Saitek Radio Panel

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
fabian.scavone

Post by fabian.scavone »

The saitek radio panel works great in FSX, I want to know the way to make it work in PREPAR3D.

Thanks in advance.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Fabian,

Copy over the settings in the exe.xml file in FSX from here: C:\Users\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml. You will see that there should be a saitek entry in that file. Once you do that, your panel should work. I have been working with Saitek to get their drivers and installers updated, so hopefully we will see native support soon.

Regards,

John

fabian.scavone

Post by fabian.scavone »

thank you, now it is working

I want to know how to do to turn off the radio displays when I turn off the master switch. This is not happening in my simulator.

Thank you
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

For any other support, you will have to contact Saitek directly. I honestly don't know....

Regards,

John

Teh_pastor

Post by Teh_pastor »

Hello

First off I would like to say at first glance the prepar3d has all the "right stuff" to send my old FSX packing. But as with Fabian I have some issues with my Saitek Equipment I have the, which contains the following:

1x Yoke -> Work perfectly

1x Throttle quadrant -> Work perfectly

1x Pedals -> Work perfectly

2x Radio panels -> Does not work

1x BIP -> Work perfectly

1x multiplanel -> Does not work

1x Switch Panel -> Does not work

By using your fix and copied the exe.xml file into the prepar3d catalogt the BIP started to work, but not the other equipment. I use the newest driver from madcatz. Any suggestions or any news from madcatz (I can't ask myself since their forum is closed for new registrations)
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi,

No news unfortunately, but I will try again next week to see what the status is. They have committed to providing Prepar3D support, just a matter of scheduling I guess.

I have been able to get the Saitek panels I have to work however. That includes the radio panel, switch panel and autopilot/multipanel. I will post up my xml file contents to show you what my settings are when I can so that you can compare. I have the new Cessna trim wheel working as well. So there must be something missing in your setup.

John
jleboff

Post by jleboff »

Hi John

I have this issue now at Princeton. What is the Prepar3D file to copy to?

Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi,

Here is the contents of my exe.xml file that works for me to get the Saitek Radio panels working:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Saitek DirectOutput RadioStack</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\DirectOutput\SaiFlightSimX.exe</Path>
<CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>
</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

This file needs to be in the following location:

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D

Normally the Saitek software would create, or write the information to this file. You can cut and paste the above into a notepad text file and save as "exe.xml", or rename the extension from "txt" to "xml" once it is saved.

Hope this helps.

John

birdmanmike

Post by birdmanmike »

teh_pastor - the above also effectively applies to the switch and multi-panels. Just copy the appropriate parts of the exe.xml from app data fsx to p3d app data. mine all work
betampona

Post by betampona »

Hi,

I'm french excuse my English.

I have two networked computers

I have a Saitek switch panel that works perfectly on Prepar3d.

prepar3d when I shut down the process does not stop Saipanel.exe unlike FSX.

When I have a second stimulus prepar3d Saipanel.exe process that opens in the Task Manager and it blocks the application and Plang REX Wasy on my second computer.

I have to stop the process and restart prepar3d.

for SAITEK this does not concern them, the equipment is intended only for FSX.

do you have a solution?

Cordially.

exe.Xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Saitek Panel(s) Plugin for Prepar3D</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\SaiPanels.exe</Path>

<CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi Betampona,

Saitek will need to change their software slightly in order for this to work completely, so suggest that you contact Saitek directly on their support forums to point out the issue. Thanks.

John
betampona

Post by betampona »

Hi,

I have already contacted Saitek, as the material is on Prepar3d they can do nothing for me.

The switch panel is for FSX it deals only with FSX.

Cordially.

birdmanmike

Post by birdmanmike »

All of you, this is beginning to look like a joke., with all due respect. Saitek wrote their stuff for FSX. Microsoft did nothing for it. So it's not LM problem to make it work in P3D especially as target market unlikely to use Saitek - and probably why Saitek not bothered.

However! The software is not exactly written for MS - its just the installer sticks the EXE.xml lines in the FSX App Data folder. The Saitek stuff goes in its own directory under the c drive or fsx folder - it doesn't matter, provided the EXE.xml has the right paths. You merely need to install it and then copy the lines from the fsx EXE.xml to the Prepar3D EXE.xml checking the paths correct. They are for Saitek Panels, Radio Stack and instrument panels if you have them - the multi, switch and radio all will then work fine, in my case with the instrument panels as well.

The Saitek panels etc do not close down properly only because P3D does not at the moment - if you have an error and abend with fsx, then the panels don't close there either! And as for why don't the panels switch off with the main switch - they never have, so? this is just a hardware approximation - do you expect P3D or FSX for that matter to switch off your USB ports? Some people need to get real.

So (please) stop banging on about John et al fixing Saitek and read the previous posts and learn how to do internet search. Youll find it will all work fine with very little effort. John's got bigger fish to fry and I'm very grateful he is!

Mike
betampona

Post by betampona »

hello,

Thank you for your response, I did not know there was a guard dog on forum.toutes manipulation you describe I made and I searched the internet, my hardware works on Prepar3d was just a area for improvement if Prepar3d unable to change the position of SAITEK well we wait.

good flights.
birdmanmike

Post by birdmanmike »

Woof, woof!. Seriously though, don't take it personally, wasn't aimed at you (only). It's just can we get on with the serious business, as there's an easy solution. "we" won't wait for Saitek, what for? Saitek is not a professional level controls maker after all. As said, I suspect when the P3D closedown error fix is implemented in 1.3 as JN said, the whole problem you have will go away