Multi_Channel client visuals not smooth

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
techm9

Post by techm9 »

I am testing multi-channel operations in the hope of creating a 180deg collimated display for a simulator. Being new to ESP and Prepar3d I have setup a two computer system to make sure I have some of the code working properly before adding additional computers (slaves). The final goal would be to have a Master computer IGMaster for flight control input and passing date back and fourth to 2-4 IGSlaves.

for this Test case... I am using ....

IGMaster: Dell Laptop M6500. Used as input for flight controls and 90h x 90v fov oversight. No Panels or anything else being shown on the screen.

IGSlave: Intel i5 Motherboard running at 2.79ghz, 4gig ram, System HD, Applicaion HD, DVD/CD, and Nvidia GTX580 connected to single 1920x1080 monitor.

so.. pretty simple setup to test multi-channel.

SimIG.XML is...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1.0" id="SimIG">

<Filename>SimIG.xml</Filename>

<SimIG.MasterView>

<ViewOriginID>1</ViewOriginID>

<AutoCalc>TRUE</AutoCalc>

</SimIG.MasterView>

<SimIG.View>

<SlaveName>IG_Slave_0</SlaveName>

<ViewName>Slave0</ViewName>

</SimIG.View>

</SimBase.Document>

Everything works and the output on the master system is smooth... but the slave system visual is not smooth. For example, if I roll 45 degrees, it is smooth on IGMaster, but the IGSlave starts out with a smooth roll, but ends with a hard stop and jerk back counter roll about 2 degrees when roll is cancelled.

Do I need to look at another setting???

Thanks

jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Does the Slave fly smoothly when you're using it as a Master or as a stand-alone??

If it's smooth other than when it's a Slave Id try amending your Slave View to explicitly define the view but first ensure that your Network cfg file for your Mater and Slave both have this entry

IGCircularModeEnable=1

For your Slave view to give a Horizontal FOV of 45 degrees

on your Master in the SimIG.xml file add the following lines to your <SimIG.View>

<ScreenSize>16,9</ScreenSize>

<ScreenCenterFromEye> 0,0,19.3137805</ScreenCenterFromEye>

<Orientation>0,0,0</Orientation>

Hope this improves your Slave's response

regards

Jim

PS This is the full SimIG.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1.0" id="SimIG">

<Filename>SimIG.xml</Filename>

<SimIG.MasterView>

<AutoCalc>TRUE</AutoCalc>

</SimIG.MasterView>

<SimIG.View>

<SlaveName>IG_Slave_0</SlaveName>

<ViewName>Slave0</ViewName>

<ScreenSize>16,9</ScreenSize>

<ScreenCenterFromEye> 0,0,19.3137805</ScreenCenterFromEye>

<Orientation>0,0,0</Orientation>

</SimIG.View>

</SimBase.Document>

techm9

Post by techm9 »

Continued..... when run as independent machined (not multi-channel) both displays are very smooth ...it when they are in multi-channel.

plus... I made all the changes according to the recommendations in the "performance tuning guide" in the Learning Center.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Mark,

As they're both normally smooth then try those settings above

Jim
CaseyJParker

Post by CaseyJParker »

It sounds to me like your issue is happening in the networking, or in the attempted synchronizing of the frames. Do you have a frame generator lock in use? And are you limiting the FPS in Prepar3D.cfg? You might try setting the UPPER_FRAME_LIMIT to 0, and force VSync on - if the monitors are using the same refresh rate and were powered on simultaneously you should be able to get some degree of smoothness.
CaseyJParker

Post by CaseyJParker »

Actually, I'm now very much noticing the same ... it seems very nearly impossible to get an IG Slave to display smooth visuals, however it may be performing.
nbworld

Post by nbworld »

Hi,

I'm new in P3D, but i need some help... i have 6 computers on network and i need to display the images of my simpit (6 screens), two of them for left and right (Captain & First Officer) without angle (side / side) and 4 to the views (left & right). How can i do it ? It is necessary only 1 licence for P3D ? Because only 1 is Server the rest are slaves on network...

Please help.

Best Regards,

Nuno Batalha

Portugal