Multi Channel - 180 degree FOVs

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 am

I am trying to set up up Multi Channel with a FOV greater than 180.

In the documentation for SimIG it says you can define FOVs 0-360. However every time I set a Side Angle that is 90 or greater I just get a black screen. Have tried limiting the FOVs to 90 and defining more than one View Origin. This still gives 2 black screens for the views that hit hit +90 and -90 side angles.

I have also tried the 'Manual Grid' method with no luck either.

If I limit my total FOV to less than 180 I can set up no end of different configurations

Kind Regards

Jim

POST EDITED: removed the SimIG.xml code, it didn't work but it's no longer required for the MODs to check as I've figured it out!

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:17 am

I have re-read all the available documentation and it clearly says that total FOVs should not exceed 150 degrees for 'Grid Based' and 'Frustrum Based' configurations. However the only avenue left is the 'Screen Based' system. I understand many aspects of this method and can set it up for Flat Wall type configuration. I even understand how to apply bezel correction. However I cannot see sufficient documentation that gives a clear indication on how to use for monitors that are placed in an arc surrounding the pilot.

Is it just a matter of 'experimenting' with the Orientation parameters?

Regards

jim

POST EDITED: Removed the SimIG.xml code as the MODs don't need to check it anymore.

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:20 pm

OK finally have it figured!

Have created a 4x2 grid of monitors with a total Horizontal FOV of 210 degrees.

Here is the setup I wish to use it with. Optimised for the Right Hand Seat of a helicopter

FOV.png

Here is a composite image of the 8 slave views

SQUIB_800.png

Regards

Jim

timpratt

Postby timpratt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Jim,

Could you send me your master and slave files? I am trying to accomplish almost the same thing with 3 projectors.

Thank You

Tim

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm

The documentation on how to set up Multi Slaves is here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.2.3253.0\Sample Network and MultiChannel Config Files

My files won't be of any use to you as they are set up for a 4x2 grid that goes from -80 to +130. In addition I have offset the eyepoint so that the straight ahead view is not in the centre of the second monitor column but is approx one quarter in from the edge horizontally and vertically is one fifth up from the bottom edge of the top row. Also the monitors I used for this test were 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio). Consequently all the numbers that appear in my cfg files are predicated on all those assumptions.

Regards

Jim

nbworld

Postby nbworld » Mon May 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi,

I'm new in P3D, but i need some help... i have 6 computers on network and i need to display the images of my simpit (6 screens), two of them for left and right (Captain & First Officer) without angle (side / side) and 4 to the views (left & right). How can i do it ? It is necessary only 1 licence for P3D ? Because only 1 is Server the rest are slaves on network...

Please help.

Best Regards,

Nuno Batalha

Portugal

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:30 am

You'll need one licence for each PC. Depending on how powerful your PCs are you'll probably only need 3 PCs - one Master and two slaves all running two monitors each. If you have to run all 6 PCs then you'll need 6 licences. While you're developing it you can utilise 3 Developer licences on monthly subscriptions (2 PCs per developers licence)

Jim

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”