Setup 3ds max2012 64 bit to export mdl

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
GeoVent

Post by GeoVent »

Where can I find information on how to install plugins and setup 3ds max2012 64 bit to export mdl files? I have tried to add in the plugins but I keep getting errors.

The latest update doesn't seem to have been updated enough. ......Very frustrating. :?
beatle

Post by beatle »

Does the 64-bit version of Max support 32-bit plug-ins? We currently only provide a 32-bit version of the export tool plug-in - we are looking into supporting a 64-bit version eventually, but we haven't got one yet.

Tim
GeoVent

Post by GeoVent »

Not sure ...how would I set up the 32bit version?
beatle

Post by beatle »

Sorry, I don't actually use 3DS Max myself, so can't answer that. Our 3D tools and data guy is currently traveling, so not sure when he'll have a chance to check in here. Hopefully somebody else that actually uses 3DS Max can tackle your questions.

I just know that a lot of programs that come in both a 32-bit and 64-bit version, the addons/plugins for one version won't work in the other (Office 32-bit addons won't work in the 64-bit version of Office, I believe the same is true between the 32 and 64 bit versions of IE) but some programs do provide interop code to allow this to work (Cakewalk Sonar X1 has a wrapper called BitBridge that allows 32-bit .VST files (effects and virtual instruments) to be used in the 64-bit version of Sonar) - I have no idea how 3DS Max works in this regard though.

Did you receive both 32-bit and 64-bit installers for 3DS Max? If you have the 32-bit installer for 3DS Max, you will probably need to install that to use the 32-bit version of the plug-in for now, until we get a 64-bit version of the plug-in finished.

TIm
WBard

Post by WBard »

From your 3d studio max installation DVD or installer it will have options for 32bit or 64bit installations. Our current max2012 toolset that we released through our community downloads as a 'patch' to our v1.1 SDK only supports 32bit currently. We don't have a timetable on when we'll support 64bit. To install the plugins from the new patch into your max 2012 32bit installation, the instructions are almost verbatim as they are in the current SDK:

Modeling Tools Setup

3ds Max

In order for 3ds Max to work correctly with the scripts and tools of this SDK, go through the following steps:

1. Install and run 3ds Max 7+.

2. Select Customize on the main menu. Following this the options vary slightly depending on which version of 3ds Max is being used.

3. Select Customize Paths/Configure Paths/Plug-ins in 3ds Max 7, Configure User Paths/3rd Party Plug-ins in 3ds Max 8, or Configure System Paths in 3ds Max 9, 2009, 2011 or 2012.

4. Select Add, and then browse to the Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins folder if you are using 3ds Max version 7 or 8, or to the 3DSM9\Plugins folder if you are using version 9, 3DSM2009\Plugins if you are using 3ds Max 2009, 3DSM2011\Plugins if you are using 3ds Max 2011 or 3DSM2012\Plugins if you are using 3ds Max 2012.

5. Select Use-Path and OK, and this path will appear in the dialog.

6. It is now necessary to shutdown and restart 3ds Max.

7. On restarting, a new main menu item named Aces Tools should appear with drop-down options for the tools, including: AttachPointTool, LODNameTool, AnimationManager and FSCloudTool. You will also see a menu item ACES Documentation which connects to the Prepar3D modeling and texture SDK documentation

8. You are now ready to use 3ds Max to create Prepar3D® models.

Notes

# The scripts in the 3DSM9, 3DSM2009, 3DSM2011, and 3DSM2012 folder refer to many of the scripts in the 3DSM7 folder, so be sure not to move or delete the latter folder if you are using using any other compatible version of 3ds Max.
GeoVent

Post by GeoVent »

Ok...thanks

I have this working now on the 32 bit version . However if understand correctly there is NO export mdl option available. Is that true?

If so it's back to gmax I guess.....Say it aint so
N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

Um, that's the point of installing the 32bit Max and the SDK Tools, so you CAN export and compile models... ;)
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
GeoVent

Post by GeoVent »

Why does the SDK say "To export the model, make sure the format Prepar3D® Direct X File (*.X) is selected, no other model format will work. If the option Flightsim Model (*.MDL) is shown, do not use it, it has not been implemented in this release."?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

You will need export a .x file (which when using our tool will have some Prepar3D specific data in it) and then compile that via the XToMdl tool.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
GeoVent

Post by GeoVent »

Um...that was my point there is no DIRECT way to export an .mdl file. ;)

Thats what I didn't like about FSX and I was hoping for something better with Prep3D

Oh well...

Thanks