Scenery Problem with bgl airport add-ons

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
germanygreece93

Scenery Problem with bgl airport add-ons

Post by germanygreece93 »

Hello,

I have updated to v3.3 ( only client )
When I am changing the view there are some problems with the ground.
Any solutions ?

Regards

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G05B
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G05H
downscc

Re: Scenery Problem at every airport

Post by downscc »

I'm lost. I don't know what I'm looking for. How about a hint as to the problem?
Dan Downs
KCRP
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

In the first image, there's some darkness on the left side of the runway. Could you please give us some more information about your issue, like:
  • Which add-ons are you using?
  • What do you mean by "change views"? The images are in the same view, just at different angles?
  • Does it happen with default aircraft? What about default airports?
- Mike
germanygreece93

Post by germanygreece93 »

Sorry for the missunderstanding.
When moving the camera in the virtual cockpit, the ground starts to flicker ( e.g. with the PMDG 777 / Airbus X Extended )
on every addon airport ( e.g. EDDM from Taxi2Gate, KIAD von Flightbeam )
Addons using: FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC + Addon Airports
The problem only excists at addon airports ( also with default aircrafts )

Regards
Guenseli

Post by Guenseli »

Yes, I can confirm this

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the client.

My OS windows 10 latest official version, GTX 970 368.22 driver.
ORBX global, Vector, Open EU installed.

Tested at Aerosoft EDDB and Taxi2Gate EDDM with default aircraft

And on AVSIM there are more reports about this
Nikthegamer99

Post by Nikthegamer99 »

Hi Guys,

The same with me. Tested on GA EDDH, T2G EDDM and FSDT KMEM. All airports with ground flickering. Changing the aircraft makes no difference. Disconnecting ASN makes no difference.
Seems that default airport is blurring through. If your not moving it looks like the flickering is in time with the beacon flash. But it not connected to the aircraft lights. At least not with your own.

Updated client and content to v3.3. Remaining on v3.0.
Config.: Windows 8, GTX980, latest FSUIPC, ORBX global, Vector, OPenLC, AI Traffic, tonnes of 3party Airports.

Regards
Nik
Carahir

Post by Carahir »

I can also confirm this for P3D v3.3

With Aerosoft's Torp Sandefjord X (ENTO) scenery enabled, the runway and taxiway textures flicker when moving the camera around. Looks like two or three different textures fighting for control. Turning off the addon scenery fixes things.

Tried reinstalling and running the ENTO scenery alone without the ORBX products but that didn't help much. Should also mention that I see slight flickering of the runway markings on the default airports aswell, but it's not very noticeable.

ORBX airports ENNO and ENSD doesn't have this problem though, so it might just be that the aerosoft airport addon isn't compatible or something.

Setup:
Windows 10, GTX980ti (latest driver), ORBX Global, Vector, openLC, FTX EU Norway and so on..
Lapi

Post by Lapi »

All sceneries are effected, which use the old FS2002-SDK method for ground-layering.

It is not a scenery-company specific issue, but a general one.
Most probably when the "Fixed custom z bias scenery flickering issues including runways and runway markings" fix was dealt with, something got broken there.

Only those sceneries are unaffected which use LM's genuine method of Z-bias layering directly from the P3D SDK, via 3DStudioMax.

The problem is that until 3.3 those older sceneries were compatible with BOTH FSX and P3D, so when newer installers were done for those, the ground-layers were not remade for P3D, as they were already compatible.

Lapi
downscc

Post by downscc »

Bottom line: Don't update to v3.3? I'll install almost anything to avoid default airports, but now only a very few addons are going to work? Thanks for the info Lapi.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Bocha

Post by Bocha »

Yes, something bad was done on this 3.3 update. I have the ground texture issue on several add ons.
I hope LM can resolve this soon as I have already made a full install which is very time consuming and I'm not willing to re install 3.2
funkyaz77

Post by funkyaz77 »

Hi Guys,

It seems to have more to do with 3rd Party developers still developing using 2002SDK for Ground Layering and not adhering to the NEW SDK that LM have provided, that said I hope LM can provide a hotfix/solution soon.

We want change and 64bit but still want to maintain backwards compatibility maybe we should all just install FSX and not move on.

Blessings

Duncan
MikeB54

Post by MikeB54 »

Pardon me for playing Devil's Advocate, but why should it be LM's issue to fix problems in 3rd Party addons that were created for an older version of P3D? That is the responsibility of the 3rd party developers.

Mike
Lapi

Post by Lapi »

Please try to understand that this small glitch brakes compatibility with almost ALL FSX based sceneries, airports to be precise.

We are not talking about 64 bits here, or some kind of magic change in order to gain performance, this is a simple bug, most probably an unintentional glitch, which rendered hundreds or older airports unusable.

You are mentioning the developer's responsibility towards the matter, which is definitely not the case, as we are talking about years old sceneries here, and NOT new ones produced specifically for P3D.

I'm certain that LM will acknowledge that it is simply a bug, that happened when the Z-buffer ordering was touched.
If they wanted and intentionally wanted to depart from the method, they would have warned companies and developers alike, but they didn't.
LM is probably also aware that by an intentional change in this field results the loss of hundreds of airport sceneries used by thousands of users, and in this middle part of development of the 3.x series they would have definitely NOT done that, specially without proper notification.

Most probably this is something that can be fixed in two lines of code, so there's no use to open lengthy theoretical debates about the responsibility of the scenery designers, specially that we are NOT talking about newly made stuff here, but popular, although years old products.

Lapi
Alex Goff

Post by Alex Goff »

"Fixed custom z bias scenery flickering issues including runways and runway markings"

Is not likely the source of the issue. This fix pertains to native Prepar3D ground polygons that use z-bias offsets to define layering. FS2002 ground polygons (those you see flickering) do not use z-bias offsets.

Furthermore, I have inspected many of my own FS2002 ground polygons in v3.2, none show flickering. This leads me to believe the issue is either specific to certain FS2002 methods, or the flickering ground polygons are not compiled using the FS2002 SDK and were using some of the FSX methods which are probably more prone to flickers.
Alex Goff
Orbx Simulation Systems
Kosta

Problem with runway textures (Flytampa Vienna)

Post by Kosta »

In 3.2 it was working fine.
In 3.3, clean install, just sim + addon, I have no runway markings any more. Not even if I pan around in the external view.
(yes, of course all P3D system-folders were deleted, and also the main P3D folder too)