p3d v4.4 FPS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
maca11

p3d v4.4 FPS

Post by maca11 »

Hello,
I keep absolutely same settings as in v 4.3. In the same scenario (PMDG 747 at EGLL) I have cca 2-4 FPS lower than before.
Are there any changes in resolution or other quality parameters in v4.4. so I can decrease sliders to have the same quality as in v4.3. ?

Or it is simply more complicated version so same scenarios and set-up means less FPS ?
thanks for any observation..
JM
janvaane

Re: p3d v4.4 FPS

Post by janvaane »

You won't see the difference... read this stuf to understand.
https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/ ... se-of-fps/
|KLM149 | i7-8700k-16GB | Radeon RX580 8GB| flightsimeindhoven.com |
maca11

Post by maca11 »

thxs
all is true, however, whenever I am bellow consistent 30 FPS I have visible microstutters as my screen is 30hz...
So slight difference 2-3 FPS bellow 30 is unfortunately visible for me....

So question is, is there anything more demanding in v4.4 making it less FPS ?
many thanks !
JM
janvaane

Post by janvaane »

What type is your monitor and GPU
|KLM149 | i7-8700k-16GB | Radeon RX580 8GB| flightsimeindhoven.com |
maca11

Post by maca11 »

NVIDIA 1080ti
monitor 4k 30hz
patful

Post by patful »

I'm not looking to turn down my settings, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm losing 5-6 fps since installing 4.4.

Pretty disappointed, and will likely change back to 4.3. I noticed in the legacy downloads, it says they don't recommend using the legacy clients. Is there any reason for this? Do older clients not work well with newer content and scenery?
Wills

Post by Wills »

Are those reporting poor FPS testing with fresh installs or in place upgrades?
patful

Post by patful »

Wills wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:41 pm Are those reporting poor FPS testing with fresh installs or in place upgrades?
Mine was a fresh, full install, Wills, followed all procedures. I had improved performance with each of the first three updates, surprised to see the decreased performance this time. I don't use VR. Maybe the changes to the rendering engine for PBR are too much for my GTX 1060? Thanks.
refields

Post by refields »

I have frame timing graphs available in SteamVR and I think the frame rates are now indeed lower by just a bit. The reprojection works much better in 4.4 though and the timing doesn’t seem to be so critical at least for me in VR.
patful

Post by patful »

Okay, I found the source of my frame rate problem. After reinstalling the Orbx Traffic program, I failed to disable the P3D default traffic, so both were running at the same time. Once disabled, I'm actually getting about 5 fps better than v4.3. Really sorry about that. I wish I could delete my previous posts, but it doesn't look like that's an option.
refields

Post by refields »

@patful - is that the Orbx freeware traffic for North America and/or Australia and New Zealand? I wonder if that’s what I’m seeing too. I have those installed and didn’t even think about having GA traffic in P3D also turned on. Is it enough to just turn the slider to zero or is there a toggle/edit somewhere?
patful

Post by patful »

refields wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm @patful - is that the Orbx freeware traffic for North America and/or Australia and New Zealand? I wonder if that’s what I’m seeing too. I have those installed and didn’t even think about having GA traffic in P3D also turned on. Is it enough to just turn the slider to zero or is there a toggle/edit somewhere?
Turning the P3D slider to zero will eliminate the Orbx traffic in addition to default, so you don't want that. In the Aus/NZ Traffic Control Panel, you have to un-check the first box to get rid of the default traffic. It's been so long since I configured it, I just forgot to do so. I don't use the Orbx North American traffic, as I want both airline and GA, so I'm not sure if the Control Panels are the same, but they probably are. Hope this helps you.
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

janvaane wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:58 pm You won't see the difference... read this stuf to understand.
https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/ ... se-of-fps/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-highe ... difference
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

janvaane it is really nice that you try to help ppl by linking that article. But maybe it doesnt help in every case, did you think about this? Please, its a good and true article but this is not about that. Its about the difference from 4.3 to 4.4. And we want to know what changed.

I have the same issue and i dont have orbx traffic.

The thing is that the behavior is not consistent anymore, greatly varies where one is flying. A LOT more as before. Usually i have a really consitent sim in performance. Doesnt matter where i fly, it was always nearly the same. Sure, KJFK or CYYZ was harder as low populated areas and at a few ones i opened the 30 fps lock to get over 30 fps. But now Not one flight i did is "the same" as before anymore, its either i get higher fps there now or a lot lower.... Its as if all changed. With identical settings.

I have various videos from streams where i arrive in KATL at full overcast with 35-45 fps in the VC in 747. Doesnt matter what i do, i cannot reach it anymore. Not even near. Most is 25 to 30 now, even with reduced settings. Dramatically reduced even.

At the same time i arrive at other airport, like LOWS (Digital Design) with 5, sometimes it jumped over 60 fps in the VC, where it was 30 to 40 before. The same i tried in a few other airports, all is different. Nothing same anymore.

Please note that i very much take weather into account here. I know that different weather and different daytimes have different impact. I know this very well.

I would like to know what exactly changed, the changlelog doesnt tell much. Are the settings still same as before? Like is Terrain LOD "High" the same as it was before or does it have other reach now? Does autogen LOD have other reaches on same settings all these things i would really wish to know.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

SW34669, that Quora.com article is baloney, pure and simple.

The frame rate in movie theatres is 24 FPS, on TV in the so-called PAL system it is 25 FPS, and in the NTSC system it is 30 FPS.

The frame-rate chasers that want more than 30 FPS are deluding themselves, apply a frame rate limiter and go for a smooth experience - which is what it is all about.

P3D is not an arcade game where you want to shoot all the bad guys, it is a simulation of reality - and that is totally different.

Jorgen

PS: I am probably starting a flame war now - so be it.
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.