F-22 Waypoints - Unable to manually select active waypoint

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Thacyoon

F-22 Waypoints - Unable to manually select active waypoint

Post by Thacyoon »

Hi,

I really like the F-22 (Prepar3D professional v4.3). BUT, it is really annoying that I can't manually change active waypoint. I have read the manual, and googled - and there is no way to change the active waypoint is this aircraft.

Is this a bug?
Or is this working as intended (that would be strange)
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: F-22 Waypoints - Unable to manually select active waypoint

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

As with all included vehicles, these are visual representations and do not fully model capabilities, features, or performance characteristics. With that being said, we can evaluate missing functionality on a case by case basis. We'll investigate this and get back to you.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Thacyoon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 am Hi,

I really like the F-22 (Prepar3D professional v4.3). BUT, it is really annoying that I can't manually change active waypoint. I have read the manual, and googled - and there is no way to change the active waypoint is this aircraft.

Is this a bug?
You can modify your mission route to add or delete waypoints.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Thacyoon

Post by Thacyoon »

Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Is this a bug?
Yes I know, but that is not the same as changing the current active waypoint in the the cockpit. I often create long routes with many (10-20) waypoints. And it can take days/weeks to fly this route. The aircraft MC always load the first waypoint. If I am half way on my route (after a save/load) it's back to first waypoint and no way to skip forward to the waypoint I am currently at to continue my journey.

In the F-16 this works fine. I can go forward and backward in the waypoint list by using the cockpit ICP panel.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Thacyoon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm
Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Is this a bug?
Yes I know, but that is not the same as changing the current active waypoint in the the cockpit. I often create long routes with many (10-20) waypoints. And it can take days/weeks to fly this route. The aircraft MC always load the first waypoint. If I am half way on my route (after a save/load) it's back to first waypoint and no way to skip forward to the waypoint I am currently at to continue my journey.

In the F-16 this works fine. I can go forward and backward in the waypoint list by using the cockpit ICP panel.
What do you mean by save/load?
Best Regards,
Thacyoon

Post by Thacyoon »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm Hello,

As with all included vehicles, these are visual representations and do not fully model capabilities, features, or performance characteristics. With that being said, we can evaluate missing functionality on a case by case basis. We'll investigate this and get back to you.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Thank you Rob!

The F-22 is a very nice plane with fantastic autopilot, and has a good center MFD/MAP (without FPS drops). Two issues with the F-22 should be looked at:
1. Unable to go forward/backward in the waypoint list
2. Constant elevator trim adjustments are needed when changing speed. This aircraft should have (as in real life) automatic elevator trim - adjusted by the flight computer. Like the Prepar3D/Aerosoft F-16 has.

Ohh, btw, thank you all for a great product with Prepar3D v4.4
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

On a normal flight there is no problem adding or deleting waypoints in the mission.

You may have a special situation.

An example would be helpful.
Best Regards,
Thacyoon

Post by Thacyoon »

Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm What do you mean by save/load?
Just to be clear: This is about changing the current active waypoint forward or backward in the cockpit by clicking on cockpit buttons/displays when in-flight/enroute. Not to add/remove/move waypoints in the flight planner/map planner or similar software.

I can spend several hours to create a long (cross continent/region) route with 20 waypoints. Some POI WP, some airport WP. There is no way I can finish this route in one flight. I can spend weeks to fly this route.

After I have started on this route and flown a couple of hours I save the flight and exit P3D. When I start P3D to load/continue my flight the aircraft MC (mission computer) points at the first waypoint on my route - and I have no way to skip forward (or backward) to the waypoint I want to be the "current" (where I am now).

For example in the F-16 this is not a problem, the active WP can be changed forward/backward by pressing the correct button on the ICP in the cockpit. The F-22 automatically change to the next waypoint when you pass the current, and you can not go back to a previous WP or forward to a future WP. And as I explained if you save/load the flight, the F-22 points at the route first waypoint again. You understand?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Thacyoon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 pm
Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm What do you mean by save/load?
Just to be clear: This is about changing the current active waypoint forward or backward in the cockpit by clicking on cockpit buttons/displays when in-flight/enroute. Not to add/remove/move waypoints in the flight planner/map planner or similar software.

I can spend several hours to create a long (cross continent/region) route with 20 waypoints. Some POI WP, some airport WP. There is no way I can finish this route in one flight. I can spend weeks to fly this route.

After I have started on this route and flown a couple of hours I save the flight and exit P3D. When I start P3D to load/continue my flight the aircraft MC (mission computer) points at the first waypoint on my route - and I have no way to skip forward (or backward) to the waypoint I want to be the "current" (where I am now).

For example in the F-16 this is not a problem, the active WP can be changed forward/backward by pressing the correct button on the ICP in the cockpit. The F-22 automatically change to the next waypoint when you pass the current, and you can not go back to a previous WP or forward to a future WP. And as I explained if you save/load the flight, the F-22 points at the route first waypoint again. You understand?
You should be able to (F22 default) start your saved flight.
HDG hold.
Remove / edit (delete) the unwanted waypoints (you only have 20 total to deal with) , save the MC plan and away you go.

I did a test.
It took me 10 seconds to delete the first 5 waypoints from my original MC , re-save the MC route and continue the flight.
Best Regards,
Thacyoon

Post by Thacyoon »

Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm You should be able to (F22 default) start your saved flight.
HDG hold. Remove / edit (delete) the unwanted waypoints (you only have 20 total to deal with) , save the MC plan and away you go.

I did a test.
It took me 10 seconds to delete the first 5 waypoints from my original MC , re-save the MC route and continue the flight.
I understand what you are saying, thanks for the tip/workaround. However, when using VR (Vive) it is really annoying and immersive breaking to pull the map/flightplanner and manually delete waypoints and reload the flightplan into the F-22.

Also many of my waypoints are airports so I can land and refuel *IF* I need to. But if fuel is good, I just want to skip the WP and select the next... Or maybe I just want to visit a POI WP - after some circeling and sightseeing I then want to skip two/three WP so I can land and refuel...

Example:
WP0 = Takoff
WP1 = POI
WP2 = Airport (refuel)
WP3 POI
WP4 Airport (fuel)
WP5 POI
WP6 POI
WP7 Airport (land)

Depending on fuel use and time I can fly WP1, WP3, WP5 then I need fuel so I want to goto WP4 to refuel. Then skipping WP5 and goto WP6 and land at WP7.

There clearly should be a cockpit button(s) to select next/previous waypoint. It's really strange that IRIS never implemented this into the F-22. Aside for this issue, the aircraft is very well made. I hope LM can tweek this fix into their F-22.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Thacyoon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 pm
Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm You should be able to (F22 default) start your saved flight.
HDG hold. Remove / edit (delete) the unwanted waypoints (you only have 20 total to deal with) , save the MC plan and away you go.

I did a test.
I understand what you are saying, thanks for the tip/workaround. However, when using VR (Vive) it is really annoying and immersive breaking to pull the map/flightplanner and manually delete waypoints and reload the flightplan into the F-22.

Also many of my waypoints are airports so I can land and refuel *IF* I need to. But if fuel is good, I just want to skip the WP and select the next... Or maybe I just want to visit a POI WP - after some circeling and sightseeing I then want to skip two/three WP so I can land and refuel...

There clearly should be a cockpit button(s) to select next/previous waypoint. It's really strange that IRIS never implemented this into the F-22. Aside for this issue, the aircraft is very well made. I hope LM can tweek this fix into their F-22.

I did not know you had problems with VR (Vive).

"However, when using VR (Vive) it is really annoying and immersive breaking to pull the map/flightplanner and manually delete waypoints and reload the flightplan into the F-22. "

Well, I do the deleting by going to the flight plan and just click on the delete "x" next to each waypoint I do not want.

Have you contacted IRIS .. maybe they have a payware F22 version with the waypoint Up/Down feature?
Best Regards,
Thacyoon

Post by Thacyoon »

Martyson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm I did not know you had problems with VR (Vive).

Well, I do the deleting by going to the flight plan and just click on the delete "x" next to each waypoint I do not want.

Have you contacted IRIS .. maybe they have a payware F22 version with the waypoint Up/Down feature?
The LM F-22 is the payware version of IRIS F-22. I would think LM hase the source code for the F-22, and are able to (if they have time/priority) tweek it so a button in the cockpit can bring the active waypoint index up/down.