DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
Pete Dowson

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

Postby Pete Dowson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Only recently (since P3D4.3, and still with P3D4.4) I started to get these DXGI device has hung messages. Originally, when they started, they only occurred at dusk or at night. But I've just tried re-enabling my FTX England scenery to see what it looks like in version 4.4.

Now the crash occurs in the daytime, 100% consistently, within a couple of minutes of the scenario starting up (my default, at UK2000's EGCC).

The GPUs (I have 3 x 1080Ti's in SLI formation) are never loaded to more than 45% (according to Task Manager), so I don't understand what is going on. Is this a P3D problem, or an nVidia driver problem? The error report appears to be from P3D. I have tried various nVidia drivers, Currently I'm on 416.94.

My installation is pretty well loaded up with addons as well as Orbx, but I tried with the FTC OpenLC Europe disabled, and with all my UTX layers disabled too, to no avail. With no FTX Europe regions enabled all is well -- for daytime flying. I can't use it at night because of the same errors.

I need a solution, or my Orbx purchases will be useless (I have all of the FTX Europe country regions and was looking forward to trying them, but I can't get passed the first couple of minutes after loading).

Whilst awaiting answers I'll continue experimenting. Things to try:

1. Disabling SLI
2. Changing drivers yet again (go for the latest first ...
3. ... er: there is no 3 ... yet.

Thanks,
Pete

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

Postby Rob McCarthy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Pete,

Are you seeing this with a specific vehicle?

Also would you be able to generate a crash dump and PM me a link?

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that dump to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Pete Dowson

Postby Pete Dowson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Are you seeing this with a specific vehicle?
I only ever use the Prosim 738. No cockpit (i.e no gauges, no display from the aircraft at all. Only scenery on a 210 FOV curved screen.
Also would you be able to generate a crash dump and PM me a link?
But P3D doesn't crash! The error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG gives you the options -- ignore and carry on or close P3D. the latter closes it without a cradh. Opting to continue allows P3D to continue normally, but you get no display, just blank.

Anyway, my first experiment, disabling the 3-way SLI, worked! I've not been able to force a DXGI crash at all since then.

So, either 3-way SLI just doesn't work with P3D, or one of the 3 GPUs is giving a problem. I'm going to find a way to do several 2-way SLI tests to check that.

Pete

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Postby Rob McCarthy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi Pete,

Some add-ons can have issues with SLI. We added additional PDK calls for developers to better support SLI with advanced aircraft features. Also 3-way SLI has been disabled for most applications for some time now by NVidia. Prepar3D doesn't natively support this.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Pete Dowson

Postby Pete Dowson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Some add-ons can have issues with SLI. We added additional PDK calls for developers to better support SLI with advanced aircraft features. Also 3-way SLI has been disabled for most applications for some time now by NVidia. Prepar3D doesn't natively support this.

Okay. Thanks. I'll try re-configuring it to 2-way.

Odd, really, that this has only cropped up recently. I've had this 3-way setup now for 16 months. It seemed to be more to do with loading on P3D (as just today with the additional of Orbx FTX region sceneries). The GPUs were never more than 45% loaded according to Task Manager. One of the GPUs did hardly seem to be used, so perhaps your explanation accounts for that more than the DXGI crashes.

Pete

Return to “Prepar3D Professional Plus Client Application Questions”