DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
jeansy

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by jeansy »

after sorting out my scenery order as mentioned above, I had 5.5hrs yesterday of in sim time yesterday without a hang while running AS2016 and FSUPIC running at the same time where before I wouldnt last 10-15mins
Matt
FS Painter @ The Hangar
Or Click here to direct access to All my Repaints

AUSTRALIA
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jeansy wrote:
Martyson wrote:"Ive deleted all my .migration files and sorted out my scenery order and then forced a new migration"

What does this meam?
not trying to insult you

but the "migration" is the way that they now Orbx link all their regions together so you can fly uninterrupted from region to region, instead of the old way of applying each region when you want to fly there.

forcing a new migration makes FTX Central v2 or v3 re run the region linking process
"Ive deleted all my .migration files and sorted out my scenery order and then forced a new migration"

I have used Orbx products for a long time and I have never heard of .migration prior.
Never had to force FTX Central 2 or 3 to do anything. Orbx has always worked ok.

But, thanks for the follow up.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Driver_101

Post by Driver_101 »

jeansy wrote:after sorting out my scenery order as mentioned above, I had 5.5hrs yesterday of in sim time yesterday without a hang while running AS2016 and FSUPIC running at the same time where before I wouldnt last 10-15mins
I did the same and it is working now.

FTX Central puts all ORBX entries on top. This could be the problem.
mcdonar

Post by mcdonar »

forcing a new migration makes FTX Central v2 or v3 re run the region linking process
How do we do this?
Regards, Richard
Win10, P3Dv5.0, PMDG 748 & 777, ASP5 + ASCA, vPilot, PFPX
jeansy

Post by jeansy »

go to the orbx folder in the p3d root directory

then do a search for .migrated depending on how many regions you have will depend on how many files you will have, I ended up with 37, anyway

deleted all the .migrated files

restart ftx central and allow the migration process to complete

however you need to check the order completion, the ftx folders are numbered, the lower the number the higher in the scenery order they are
Matt
FS Painter @ The Hangar
Or Click here to direct access to All my Repaints

AUSTRALIA
KennethVerburg

Post by KennethVerburg »

I'm having the same issue, but it did not appear with 3.4 hotfix 2 until I installed the FS Labs Airbus with their FSL Spotlight last Saturday. After that there are random DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors for my Nvidia 980ti. Before that I never had any issues flying a lot of PMDG flights in 737 and 777. When I go back to client 3.3.5 the error does not re-appear. I tried the ORBX migration thing, but that did not seem to help and I also did not change anything with ORBX the past weeks.

Windows 10, 908ti with 376.33 drivers, P3D 3.4 hotfix 2, lots of ORBX, AS16 + ASCA, PTA 2.04, ChasePlane.
DaveCT2003

Post by DaveCT2003 »

I went back to 3.35 as well, not issues whatsoever.

From reading, I'm fairly sure I could move back to 3.4 without the Hot Fix but I having a stable system for testing is what's most important to me right now - so I'm staying with 3.35.
KennethVerburg

Post by KennethVerburg »

Had another go with a reinstall of 3.4 and try it with the FSLabs (had already installed the update Sunday). This time also updated the P3D content, never upgraded that to 3.4 before. So now client, content and scenery are 3.4 (with Rex, PrecipitFX, ASCA, etc. re-applied). Two flights made no crash. Interesting.
Jeast

Post by Jeast »

Nvidia released new drivers today. Curious to know if those fix the problem. Testing now.
uksfpred

Post by uksfpred »

Try running p3d , just for day or so , on the lowest possible settings, swallow your pride and drop the lot, you wont actually notice that much difference other than frame rates getting a lot higher haha - then slowly work your way back up day by day until you start getting the error again.

I personally had a similar problem and narrowed it down to one setting which was pushing my rig to far.

mine was 'texture resolution set to 2048' - of course i didn't KNOW this until 3 weeks later after running through my process of elimination. since putting it on 1024, haven't had a problem since.

I do think we are all guilty of trying to push our rigs, unnecessarily so, to hard with p3d & games in general
Jeast

Post by Jeast »

You are kinda right, but its hard to reduce settings that worked 100% fine in pre 3.4 versions. Als there seem to be owners of the newer 1070 amd 1080 having the exact same problem.
Jeast

Post by Jeast »

Jeast wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:44 pm Nvidia released new drivers today. Curious to know if those fix the problem. Testing now.
To follow up, in the meantime I completed 6 flights without a single issue. I used the most recent version (hotfix 2), the newest Nvidia drivers and with high settings.
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

I started getting this error recently too. I currently cannot pin-point it, as it seems very random.
First I thought it was connected to the FSL Airbus, but now that it happened with default aircraft and a simple loaded scenario, I don't think it has anything to do with it.

I certainly never got this message until recently. It might be the newest LM update, it might be latest Nvidia drivers... don't know. I already tried going back couple of driver-generations, and for once I thought I got rid of it, only to get the error right now again.

It certainly ruins the day...

Are there any news on this, is LM working on this?
Kosta

Post by Kosta »

The first report here was on 28.December.

In today's testing, I am halfway convinced couple of things might be a cause:
- AS2016
- FSLABS A320
- 378.49 Nvidia driver

As I removed all 3, and stepped back to my previous driver, 376.33, all seems stable again.

However, also a "base" might be faulty (P3D).
lkalam

Post by lkalam »

I can only make assumptions, but I am leading towards a suspicion that it is not a single point of failure for this error to appear - it is likely a combination of things that might be causing "long frames" which lead the driver to falsely believe the device is hung / frozen.

There are certainly various add-ons in the market now that inject code inside the drawing process (Spotlights and others) and we're also getting various reports that the latest NVidia drivers really did NOT help in improving things - in fact, we're getting the opposite reports.

However, all reports are anecdotal and any efforts to replicate the issue at will have failed.

Perhaps LM can suggest what changed since 3.3.5 (other than the actual reporting of the error) that might be causing longer frames and/or stricter detection for DirectX to cause this error to occur?
Lefteris Kalamaras
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
---------------------------
www.flightsimlabs.com