HMD Crash at startup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
mchriest

HMD Crash at startup

Post by mchriest »

Windows 10 pro 19042 fully updated Dx runtime 12
Intel core i9 - 9900 3.6 GHz, 8 cores
Gigabyte Z390 Designar
32 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Driver 30.0.14.7219 (sept. '21)
12288 MB dedicated Vram
Prepar3d Professional Plus 5.2.22 from full installer. No 3rd party add-ons.

P3D VR settings:
Enable Hidden Mesh = yes
Enable Zoom = no
HMD Display Mode = Single-Pass
On Screen Display Mode = Double
Sync Mode = Update.

I have been tasked with evaluating the Varjo XR-3 in conjunction with Prepar3d for use with some of our simulators, but at this point am unable to even get started. Prepar3d will crash/silently shut down within seconds of enabling VR. Display settings have no effect. Same result with all settings zero'd.

After considerable effort at troubleshooting I disconnected the headset and attempted to start VR using the HMD Emulator. Same result of crash/shutdown within a second or two.

I have used earlier versions of Prepar3d with the XR-1 and Oculus Rift, and can currently start the HMD Emulator without issue on another machine running Prepar3d 5.1.12 with a far less capable GeForce 1060.

On the machine with the 1060, using gpu-z I can see the graphics ram steadily increase from ~1950 MB to ~2600MB while the emulator is starting.
On the machine that crashes, the graphics memory does not budge from the point of launching the emulator until the crash, as if something is blocking P3D from accessing video memory.

Ideas??