dxgi error device removed...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
cjibbotson

Re: dxgi error device removed...

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm Chris,

"I have unticked every Orbx item and disabled Objectflow from the Add On menu so now running the sim completely on default and it still crashes exactly as it has done the past 100 times. "

That is not a default P3D.

If I were you, I would uninstall all add-ons, Uninstall P3D, remove any left over directories/folders, reinstall P3D and do all testing in a default P3D state.

Also, when you have a crash it would be helpful to give info on what you were doing in the test setup and copy the contents of the Windows Event viewer .. Module causing the crash for review in the forum.
Ok everyone I have uninstalled P3D, removed the application folder as well as the 2 folders in My Documents, the Lockheed Martin folder in Program Data and the folders in App Data/Local and Roaming. I rebooted and reinstalled P3D 4.3 with no other addons. I ran sim with a default Carenado A36, took off from Edinburgh. Scotland and flew south, departure time was set to summer and approx 60-90 mins before sunset. Sim crashed basically when it became dark. Ive no idea how to post a screen grab here. I had GPU-Z running and the sensors set to record Max settings. Max temp was 80 degrees. Max memory used 3869MB, Max GPU 100%, Memory controller load 40%, Power consumption 89.8%

I looked at Event Viewer and no crash listing Prepar3D. Have these 2 entries at the time of the crash under the 'Application' list:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffff84879ed984a0
P3: fffff80262bb094c
P4: 0
P5: 29bc
P6: 10_0_17134
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20180903-2101.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-6810906-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA37.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA67.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA66.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA76.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_141_e6f5ec1f5768b6a7b889da2dd925ae755374a0_00000000_0d3c0a85

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 8d554581-8c58-49f9-bf61-566a612d3120
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

and this one

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffff84879ed984a0
P3: fffff80262bb094c
P5: 29bc
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20180903-2101.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-6810906-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA37.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA67.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA66.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA76.tmp.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_e6f5ec1f5768b6a7b889da2dd925ae755374a0_00000000_cab_0ad00e9c

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 8d554581-8c58-49f9-bf61-566a612d3120
Report Status: 2049
Hashed bucket:

Exactly 10 seconds earlier under 'System' it says
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

I looked through slightly older events and see this, unsure if it helps or not. Tonights crash only showed what is in my previous post:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.3.29.25520, time stamp: 0x5b2c3263
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xa5a334d4
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000d4a8
Faulting process id: 0x1e2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d44188c8c53061
Faulting application path: E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1bd4ca79-cb53-4ff9-b485-5d662107a1b1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chris,
For screenshots go to the screenshot forum and there is information there.

The helpful information from the event viewer example:

If a program stopped working e.g., CTD (crashed to desktop),

Go to the Windows Event Viewer to see the
Faulting Module Name
that caused your problem.

Click on: Start

In search box type : event viewer

then next, look up your error ... here is example.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 pm Chris,
For screenshots go to the screenshot forum and there is information there.

The helpful information from the event viewer example:

If a program stopped working e.g., CTD (crashed to desktop),

Go to the Windows Event Viewer to see the
Faulting Module Name
that caused your problem.

Click on: Start

In search box type : event viewer

then next, look up your error ... here is example.

Thanks for that though like previously posted there is no red or yellow flagged errors apart from what I posted earlier from Event Viewer which occured on the 1st September (I was out all yesterday) Tonights DXGI crash does not show on Event Viewer, only listed items are the 2 "LiveKernelEvent" items with no mention of Prepar3D or ntdll etc
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chris,

What type of crash are you getting now?

Are you still seeing this type of message?:
"Exactly 10 seconds earlier under 'System' it says
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

When you install a new Nvidia version are you installing all optional items like Nvidia sound , Physx (spelling) and are you checking the box for a Clean install?
Best Regards,
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:11 pm Chris,

What type of crash are you getting now?

Are you still seeing this type of message?:
"Exactly 10 seconds earlier under 'System' it says
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

When you install a new Nvidia version are you installing all optional items like Nvidia sound , Physx (spelling) and are you checking the box for a Clean install?
Morning, I left the sim running last night as I went to bed. I see this morning it again crashed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Slightly different message under System in Event Viewer no mention of ntdll.dll this time but "Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

Im not on that pc at the moment but copied these entries from Event Viewer when I noticed the crash, they were all at 0123am

2 items under APPLICATION

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P1: 142
P2: ffffd20e1091d4a0
P3: fffff806243d094c
P5: 20cc
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20180904-0122.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-3929796-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12D8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12E9.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12E8.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12F8.tmp.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_142_bcb420acd79ae848ef9d1f8dcd92ac78a9e2789_00000000_cab_23741374

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 478a02b3-0b2d-444d-857b-61e8fd0f4e93
Hashed bucket:

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P2: ffffd20e1091d4a0
P3: fffff806243d094c
P5: 20cc
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20180904-0122.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-3929796-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12D8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12E9.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12E8.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER12F8.tmp.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_142_bcb420acd79ae848ef9d1f8dcd92ac78a9e2789_00000000_20f81307

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 478a02b3-0b2d-444d-857b-61e8fd0f4e93
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:

1 under SYSTEM

Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

XML VIEW of above

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Display" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">4109</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-09-04T00:23:00.533613400Z" />
<EventRecordID>1427</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-3MT49FR</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

Someone on Facebook recommended trying a hotfix driver 398.98 which I quickly did this morning, left season on spring which was default, set all graphics settings to default, flew out of default airport in A36 as I need a plane with an autopilot to test as cannot sit on pc for hrs testing and no controllers at the moment as flight yoke broke....few mins into flight near dusk...crashed. Yes all drivers installed after using DDU and selecting clean install on nvidia installer. Selecting driver only so GF Experience isnt installed, all other elements install like physx etc. Nothing in my case is working yet system hardware tests ok under stress tests especially GPU which I tested last night
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Selecting driver only so GF Experience isnt installed, all other elements install like physx etc."

Test:
Download a previous Nvidia driver .... any one
When you install
Choose Custom
Checkmark Driver
Do not check any of the other Nvidia options
Check Clean install

After install, reboot PC
Test again.

Note:
"Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

First time that I have seen that reported.

"I left the sim running last night as I went to bed. I see this morning it again crashed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG."
Type of crash?
Was this a box on your screen with a message inside it?
Best Regards,
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am "Selecting driver only so GF Experience isnt installed, all other elements install like physx etc."

Test:
Download a previous Nvidia driver .... any one
When you install
Choose Custom
Checkmark Driver
Do not check any of the other Nvidia options
Check Clean install

After install, reboot PC
Test again.

Note:
"Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

First time that I have seen that reported.

"I left the sim running last night as I went to bed. I see this morning it again crashed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG."
Type of crash?
Was this a box on your screen with a message inside it?
I dont think I can deselect the other items on the driver install but I will try again, I am struggling with time as all this rubbish with Prepar3D is affecting my business that I should be devoting time to instead. Ive seen "Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." a lot, sometimes I can see it as a pop up at the lower right of the screen, its listed in Event Viewer. Yes to your final question when I switch my monitor back on I see the black screen with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message in the middle. If Im sitting at the pc it would just at random suddenly come on even if Im not touching it. It is impossible to continue with the sim. I have left my monitor also powered on and all sleep modes disabled as a test too and that didnt work. Ive given up hope to be honest.

Chris
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"I dont think I can deselect the other items on the driver install but I will try again"

If the options are initially Checked by default, left click each one to un-select it.
I have done it many times.
Best Regards,
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 pm "I dont think I can deselect the other items on the driver install but I will try again"

If the options are initially Checked by default, left click each one to un-select it.
I have done it many times.
I removed my previous driver using DDU in safe mode, then installed an old 382.05 driver I have saved on my system. Deselected everything apart from the driver element and selected clean install. Took off from the default airfield (sorry forget the name) in the default Carenado A36 (sorry not at pc now) flew north on autopilot. Had set the time to Spring and about 90 minutes before sunset. Went to bed, got up this morning and plane was near the north end of USA..no crash. It had previously crashed when it got dark. All excited I restarted P3D, took off from my local airport EGAA Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, flew heading of approx 130 degrees to take me out of Irish Sea to England and Europe beyond...sim crashed with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE HUNG message.

I posted in this forum after months of frustrations trying every method available online, had expected Lockheed Martin to jump in and help debug this mess...even more so as its happening on a DEFAULT install, new and old drivers, new and old Windows so it CANNOT be caused by those elements as my sim used to WORK using those older elements..the only difference is updates to P3D is affecting a lot of users. They seen it in their wisdom to bury my discussion within someone elses and stick it under the 'Hardware Specific Questions' rather than under the Client Application where it originally was posted. There is NOTHING wrong with my hardware.

Seriously disappointed with their lack of support. My sim and future use of it is heading very soon to the Recycle Bin. Wasted my time and money on it.

Chris Ibbotson
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"I removed my previous driver using DDU in safe mode, then installed an old 382.05 driver I have saved on my system. Deselected everything apart from the driver element and selected clean install. Took off from the default airfield (sorry forget the name) in the default Carenado A36 (sorry not at pc now) flew north on autopilot. Had set the time to Spring and about 90 minutes before sunset. Went to bed, got up this morning and plane was near the north end of USA..no crash. It had previously crashed when it got dark. All excited I restarted P3D, took off from my local airport EGAA Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, flew heading of approx 130 degrees to take me out of Irish Sea to England and Europe beyond...sim crashed with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE HUNG message."

Glad to hear P3D worked with a one year old Nvidia driver with Nvidia driver only selected (Nvidia sound and other options Unchecked) and I assume you selected the Nvidia box for clean install.
I do not know about DDU in safe mode, never used it.

As for you second flight.
Did you reboot the PC before the second flight?

The LM P3D software did not change between your first and second flight.

Did you check the Windows Event viewer again?

What I would do next is install Nvidia driver 399.07 .... same deal, driver only/clean install, no other Nvidia optional items.

Start P3D and start the default flight (default Jet, at the default airport, default date/time/season etc, in other words don't change anythng from the default P3D install.

Did it crash?

Note:
Looking back in this post. You only first reported this problem a few days ago. So we have not been working on it for very long.
Best Regards,
pracines

Post by pracines »

I think its all a waste of users time changing drivers/ keeping P3D totally default / ini settings totally default

Until someone with knowledge and authority can explain the error (while running P3D) and at least a possible cause, there is not enough of an uproar to waste much time on this.

I cant even begin to think of a theory as to why this happens because of the diverse range of graphics cards. But I do know for sure it has nothing to do with Nvidia's drivers because I checked a bunch myself. For now I have not gotten this error when I lower P3D settings. It may be shadows - but its just too random, in that it can crash in 5 minutes or 20 hours, one never knows. The reason I think it may be shadows is because of cloud shadows that can change as WX changes.

The dusk timeline could point to shadows as well as they get longer and cover more area.

Absolutely shocking that nobody on the beta team or at LM can reproduce this. I think using totally max settings in P3D and totally max settings in Active Sky P4 will eventually lead to this crash for anybody.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO | i9 10850K |DDR4 3600MHZ G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO- 128GB | 1200W PLATINUM POWER SUPPLY | RTX 3090 |Samsung 970 evo plus 2TB NVME | 2nd M.2 Solid State 2TB | Seagate IRONWOLF PRO 8TB | DEEPCOOL CASTLE 240EX
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:44 am "I removed my previous driver using DDU in safe mode, then installed an old 382.05 driver I have saved on my system. Deselected everything apart from the driver element and selected clean install. Took off from the default airfield (sorry forget the name) in the default Carenado A36 (sorry not at pc now) flew north on autopilot. Had set the time to Spring and about 90 minutes before sunset. Went to bed, got up this morning and plane was near the north end of USA..no crash. It had previously crashed when it got dark. All excited I restarted P3D, took off from my local airport EGAA Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, flew heading of approx 130 degrees to take me out of Irish Sea to England and Europe beyond...sim crashed with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE HUNG message."

Glad to hear P3D worked with a one year old Nvidia driver with Nvidia driver only selected (Nvidia sound and other options Unchecked) and I assume you selected the Nvidia box for clean install.
I do not know about DDU in safe mode, never used it.

As for you second flight.
Did you reboot the PC before the second flight?

The LM P3D software did not change between your first and second flight.

What I would do next is install Nvidia driver 399.07 .... same deal, driver only/clean install, no other Nvidia optional items.

Start P3D and start the default flight (default Jet, at the default airport, default date/time/season etc, in other words don't change anythng from the default P3D install.

Did it crash?

Note:
Looking back in this post. You only first reported this problem a few days ago. So we have not been working on it for very long.
Thanks I really appreciate your input. After the crash earlier I restarted the sim from the same airport, no I didnt restart the pc. It has been running fine across Europe (have unlimited fuel enabled) and back again, came home late from work and it was over Iceland, no crash. I moved the plane back to Ireland and changed the time to daylight again. The main problem I have with your recommedation of completely default plane etc is that I have no controllers (they broke so I binned them and have yet to replace them but wont unless Im confident I can use the sim without crashes), this is why I chose the A36 as it has an autopilot so I can leave it flying and perhaps change the heading etc at times.

I will try the latest driver though want to run this one for awhile longer. Im out of the country from tomorrow for a 5 days so further tests will have to wait.
pracines wrote: I think its all a waste of users time changing drivers/ keeping P3D totally default / ini settings totally default

It may be shadows - but its just too random, in that it can crash in 5 minutes or 20 hours, one never knows. The reason I think it may be shadows is because of cloud shadows that can change as WX changes.

The dusk timeline could point to shadows as well as they get longer and cover more area.

Absolutely shocking that nobody on the beta team or at LM can reproduce this. I think using totally max settings in P3D and totally max settings in Active Sky P4 will eventually lead to this crash for anybody.
I wanted to test the sim in its default state so that LM can't pass the blame onto others. On many of their replies on other posts they refer people to a general debugging url with the usual questions about having an up date OS and drivers and then discuss what add-ons you are running. If the sim crashes with no add-ons installed then the problem more than likely is the sim. You maybe right about shadows, my crashes occur mostly and dusk or night time. Ive never tried a flight with shadows all switched off...wouldnt want to have the sim without them anyhow though to debug maybe worth a test.

Chris
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:44 am
Sorry I forgot to check, just did and its pretty much the same as before, I dont get any mention of Prepar3D in the Windows Logs / Application list. I got two entries the same at 08:53:19 and 08:53:20

Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P2: ffffd9880a9a74a0
P3: fffff80327d4f44c
P5: 16b4
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20180905-0853.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-38319140-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCE34.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCE45.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCE44.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCE54.tmp.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_142_7a58b467ea1ff959418021847deed332e05e6661_00000000_cab_0b3ccfca

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: e1a5d3cf-cf1f-4e7e-a6c3-4f66b42904d3
Hashed bucket:

and if I then select Windows Logs / System at 08:53:13
Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

and before that at 08:52:45
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user DESKTOP-3MT49FR\Christopher SID (S-1-5-21-4008358571-4165159517-2520883929-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Thanks I really appreciate your input. After the crash earlier I restarted the sim from the same airport, no I didnt restart the pc. It has been running fine across Europe (have unlimited fuel enabled) and back again, came home late from work and it was over Iceland, no crash. I moved the plane back to Ireland and changed the time to daylight again. The main problem I have with your recommedation of completely default plane etc is that I have no controllers (they broke so I binned them and have yet to replace them but wont unless Im confident I can use the sim without crashes), this is why I chose the A36 as it has an autopilot so I can leave it flying and perhaps change the heading etc at times.

I will try the latest driver though want to run this one for awhile longer. Im out of the country from tomorrow for a 5 days so further tests will have to wait."

Chris,
You are welcome.
Glad you had an error free flight.
Just for information, The default F22 has an autopilot.
I restart my PC between each test or flight.
I never run two tests or flights back to back. Windows caches some data .. have you ever noticed a second flight loads up faster?

No problem doing the testing your way. Just mention what you did and the results. I am sure pilots will be able to duplicate your test setup for testing. Tune in when you get back in town. Wishing you a good trip.
Best Regards,