Problems to aktivate P3Dv4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Hossi

Problems to aktivate P3Dv4

Postby Hossi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:41 am

Hi,
I can't activate P3Dv4.5 because the activation is rejected with this reason:
Activations run out when Pepar3D is not properly deinstalled and this then installed again.

So I first uninstalled P3D with the Uninstall routine and then deleted the remaining folders and files labeled either Lockheed Martin or p3dv4 as recommended. I also deleted the Recycle Bin and Temp folder. I used the search function of Windows and scanned all folders one by one. Finally I cleaned the registry from P3D entries with Ccleaner and additionally I searched for P3D entries with Regedit and removed entries that were not deleted.

Only then I downloaded and installed P3D again. The activation failed again with the same reason: P3D is not properly deleted.

Why did I want to reinstall P3D? I bought a new PC, installed Windows 10 and all the programs I had used on the old PC. The last thing I wanted to install P3D and unfortunately its failed.

I have a guess why the plan failed. I installed all my additional hard drives from the old PC into the new PC. Only for the Windows 10 installation I installed a new SSD hard disk. For P3Dv4 I have created an extra 500 GB partition on this hard disk. But on the old hard drives was still a complete installation of P3D and all additional AddOns.
After starting the new PC something could have been written in Win10, which can't be found with the Windows 10 search function. I formatted all additional hard disks in the meantime, but that doesn't help afterwards. That entries were made by the additional hard disks I could see by the fact that all entries P3D on the C partition, which I deleted in hours of work, did not reappear after further P3D installations. Nevertheless it was not possible to activate P3D.

I made one last attempt by disconnecting the data lines from all additional hard drives and then reinstalling P3D only with the Windows hard drive. This attempt failed with the same reason.
If my assumption is correct, that something is written in Windows that belongs to P3D but is not recognizable, only a new installation of Windows 10 could help. I still have a little bit of hope that my assumption is wrong. A complete reinstallation of Windows is a considerable amount of work that I would have liked to avoid.

My question to the experts is, could my assumption be correct, then an activation by Lockheed Martin will not help my software. Then the only thing left is a complete reinstallation of Windows. This assumption was also expressed by other users in a flight simulator forum.

With kind regards
Horst Könnecker

JorgenSA

Re: Problems to aktivate P3Dv4

Postby JorgenSA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 am

Horst,

I am going to paste in a document I wrote for myself on how to do a completely clean installation, and on my system it has worked several times.

Here goes:

This is how I perform a clean install on Prepar3D v. 5, if you have v. 4 just say "v4" where the instructions say "v5".

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PROCEED.

WARNING: A clean install will mean just that - beware that all add-ons will not reappear in P3D, you will need to re-add or reinstall them, and that is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

I have my P3D v. 5 on my G: drive, a HDD that I use otherwise for downloading to. It is in a folder called P3D v5. For your installation substitute your own installation location, but - IMPORTANT - do NOT install to the default location of C:\Program Files. If you had P3D installed there, then install to somewhere else when you reinstall, for instance to C:\P3D.

The creation process begins with going to the Control Panel and uninstalling the old version: first uninstall the SDK, then Scenery, Content, Client and Professional Plus (or Academic) in that order.

Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D v5, usually it is only a folder named SDK.

Go to Documents, remove the two Prepar3D v5 folders with Addons and Files from there.

Go to the root of C: drive, in the Search box in the top right-hand corner type "Prepar3D v5" (without the quotation marks) in Windows Explorer (that is File Explorer, not Internet Explorer). Delete everything that is found. Some items cannot be deleted, go Skip on those items.

Empty your Temp folders (not really necessary, but they should be emptied once in a while).

Clean Registry, using Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner, then the Registry cleaning option in Ccleaner (free version).

Reboot.

Right-click on P3D's Setup.exe and select Run as Administrator, and on the first screen, under Options, select to install in the P3D v5 folder on the G: drive.

When the installation is finished. go into the P3D v5 folder, create a folder named SDK, install SDK to there. Configure SDK.

Right-click on the Prepar3D icon on the desktop, select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, put a check mark in the box "Run this program as Administrator". Click Apply, then OK.

Start P3D, fly the default flight out of KRND (KVPS if v. 4) for a couple of minutes. Shut down P3D, reboot.

Now you are ready to explore the world of Prepar3D.

If you reinstalled P3D because you experienced problems with add-ons, then test the flights where you experienced problems BEFORE you install ANY add-ons.

I will be away from home the next few days and not have regular Internet access and no access to my resources, so if you have issues and need to write back then I should be able to respond on Thursday or Friday.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Hossi

Postby Hossi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi, Jorgen,
your tutorial describes exactly the procedure I described in my post.
But all this doesn't help. If you try to reinstall P3D4.5 and then activate it, you get the same error message over and over again. P3D is not completely uninstalled.
Before each reinstallation I always went the same way as described above. Deleted everything that is called LM or p3D including Ccleaner for the removal of unnecessary entries in the registry

With kind regards
Horst

Hossi

Postby Hossi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:37 am

Hi, Jorgen,
just an e-mail received from the license service team.
My license is deativiert und again aktiviert. The following
installation and aktivaton was successful.

With kindly regards
Horst

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Good to hear that, Horst!

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”