P3D V 4.5 RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
RicLourenco

P3D V 4.5 RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND

Post by RicLourenco »

Hello

I have P3d 4.5 HF3. Today when I ran it, it just disappeared before opening the main menu. Then I noticed that in the task manager that P3D is still open in the background. I know this topic is not new, I've been reading several solutions that were given previously, but unfortunately none of these works for me. Can you give me some help?

Thanks
Martyson

Re: P3D V 4.5 RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND

Post by Martyson »

RicLourenco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm Hello

I have P3d 4.5 HF3. Today when I ran it, it just disappeared before opening the main menu. Then I noticed that in the task manager that P3D is still open in the background. I know this topic is not new, I've been reading several solutions that were given previously, but unfortunately none of these works for me. Can you give me some help?

Thanks
@ RicLourenco ,

The General Debugging Steps are here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
RicLourenco

Post by RicLourenco »

Thank you for your reply
Swinden

Post by Swinden »

Hey Ric,

I'm having the same issue - it ran fine the other day, but just started for some reason. Please post if you found a solution.

Thanks,

Matt
RicLourenco

Post by RicLourenco »

Hello,

I deleted these folders:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

they are the same for V4.5, and it worked again. But there will be addons that won't work, like airports. Anyway after that, from time to time it worked other times it did the same. My solution was to format, reinstall windowns 10, and then P3D. Now everything is fine.

Best regards
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

RicLourenco wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm Hello,

I deleted these folders:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

they are the same for V4.5, and it worked again. But there will be addons that won't work, like airports. Anyway after that, from time to time it worked other times it did the same. My solution was to format, reinstall windowns 10, and then P3D. Now everything is fine.

Best regards
@ RicLourenco ,

You mentioned:
"But there will be addons that won't work, like airports."

That is what is supposed to happen.
Basically, it gets you back to a working P3D.
Then you can add back add-ons one at a time to see which one was causing your problem.

The three P3D deleted folders do not delete / uninstall your add-ons / airports.
They may need to be re-enabled but that is not a big problem.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.
Best Regards,
RicLourenco

Post by RicLourenco »

Hello,

Yes I knew I could have activated the addons again (sorry I didn't mention it) until I found out which one was causing the problem, as it's mentioned in the link above. But in my case, the last addon I installed was at least a month ago, so I thought that couldn't be the cause. So I thought I would save more time by reinstalling Win10 and P3D. But there was something I did the day before this happened that I didn't think at the time that might be the cause, but maybe it was. There are two types of updates on Win10 as far as I know; Win10 software updates and controllers updates. I had an update for a USB controller and I did that update the day before. I don't know if that could have been it, I don't think so, but anyway I won't do any updates like that in the future. Could this be what caused the problem?

Best regards
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello,

You mentioned:
“There are two types of updates on Win10 as far as I know; Win10 software updates and controllers updates. I had an update for a USB controller and I did that update the day before. I don't know if that could have been it, I don't think so, but anyway I won't do any updates like that in the future. Could this be what caused the problem?”

Which specific Win10 update updated your USB controllers?
Best Regards,
RicLourenco

Post by RicLourenco »

Hello,

I can't remember which specific USB update. These updates appear as optional on Win10 with a message stating that they are only recommended if we have a specific problem, otherwise the automatic updates will keep the controllers updated (another reason why I shouldn't have done it!). However now that I have reinstalled Win10, I have this kind of updates again. I won't do any of them, of course. There is a USB update there, I don't know if it is the same, but it is likely to be. The USB update is as follows:

Hewlett-Packard - USB - 9/6/2016 12:00:00 AM - 43.0.3613.16250

Best regards
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello,

I think you need to contact Hewlett-Packard support if you have questions on their USB drivers on your specific setup.

Glad to hear your original problem is resolved.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

RicLourenco,

I have never run into any USB driver issues that look like yours. On the contrary, I use a program called Driver Booster on all my systems to keep all drivers, including the USB drivers, updated at all times. In addition, my wife has a HP laptop where HP updates, as you mention, appear, and I apply them when I see them. Never an issue on any of the systems.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
RicLourenco

Post by RicLourenco »

Jorgen,

I don't know if my problem was because of the USB drivers update, it was just my theory, as it was the last change I made before the problem happened. As I've said before, it probably wasn't that. Anyway now everything is fine.

Thank you all for your help.