Unable to install.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Cdelabatture

Unable to install.

Post by Cdelabatture »

I Thing I need PMDG Support on This Matter.

I have tried to Install P3D V5 on my Windows 11 Computer for more than a Week. To No Avail.
My computer is brand new and should easily handle P3D.

The first time I tried I did not use the 'Run in Administrator' mode.
All the other times (9) I use the Administrator' mode
The only addons I have are PMDG B737NGXu Aircraft FSUIPC and FlyTampa CYUL Scenery.
Each Time there is one thing that happens, never the same thing, that is not normal. one time I tried to save a State Change. P3D crashed.
Restarted the PC Tried to Run P3D again Gives me the splash screen and then does nothing.
This happenned more thant 10 TIMES.
Tried Repair many times but it does not come back.
Installing in default Directories.
The only way I have found to make it work again is to Uninstall It using a procedure found here
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187
I then use the instruction http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120676 here to reinstall.
But after a few hours 2-3 hours I get a problem and the same thing happens I get back to the splash screen and nothing works.
So I try another Repair that does not work and I have to Uninstall everything and reinstall again to get another failure in a couple of hours and to repeat everything. Very Frustrating.
Can I get official Support on This. Can I produce a thicket with Support.

Ing Zimmerman.
JorgenSA

Re: Unable to install.

Post by JorgenSA »

First things first: there is NO support from L-M, unless you have a service contract. See section 6 in the EULA that you agreed to when you installed P3D.

But - there is friendly, cheerful support from fellow users on this board.

With that out of the way, let's get on the issue you have.

That your computer is brand new does not guarantee that it can run P3D. Please provide the computer's specifications. You may also want to review this:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Now that is also out of the way, on to the installation issues:

As you have found out, you have to run the installation as Administrator. However, the very first installation you performed has probably left "things" behind. which will have to be removed.

You do not mention which drive you have installed to, or if you already have another version of P3D installed - your mention of 2 add-ons could mean that another version is installed.

So, first of all, perform an uninstall of P3D v. 5 through he Windows Control Panel, if that is still present in Windows 11. All parts must be uninstalled there.

Then, in File Explorer, go to the root of the drive where v. 5 was installed, and in the search box in the top right corner type this:

prepar3d v5

Let the search run through, then delete everything you find. If this drive is the C: drive, then fine, if this drive is not the C: drive, repeat this on the C: drive.

Reboot the system.

Now try the reinstall (as Administrator, of course), but if you have to install on the C: drive, at least do not install to the default location, but to something like C:\P3D. This is to avoid getting User Account Control involved, which might pose problems with your add-ons.

After installing, perform a trial run before installing any add-ons, just to see if it actually works. If you run into a problem then please post back here.

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello Cdelabatture ,
Ing Zimmerman

I read your post in the PMDG forum where you tried installing PMDG737NGX (for P3Dv4 only) into P3Dv5.

I have WIN11, PMDG737-NGXu and FSUIPC6.
I do not have FlyTampa CYUL.

I may be able to provide some assistance in your case.

When you downloaded the P3Dv5 product did you verify the Checksum of the downloaded ZIP file before Un-zipping and installing?

After your install of P3D5 did you verify P3D operation was normal using the default aircraft and scenery (no add-ons installed)?

Do you still have P3Dv4 installed on your old PC?

Did you install P3Dv4 on your new PC?
Note: both P3Dv4 and v5 can be installed on one PC without a problem.

Have you copied any files from your old PC to your new PC?

What is your current situation?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

JorgenSA wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 am First things first: there is NO support from L-M, unless you have a service contract. See section 6 in the EULA that you agreed to when you installed P3D.

But - there is friendly, cheerful support from fellow users on this board.

With that out of the way, let's get on the issue you have.

That your computer is brand new does not guarantee that it can run P3D. Please provide the computer's specifications. You may also want to review this:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Now that is also out of the way, on to the installation issues:

As you have found out, you have to run the installation as Administrator. However, the very first installation you performed has probably left "things" behind. which will have to be removed.

You do not mention which drive you have installed to, or if you already have another version of P3D installed - your mention of 2 add-ons could mean that another version is installed.

So, first of all, perform an uninstall of P3D v. 5 through he Windows Control Panel, if that is still present in Windows 11. All parts must be uninstalled there.

Then, in File Explorer, go to the root of the drive where v. 5 was installed, and in the search box in the top right corner type this:

prepar3d v5

Let the search run through, then delete everything you find. If this drive is the C: drive, then fine, if this drive is not the C: drive, repeat this on the C: drive.

Reboot the system.

Now try the reinstall (as Administrator, of course), but if you have to install on the C: drive, at least do not install to the default location, but to something like C:\P3D. This is to avoid getting User Account Control involved, which might pose problems with your add-ons.

After installing, perform a trial run before installing any add-ons, just to see if it actually works. If you run into a problem then please post back here.

Happy flying -

Jorgen
Hi Jorgen Thanks for your rapide response.

Check for the Support.
Computer Specs:
IntelI7-12700F 12 Core 2.1 - 4.9 GHZ
Assus Motherboard
32 GB Ramp DDR4-3200
ONE SSD HD 1TB Primay
One SSD HD 2GB Secondary or Data
Video Asus NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 ti 12GB.

- The first time I installed it was the first installation of P#D on this computor but I did not use the "Run as Admistrato" Command.
So I uninstalled using this as reference: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187
Wich start by Uninstalling P3D v5 Acedemic using the control pannel.
Then Deleting The Following
Program Files ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5
Prepar3D v5 files \ Prepar3D v5 Add-ons
ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5
Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5
Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5
Then restarted Computer.
On These first ocassions (7 of them) I tried installing on C: Drive in the default P3D locations But today after I erased everything again as mentionned above I teried using my D: Drive (will get back to that)
Each time I uninstalled using procedures here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187
And Installing Using proceures here: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=120676
Yesterday I installed on my D: Drive in Directory P3D v5 that I previiously Created.
It ran four about two hours I tried stopping the program P3D, and restarting it a few times after the third attempt it stop.
I tried as Administrator the UAC Splasscreen appeared click OK Then nothing.
I tried running it just by clicking twice on the P3D Icon on my desktop and then strangely I got the following Error Another Lockheed Martin simulator application is already running.

My status now is P3D is uninstalled.
Waiting for your kind advice.
Thanks.
Ing Zim.
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

Martyson wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:49 pm Hello Cdelabatture ,
Ing Zimmerman

I read your post in the PMDG forum where you tried installing PMDG737NGX (for P3Dv4 only) into P3Dv5.

I have WIN11, PMDG737-NGXu and FSUIPC6.
I do not have FlyTampa CYUL.

I may be able to provide some assistance in your case.

When you downloaded the P3Dv5 product did you verify the Checksum of the downloaded ZIP file before Un-zipping and installing?

After your install of P3D5 did you verify P3D operation was normal using the default aircraft and scenery (no add-ons installed)?

Do you still have P3Dv4 installed on your old PC?

Did you install P3Dv4 on your new PC?
Note: both P3Dv4 and v5 can be installed on one PC without a problem.

Have you copied any files from your old PC to your new PC?

What is your current situation?
Thanks Morty
I did not veryfy the Checksum of the P3D zip File I don't know how to do it could you inform me?
I did my installation on the new pc without importing anything from the old one.
I tried P3d5 whihout any add on and it worked ok.
but when I add PMDG and CYUL thats when the trouble start.
As for my latest situation see my message to Jorgen
Thanks let me know hwo to checksum the zip.

PS: the PMDG B737NGX does not work on P3D v5 That is why I installed the PMDG B737NGXu.

Ing Zim
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello Cdelabatture ,
Ing Zimmerman

“It ran four about two hours I tried stopping the program P3D, and restarting it a few times after the third attempt it stop.”
Yes that can happen.

Start P3D do a flight test.
Exit P3D.
Reboot PC (clears WIN11 data caches)

Start P3D do another flight test.
Exit P3D.
Reboot PC

"but when I add PMDG and CYUL thats when the trouble start. "
Notes:
There is no problem with PMDG and P3Dv5 .

I would suggest only installing one add-on (PMDG) and do tests.
CYUL would be last to install and test.

I install P3D in this folder , never in the default path on C drive.
D:\Prepar3D v5
Best Regards,
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

Thanks Morty

Going back to checksum. I dowloaded WinMD5Free an run it through \Prepar3D_v5_Academic_5.3.17.28160.zip and got the following:

c33742b9bd4f274ee860173c2578805e

But how can I verify or found the origninal checksum of that file in order to compare with?
I will try your scenario today.
Thanks again
Keep in touch.

Ing Zim
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello Cdelabatture ,
Ing Zimmerman

It is in your P3D Account where you downloaded the ZIP file.
Just copy and save that Checksum to compare with your results you posted.
Best Regards,
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

Morty
Checksumm do match.

Ing Zim
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

@Martyson

Latest events.
Hi Marty
I did as you said I Uninstalled P3D v5 and re-iinstalled it on D:\P3d v5\
Did not add any add ons.
Did several flightss (2) with it wihout any problem.
Installed PMDG B737NGXu Basse.
Did one flight Montreal to Toronto Landed correctly and closed P3D.
After this P3D could not start anymore.
I tried just clicking twice on desktop Icon of P3D (NOT Running as Admistrator)
I got the following Error: Another Lockheed Martin simulator application is already running., wich is surprising.
Went to Task Manager and found that P3D v5 was active in "Background Process" Ended it.
Restarted the Installation to "Repair"
Went into the P3D v5 Folder and runned the "Delete Gnerated Files".
Tried to Start P3D and it does NOT work.

This is my twelve Install Attempt.

What are your thoughts.

Ing Zim
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello Cdelabatture ,
Ing Zimmerman

"I did as you said I Uninstalled P3D v5 and re-iinstalled it on D:\P3d v5\
Did not add any add ons.
Did several flightss (2) with it wihout any problem."

** Do you start P3D As Administrator?
** Did you reboot the PC after each flight?

NOTE:
When you close/exit P3D wait for it to finish closing.
You could look in the WIN11 Task manager (Processes)
scroll down the long list and find

Prepar3D.exe
When this process vanishes from the list P3D has fully closed
Not running in the background
This could take approx 30 seconds on my setup.

**How long did it take on your setup?

"Installed PMDG B737NGXu Basse."

Ok

"Did one flight Montreal to Toronto Landed correctly and closed P3D."

Ok.

** Did you wait for P3D to fully close?
** Did you reboot the PC after each this flight??

Now start P3D and test again.

Currently:
With the PC Off.
When you turn on your PC and let it finish booting up can you start P3D?
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Allow me a quote:

"I did as you said I Uninstalled P3D v5 and re-iinstalled it on D:\P3d v5\
Did not add any add ons.
Did several flightss (2) with it wihout any problem.
Installed PMDG B737NGXu Basse.
Did one flight Montreal to Toronto Landed correctly and closed P3D.
After this P3D could not start anymore."

From the above we can conclude that the installation of P3D on the D: drive went OK and as it should, and that P3D itself was functioning correctly.

The issue then arose somehow on either installing the PMDG 737, or in the flight thereafter.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
BatCap

Post by BatCap »

JORGENSA

Thanks Jorgen.
I tend to conclude the same way.
But I hear everywhere (here) that there is no compatibility problem with P3D v5 and PMDG B737NGXu. Or is there?
Each time I Uninstalled P3D I also Uninstalled PMDG.
The re-installation of PMDG is very straith forward. Or is it possible that the PMDG installer be corrupted, should I perform a checksum on that file
also.
This is a brand new computer, it only has the basic on it, Windows 11, Microsoft Office 365, a video Editor Software, and P3D, PMDG that's all.
Should I go back to the seller that configured this PC to have check it out?

Please Advise. Keep this thread alive.

Ing Zim.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

If there is a checksum issue, any modern unzipper (WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR etc etc in addition to the unzipper in Windows) will see it and alert you to it. So "manual" check of the checksum is totally unnecessary these days.

What I would do for this issue at this point would be to contact PMDG and see what they say (I don't have PMDG products myself), and I would uninstall and reinstall P3D, but not install the PMDG aircraft until in touch with PMDG.

Jorgen

BatCap

Re: Unable to install. Food for thoughts.

Post by BatCap »

From Prepar3D v5 Download and Installation Directions and De-installation.
Page 4

Now, please manually delete the following folders:

• C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 (or the modified install location)
• %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 The Subdirectory LOCALAPPDATA Does not exist IT SHOULD \APPDATA\LOCAL
• %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 SHOULD BE APPDATA\ROAMING\
• %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files
• %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons

Please advise the Authors of https://www.prepar3d.com/Prepar3D_Downl ... ons_v5.pdf

FYI

Ing Zim.