Oculus Rift Visual Jerky

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
raylemus

Oculus Rift Visual Jerky

Post by raylemus »

Hello Peeps!

I just installed version 4.1 and I'm still seeing jerky visuals in VR, especially on the left eye. Was having the same thing going on in version 4.0. I was hoping it was addressed in 4.1. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks

Ray Lemus
jay71

Re: Oculus Rift Visual Jerky

Post by jay71 »

4.1 won't even work in VR with my Oculus Rift. I select VR mode by changing the view and nothing happens.
jay71

Post by jay71 »

jay71 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm 4.1 won't even work in VR with my Oculus Rift. I select VR mode by changing the view and nothing happens.
Disregard. It works fine. I didn't notice the enable VR button at the top.
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

How are you running it? Can you please share your display settings here? I can't get it to work right. Are you getting smooth performance? Thanks
jay71

Post by jay71 »

raylemus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 pm Hello Peeps!

I just installed version 4.1 and I'm still seeing jerky visuals in VR, especially on the left eye. Was having the same thing going on in version 4.0. I was hoping it was addressed in 4.1. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks

Ray Lemus
Now that I've got it working. Yes, you're right. And the flickering is so bad. I couldn't last longer than a couple minutes in VR. Hopefully the FlyInside will be releasing their P3D VR support soon.
jay71

Post by jay71 »

raylemus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 pm How are you running it? Can you please share your display settings here? I can't get it to work right. Are you getting smooth performance? Thanks
I have an i7-7700k, Nvidia 1080ti and performance is atrocious and I almost get a headache from playing it. It's probably worse now than it was before.
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

Oh, okay Jay. Thanks man! Yeah, I hope the FlyInside guys can figure it out! If I find a workaround, I'll post it here.

Ray
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

jay71 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm
raylemus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 pm How are you running it? Can you please share your display settings here? I can't get it to work right. Are you getting smooth performance? Thanks
I have an i7-7700k, Nvidia 1080ti and performance is atrocious and I almost get a headache from playing it. It's probably worse now than it was before.
Yep! That's what I have as well, except I got the straight 1080. Thanks man!
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi, I don't think flyinside could change anything to P3D's performances.
Your experience in Rift is jerky because your settings, that may work great with a screen, now gives bad fps in the rift. (you need more than 45 fps to have 90 in the Rift with ASW on, and for really best experience you need 90 real fps).
With 1080Ti no problem with the Rift - the problem is the Cpu (I have 1080Ti and 7700k). Cpu is highly used in P3D when using screen and "twice" when using Rift. (mostly 1 core/thread - that's why hyperthreading should better be off)
The most heavy option for cpu is World/scenery objects.
With Rift you can go very/extremely dense on scenery complexity as it it mostly airports buildings (if you are not above a big city ^^) but autogens are Killing your cpu.... Usually I go for 1) not at all or 2) dense/very dense autogen building density with medium autogen draw distance if I don't fly near a big city (and no trees).
With the 1080Ti I use to set the pixel density to 1.5 with oculus debug tool - good resolution in the Rift and GPU load about 80% more or less.
BTW it's a question of tuning the options to have good fps/gpu and cpu loads but not overloaded ^^. Use MSI Afterburner to monitor a flight - there you see fps and loads. If your fps go to 45 on graph see what at this point gpu and cpu loads are : if at 45fps gpu load is Under 50% culprit is cpu (over 50% on most used core at this point so 90 fps not reachable). Goal is to have a nice flat 90 fps graph by tuning P3d options. Good VR training !
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

toutenglisse73 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am Hi, I don't think flyinside could change anything to P3D's performances.
Your experience in Rift is jerky because your settings, that may work great with a screen, now gives bad fps in the rift. (you need more than 45 fps to have 90 in the Rift with ASW on, and for really best experience you need 90 real fps).
With 1080Ti no problem with the Rift - the problem is the Cpu (I have 1080Ti and 7700k). Cpu is highly used in P3D when using screen and "twice" when using Rift. (mostly 1 core/thread - that's why hyperthreading should better be off)
The most heavy option for cpu is World/scenery objects.
With Rift you can go very/extremely dense on scenery complexity as it it mostly airports buildings (if you are not above a big city ^^) but autogens are Killing your cpu.... Usually I go for 1) not at all or 2) dense/very dense autogen building density with medium autogen draw distance if I don't fly near a big city (and no trees).
With the 1080Ti I use to set the pixel density to 1.5 with oculus debug tool - good resolution in the Rift and GPU load about 80% more or less.
BTW it's a question of tuning the options to have good fps/gpu and cpu loads but not overloaded ^^. Use MSI Afterburner to monitor a flight - there you see fps and loads. If your fps go to 45 on graph see what at this point gpu and cpu loads are : if at 45fps gpu load is Under 50% culprit is cpu (over 50% on most used core at this point so 90 fps not reachable). Goal is to have a nice flat 90 fps graph by tuning P3d options. Good VR training !
Thanks for the input! So, if I understand you correctly, FlyInside will NOT be able to run V4 as well as V3.4? Man, that will suck! I thought that V4 was way more efficient in code than V3.4. I'm hopping that FlyInside's magic that worked pretty good in V3.4, can work in V4 man. Otherwise is back to Track IR in P3D!
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

I didn't know that flyinside VR worked better than native VR in P3d v3.4
So I surely will try it for v4 when available.
grimmer72

Post by grimmer72 »

jay71 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 pm
jay71 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm 4.1 won't even work in VR with my Oculus Rift. I select VR mode by changing the view and nothing happens.
Disregard. It works fine. I didn't notice the enable VR button at the top.
I'm having same issue, except don't see "enable VR button". Where exactly is that?
i7-4790
1080 Founders Edition
16GB RAM
MSI-Z97 MB
Windows 10 Home
Oculus CV1
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

We'll open up a ticket to address the jerky visuals in VR. Any additional information about your setup that illuminates these issues would be extremely helpful for us.

Pertaining the VR menu not being visible, I've addressed that in the thread below:
www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126986

There is also another ongoing conversation about the VR menu item here:
www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=126991

I've removed all off-topic comments. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
raylemus

Post by raylemus »

Kayla Kinzel wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 pm Hello,

We'll open up a ticket to address the jerky visuals in VR. Any additional information about your setup that illuminates these issues would be extremely helpful for us.

Pertaining the VR menu not being visible, I've addressed that in the thread below:
www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126986

There is also another ongoing conversation about the VR menu item here:
www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=126991

I've removed all off-topic comments. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Regards,
Kayla
Hi Kayla! I just purchased the FlyInside version 1.82 and that fixes the problem. I've never been able to use P3D in VR because of the jerker visuals. I have the Intel i7 7700K with the Nvidia 1080. Specifically, what other information will help you to troubleshoot this issue?
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

I've tried and compared Flyinside VR and native VR. Smoothness impression with Flyinside is superior, because they made the fps going to 120 instead of 90 (Rift is 90 htz but it seems that inputing 120 gives better smoothness than 90 ?)
Here a picture of afterburner monitoring twice the same flight, first with native VR and second with flyinside (curiously the fps with flyinside goes crazy from 120 to 0 most of the end of flight but Nothing noticed while flying, it was like 120 all the time) :

Some things I noticed, as flyinside desactivates some features like HDR, is that with HDR activated (in native VR), the clouds look double when near contact while they look ok with HDR desactivated. Also the vr "crash" view in native vr is bugged (eyes not sync). But all the other native VR views are OK (while have bugs with flyinside like vertical HMD axis locked in external view and changing view permanently changes the initial position in cockpit view)