CIGI and instruments, six pack, GPS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
Lildreas

CIGI and instruments, six pack, GPS

Post by Lildreas »

Hello,

I would love to know if I use P3D as a CIGI client and I send over all the Ownship (Entity 0) updates for pos/rot, will the instruments still work?

If I for example would use the Mooney Bravo as Ownship can I drag out the instruments values (e.g. using Air Manager, used it with other flight sims) to get correct attitude indicators, airspeed, etc., mabe even a working GPS like the G1000?

I encountered problems in other flight simulators when using them as an IG and setting pos/rot from an external host, without the physics engine running the instruments were not updated correctly. But if the physics continued to run (to get the correct values) this was fighting against the extermal overwriting of the Ownship pos/rot.

Does anybody know if this is possible in P3D?

Thanks & best regards
Andreas
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: CIGI and instruments, six pack, GPS

Post by Beau Hollis »

Gauges typically read from the same sim vars you would be overriding via external control, so many of them would likely work for basic position and orientation. We flag DIS/CIGI entities for external control to prevent the internal simulation from fighting with external values. Using the ISimObject API, you can completely override the Aero model and drive all the sim vars from your own simulation. If you have an external software that simulates the aircraft and it's electronics, integrating via an ISimObject dll will allow you deeper control and full scriptable panels with access to custom sim variables/properties.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Lildreas

Post by Lildreas »

Hello Beau,

thanks for the answer, will start to look into ISimObject API.

Best
Andreas
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

I got a bit more detail from one of our CIGI developers:
We hide the user model when we are the IG, but 2D panels should still reflect the correct position, orientation, and velocities based on the host’s ownship packets. Using a custom ISimObject on the IG to drive panels should also be possible. The PDK supports sending and receiving CIGI Component Control packets, which could be a useful way to provide the ISimObject custom data from the host. This is shown in the SDK’s CigiComponentControl sample.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
Lildreas

Post by Lildreas »

Thanks for the update, very helpful!