked in FSX) not animating I can live with. However, the utility panel is a big part of the checklist during engine startup. The hydraulic booster pumps need to be on prior to engine start to prevent cavitating the engine hydraulic pumps, plus the auxiliary hydraulic pump requires to be on during taxi and climb out/descent, but I guess this can be simulated. The heading select switch animates fine for me in both the 2D and 3d panel however, see below concern:

I just completed a flight from RJTY (Yokota AB) to RODN (Kadena AB) and discovered that the navigation system does not work correctly. When the heading select switch is selected to VOR/ILS1 it will track a VOR, no problem. When the heading select switch is selected to GPS, it will not track the loaded flight plan or established waypoint. It drifts off to the right slowly making a 360-degree turn. Coming in on approach, the autopilot tracks the ILS just fine, but when the glide slope becomes active and glide slope is selected, the plane tends to dive and falls well below the glide slope causing me to disconnect the autopilot early and hand-fly the approach course to a landing.
Hello bilbao131 ,

Nothing wrong with the C130 and GPS tracking.

See my answer in your duplicate problem post here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=143567
Best Regards,
bilbao131

Post by bilbao131 »

@Jorgen SA and @Martyson,
Hello all. First of all, I did as you mentioned, Jorgen, I updated P3D v5 to the most current version (HF2). After that the GPS tracking somewhat works. When I tune in a VOR station, the GPS will track that, but it acts the same as if I had VOR/ILS1 selected. The GPS still will not track a waypoint, either directly or within a flight plan. It will only track a tuned in VOR.
bilbao131

Post by bilbao131 »

Oh, I forgot to mention. After updating to the most current version of P3D, the glideslope works fine for me when on an ILS approach.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

bilbao131 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:23 pm @Jorgen SA and @Martyson,
Hello all. First of all, I did as you mentioned, Jorgen, I updated P3D v5 to the most current version (HF2). After that the GPS tracking somewhat works. When I tune in a VOR station, the GPS will track that, but it acts the same as if I had VOR/ILS1 selected. The GPS still will not track a waypoint, either directly or within a flight plan. It will only track a tuned in VOR.
Hello bilbao131 ,

The C130 GPS is working in all P3D v5 versions in my flights.

You mentioned:
"but it acts the same as if I had VOR/ILS1 selected".
I do not know what that means.

For your current problem(s) I need you to post the flight plan and steps to recreate what is not working.
Screenshots or a video would be helpful.
Best Regards,
bilbao131

Post by bilbao131 »

@Martyson,
I will try and do all that next weekend. When I state "but it acts the same as if I had VOR/ILS1 selected", that's exactly what I mean. If the nav is set to VOR/ILS1, that will not track a waypoint, which is correct because in VOR/ILS1 the nav should only track tuned VOR or ILS approach. However, when the nav is set to GPS, the nav system should be able to track both VOR, NDB, waypoints, etc..., anything added to the flight plan (except ILS approaches of course). When I select GPS, the nav system will only track a tuned VOR, nothing else. So, it acts the same as if I had the nav system selected to VOR/ILS1.
bilbao131

Post by bilbao131 »

Well,
I finally was able to find time to test the GPS issue, but now I am receiving a "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" error which is crashing P3D. Once I get that bugger resolved, then I will get back to getting some screen shots. In the meantime, here is the flight plan I am flying:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="5,3">
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
<FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
<Title>IFR Yokota AB to Kadena AB</Title>
<FPType>IFR</FPType>
<RouteType>HighAlt</RouteType>
<CruisingAlt>22000</CruisingAlt>
<DepartureID>RJTY</DepartureID>
<DepartureLLA>N35° 44' 54.585795",E139° 20' 54.540718",+000462.00</DepartureLLA>
<DestinationID>RODN</DestinationID>
<DestinationLLA>N26° 21' 20.216847",E127° 46' 3.499904",+000143.00</DestinationLLA>
<DeparturePosition>36</DeparturePosition>
<DepartureName>Yokota AB</DepartureName>
<DestinationName>Kadena AB</DestinationName>
<AppVersion>
<AppVersionMajor>5</AppVersionMajor>
<AppVersionMinor>3</AppVersionMinor>
<AppVersionRevision>17</AppVersionRevision>
<AppVersionBuild>28160</AppVersionBuild>
</AppVersion>
<ATCWaypoint id="RJTY">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N35° 44' 54.581841",E139° 20' 54.540718",+000462.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>RJTY</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="SZE">
<ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N34° 47' 48.622184",E138° 11' 35.509565",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAORegion>RJ</ICAORegion>
<ICAOIdent>SZE</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="GAKKI">
<ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N34° 44' 52.332235",E137° 40' 50.369704",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y295</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>GAKKI</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="HANTO">
<WorldPosition>N34° 30' 40.620484",E137° 2' 4.300647",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y296</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>HANTO</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="NADAR">
<WorldPosition>N33° 50' 5.927356",E136° 24' 2.169392",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y56</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>NADAR</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="ALUYO">
<WorldPosition>N32° 46' 1.400548",E135° 7' 19.369977",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Z26</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>ALUYO</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="TONAR">
<WorldPosition>N29° 49' 3.089552",E131° 48' 39.470036",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Z26</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>TONAR</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="NAMPU">
<WorldPosition>N29° 30' 31.542873",E131° 24' 47.730467",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y523</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAORegion>RO</ICAORegion>
<ICAOIdent>NAMPU</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="POMAS">
<WorldPosition>N28° 30' 14.748212",E130° 8' 39.090593",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y523</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>POMAS</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="DONAN">
<WorldPosition>N27° 57' 55.526376",E129° 24' 40.490541",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>V71</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>DONAN</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="ONC">
<ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N27° 25' 58.365079",E128° 41' 56.270292",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>V71</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>ONC</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="LEXUS">
<WorldPosition>N27° 0' 10.110424",E128° 19' 28.389452",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y45</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>LEXUS</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="OKUMA">
<WorldPosition>N26° 40' 16.962425",E128° 2' 19.129293",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ATCAirway>Y45</ATCAirway>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>OKUMA</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="RODN">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N26° 21' 20.212956",E127° 46' 3.499904",+000143.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>RODN</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
</FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
</SimBase.Document>