P3Dv4.2 VR Single Pass Rendering Mode Issue

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
cannow

Re: P3Dv4.2 VR Single Pass Rendering Mode Issue

Post by cannow »

Thought I had cured it with a roll back of drivers but with my test case egkk . The atifacts are only there daytime so test time is 24/02 at 11:56. 17:58 artifacts are gone. This is repeatable . At least with my sytem with limited scenary installed . Hope that gives you a clue all at LM.Season makes no difference went to last August at midday artifacts there.
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@cannow,
Great work trying to isolate these issues with a fixed test case. Could you please repeat all the test condition items - and all of us VR folks will try it out and report back. If you can reduce the Graphic Settings to a minimum (but the artifacts are still there - that would be good) I think it is the following:

1) Gate 107 EGKK Gatwick with an A36 - traffic was on at level ( %50 or? )
2) Graphic options = AA, Terrain, Scenery Objects,Lighting = , Shadows = , Water = , Clouds =
3) Time = 24/02 at 11:56
4) Weather
5) No or minimal addons

What directions should we look - or just pan around - taxi around?

Thanks again - PLEASE - all VR folks try this condition and report back! L-M can't fix it if they can't reproduce it

Dave
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD
Bingo41

Post by Bingo41 »

Hi All,

I upgraded to V4.2 yesterday and discovered artifacts (Single Pass mode) on my setup as well. I have seen the ship others have pointed out at KSAN (Scenery by Latin VFR), as well as buildings popping up where they should not be, or buildings disappearing when they should not, plus unidentifiable artifacts as well. This is very repeatable. I saw airport ground vehicles, very large images of these vehicles, that showed up for a fraction of a second at KPHX (Scenery FlightBeam). Next I chose KCYS (Default Scenery for Cheyenne, WY) and I did see an artifact that popped up I did not recognize.

In addition to these artifacts, after a certain period of time, the flight terminates every time, and my A/C is reset back to the default startup airport running. It is possible to make another takeoff after the reset. I also experienced this “reset” back to the default airport when flying in “Stereo View” only mode. So both modes fail for me at this point in time.

BTW – I am running the latest released Oculus software and my Nvidia driver is 390.77.

My experience with version 4.1 is very stable and I had none of the above issues.

Bill Clark
Bill Clark

My PC
Windows 10, Ver 2004
CPU I5-8600K 5.2GHz
GPU Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
VRAM 11GB
RAM 32GB
2TB M2.NVMe
MB Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
cannow

Post by cannow »

whitav8 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:13 pm @cannow,
Great work trying to isolate these issues with a fixed test case. Could you please repeat all the test condition items - and all of us VR folks will try it out and report back. If you can reduce the Graphic Settings to a minimum (but the artifacts are still there - that would be good) I think it is the following:

2) Graphic options = AA, Terrain, Scenery Objects,Lighting = , Shadows = , Water = , Clouds =
4) Weather
5) No or minimal addons

Thanks again - PLEASE - all VR folks try this condition and report back! L-M can't fix it if they can't reproduce it

Dave
Traffic was 30 default LM World traffic as fresh install aa 4ssaa lighting HDR shadows off water I believe was high , no clouds clear sky , autogen dd medium ag density normal no reflections or dynamic lighting . Should be a starter for 10 be interesting to see if this can be recreated.I could see roofs to my left as panned and not sure on my right . Now orbx is installed I get a nice power station. All good in stereo mode.
Bingo41

Post by Bingo41 »

Hi,

I set up the situation at EGKK, gate 107 with the A-36 and did see artifacts. The image I saw, out the left window, looked like an aluminum pipe overhead and part of an aircraft with red tail and white wings. All I had to do is turn my head back and forth slightly to get it to appear. Very repeatable if you follow the steps below.

I will see if I can attach a jpg image to this post for all to observe.

https://imageshack.com/i/po1YFqgZj

Bill Clark

@cannow,

4) Weather
5) No or minimal addons

Dave
Bill Clark

My PC
Windows 10, Ver 2004
CPU I5-8600K 5.2GHz
GPU Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
VRAM 11GB
RAM 32GB
2TB M2.NVMe
MB Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
Britjet1

Post by Britjet1 »

Here is a video of my issue using P3DV4.
This is of the newly-released Fly Tampa Boston. The issue is obviously related to the direction that you are loooking, to a very fine degree..
I hope this helps..

Britjet1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki5UPkD91Bk
Joby33y

Post by Joby33y »

This issue persists after completely uninstalling 4.2 and starting from a clean state.

I am running the latest Oculus runtime, and I have tested this with two different versions of the nVidia GeForce drivers (since Oculus suggested using driver version 388.59 to avoid performance issues), but this problem persists. I see that nVidia has released another driver today (Mon 2/26/2018), but I have yet to try it.

LM, can you please try to reproduce this on your end ? I for one am convinced this is not due to an incompatible add-on.

To reproduce : start at KLAX on your clean build, set to Single Pass mode and taxi around the airport. Everyone is describing the same artifacts, same symptoms. I see the same weird polygons, roofs, ships, containers, flashing jetways etc as posted by others.

Since I have a completely clean build, I will try other suggestions if needed to help solve this mystery ! Let me know your suggestions. We're passionate about VR and appreciate the team effort to nail this down.

thanks,
JB

8700k OC 4.6GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Oculus Rift, Win 10, nVidia 1080Ti.
11900k @ 5.0GHz, MSI mobo, 32GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR5, MSI Ventus 4080, water cooling, Samsung SSDs, Win 11, P3D v3 / v4 / v5 /v6, HP Reverb-G2 VR
Joby33y

Post by Joby33y »

Tested with latest nVidia driver v 391.01. made no difference, the problem persists.

I have noticed that this problem seems to be limited to when on an airport.... ie, slew to a downtown area and sit on the ground (Los Angeles, Honolulu, New York all tested) and there are no flashing artifacts, at least on my machine. But, move back to the airport and all of those (KLAX, PHNL, KJFK) exhibit disappearing jetways and other random scenery artifacts in Single Pass mode.

thx,

JB
11900k @ 5.0GHz, MSI mobo, 32GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR5, MSI Ventus 4080, water cooling, Samsung SSDs, Win 11, P3D v3 / v4 / v5 /v6, HP Reverb-G2 VR
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This is an important issue to us and we are working it. We are able to reproduce some artifacts with autogen buildings, and we are investigating those now. There is a good chance these issues are related. Fixing the issues we can see may also fix the others. We can't be sure of that however, which is why we appreciate your continued efforts to provide reproduction steps using stock content.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
KUB10

Post by KUB10 »

Joby33y wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm Tested with latest nVidia driver v 391.01. made no difference, the problem persists.

I have noticed that this problem seems to be limited to when on an airport.... ie, slew to a downtown area and sit on the ground (Los Angeles, Honolulu, New York all tested) and there are no flashing artifacts, at least on my machine. But, move back to the airport and all of those (KLAX, PHNL, KJFK) exhibit disappearing jetways and other random scenery artifacts in Single Pass mode.

thx,

JB
Just to confirm, its not at airports only, saw artifacts out of 30000 feet while in midair.They came from groundscenery.

Sven
powayjoe

Post by powayjoe »

Beau Hollis wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 pm Thanks everyone for your feedback. This is an important issue to us and we are working it. We are able to reproduce some artifacts with autogen buildings, and we are investigating those now. There is a good chance these issues are related. Fixing the issues we can see may also fix the others. We can't be sure of that however, which is why we appreciate your continued efforts to provide reproduction steps using stock content.
Beau

Thanks for the continued effort on this issue as I am looking forward to the benefits of SPR.

Along those lines I have a question regarding SPR.

As I have stated in previous posts I currently prefer FlyInside over Native VR because it offers zoom, the use of pop up windows and the ability to import other non P3D app windows and interact quite well with all these things something I hope LM will incorporate soon.

Here’s my question:
I notice that P3Dv4.2 has a VR config file that remembers the last VR mode chosen either mono, stereo or single pass and therefore the next time we run P3D VR stays in the last mode used, something I like. What I have noticed is that when I run FI and it launches P3Dv4.2 my frames seem to be better (as if it’s taking advantage of SPR) and I don’t see any of the artifacts described by so many of us. I would assume they have not written any code to reset the VR config file back to stereo mode and if that’s true why are we not seeing the same artifacts when using FI.

I know the standard response is we don’t support or test addons and therefore we can’t comment or advocate their use for a stable system. My observation and belief they are actually running in SPR mode, if that was the last mode P3D was run in, is to perhaps offer a path to a solution since whatever they are doing different seems to work well.

Now FI has always had minor white flashing issues but never these artifacts/random objects.

What are your thoughts regarding FI actually executing with SPR since that’s whats in the config setup?

Thanks in advance
Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

Beau,
I have noticed that when I startup in Stereo mode from the mode last used in the previous execution, the sunlight reflection issue is NOT fixed EVEN when I then go to Single Pass or return to Stereo - but if I startup in Single Pass (from the previous run), it is fixed even if I then go to Stereo mode. I do see a few artifacts at KSAN and KSEA (older BGL models??) in Single Pass but not as serious as others have reported. (And I don't see any artifacts in a third party scenery from Paulo Ricardo of Rio de Janiero) in Single Pass.

Dave W.
powayjoe

Post by powayjoe »

I received an answer from FlyInside regarding the use of Single Pass Rendering

They actually disable all P3D VR modes and use their owntereo rendering partially because P3D didn’t have this when FI was first developed for P3D, that’s why we don’t see these artifacts when using FI.

FI is now looking into how to incorporate Single Pass Rendering, see my post:

“FlyInside Startup Question for Tony” on the FlyInside General Discussion forum
http://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6644

Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

Hey Guys!

Add me to this post as well. I’m having the same issue in VR with the Oculus. I finally got the Superbug to work right using native VR with P3D V4.2. I am now getting weird visuals when approaching and landing on the carriers. When I’m on the overhead at 800 feet, I can see the support structures of the ship, but not the deck! What the Hell is that?! :) The actual markings of the deck slowly appear as I’m coming over the ramp! Once I turn off to a CAT, I can see elevation issues on the deck itself. Objects on the deck appear and disappear as I move my head around. Any idea what that is and how I may be abled to fix it? Reinstalling AICarriers2 and the Nimitz did not help. Is also happening with the acceleration carrier as well. I’ve never seen anything like that before! I’m running the latest NVidia driver with a 1080. I can’t run that addon with Flyinside because is not compatable. The frame rates and studdering are all over the place. I’m getting really good performance in native VR with some minor studderings.

Ray
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@Raylemus,
Just to clarify - are the visuals fine when in VR Stereo mode and then not when in Single Pass?