v5.1 Application Error 0000142

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
jangaloo

v5.1 Application Error 0000142

Post by jangaloo »

So I went the client uninstall and install the new client route and now I am getting an Application Error 0xc0000142. It doesnt even get to the splash screen!

I have tried a complete uninstall of v5 and install of v5.1 but get the same error.

I tried to reinstall the previous v5 version and that works fine.

All .net , C++ etc are up to date.

Any ideas?
JorgenSA

Re: v5.1 Application Error 0000142

Post by JorgenSA »

The error code points towards "incompatible software" according to a Google search of the code.

Be that as it may, you might not have accomplished a complete uninstallation.

After this post, I am going to paste in the procedure I use for un- and reinstallation - it has not failed me yet.

Jorgen

This is how I perform a clean install on Prepar3D v. 5, if you have v. 4 just say "v4" where the instructions say "v5".

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PROCEED.

WARNING: A clean install will mean just that - beware that all add-ons will not reappear in P3D, you will need to re-add or reinstall them, and that is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

If you're doing a clean uninstall-reinstall because your installation was damaged in some drastic way, for instance a disk crash, some parts of this process will seem superfluous. Just follow the steps that are relevant - it will be obvious which are. But, if your installation was damaged to the extent that you cannot uninstall completely, then you may have a license issue. To resolve that, email the licensing department at licensing@prepar3d.com.

When you have downloaded your new sim, do not bother with checking checksums, unless you have a suspicion that something went wrong during the download. Modern-day browsers, no matter which one, will tell you if that happens, and the utility you use for unpacking will also tell you.

I have my P3D v. 5 on my H: drive, a dedicated SSD. It is in a folder called P3D V5. For your installation substitute your own installation location, but - IMPORTANT - do NOT install to the default location of C:\Program Files. If you had P3D installed there, then install to somewhere else when you reinstall, for instance to C:\P3D.

The whole process begins with going to the Control Panel and uninstalling the old version: first uninstall the SDK, then Scenery, Content, Client and Professional Plus (or Academic) in that order.

Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5.

If you have moved your Documents folder, go to its new location and remove it from there.

Go to the root of C: drive, in the Search box in the top right-hand corner type "Prepar3D v5" (without the quotation marks) in Windows Explorer (that is File Explorer, not Internet Explorer). Delete everything that is found. Some items cannot be deleted, go Skip on those items.

Empty your Temp folders (not really necessary, but they should be emptied once in a while).

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Clean Registry, using Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner. (This is the one I use, there are plenty of others).

Reboot.

Right-click on P3D's Setup_Prepar3D.exe and select Run as Administrator, and on the first screen, under Options, select to install in the P3D V5 folder on the H: drive. This is for my own use, see above for installing on another drive.

When the installation is finished. go into the P3D v5 folder, create a folder named SDK, install SDK to there.

Right-click on the Prepar3D icon on the desktop, select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, put a check mark in the box "Run this program as Administrator". Click Apply, then OK.

Start P3D, fly the default flight out of KRND (KVPS if v. 4) for a couple of minutes. Shut down P3D, reboot.

Go into the SDK subfolder, right-click on ConfigureSDK.exe and select Run as Administrator. Answer Yes to the question that comes up.

Now you are ready to explore the world of Prepar3D.

If you reinstalled P3D because you experienced problems with add-ons, then test the flights where you experienced problems BEFORE you install ANY add-ons. Install your add-ons ONE AT A TIME, testing between each.
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
jangaloo

Post by jangaloo »

Thanks Jorgen for your reply.

Its rather strange that the old V5 is back running with no issues to speak of. I put that back on after this error kept showing with 5.1..

Looks like I´m going to have to plan some time to look at doing the whole wipe of V5 to get V5.1 working..... unless theres any other ideas..... should have been a straight forward client swap out! Oh well!

Thanks again!
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

It sounds worse than it actually is!

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Chigley

Post by Chigley »

I am having this same problem. It started when I downloaded PMDG B744 and the program didn't initialise the system and became very, very slow 1fps and a minimum of 4 seconds to respond to any command. Searching the internet I suspected a SimConnect error. I knew SimConnect was working before the B744 installation with my B737NGXu. Searching through my installation folders and through all of File Explorer I couldn't find the Legacy or Redist SimConnect folder. Knowing that Add-ons could be not helping I unselected them and turned all my P3D settings to low. The P3D program shut down OK but after a PC restart P3D wouldn't open and I received a 0xc0000142 application error. I have read and followed exactly your guide for a complete uninstallation, registry clean-up, temp file and all Prepar3D files have been deleted as instructed. I have removed my original P3D download and obtained a fresh download. A new installation was performed but again P3D won't open with the same application error 0xc0000142 shown. PC restarts were carried out after each stage.
In your instructions you mention adding a SDK folder to the Lockheed Martin (P3Dv5) folder. I haven't done this as I downloaded the full Prepar3D V5.1 Academic zip folder and haven't downloaded the SDK component.
mpni

Post by mpni »

@ Chigley
Is your system according with this recommendations?
https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/
Have you tried P3D without any addons just after the new install?
Is your addon up to date?
For having simconnect (automatically installed by default) have a look in your P3D folder. You will find a folder called redist.
And, in this folder a folder called Interface in wich are all the simconnect.
Regards
michel
Chigley

Post by Chigley »

Specs: i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 16GB DDR4, 10GB RTX3080, 1TB SSD & 2TB HDD, WIN10 HOME, P3DV5
My system ran at 40fps with P3D, PMDG 737NGXu and several Add-ons before I installed the B744.
I am fully updated with Nvidia drivers, Windows and non-Windows updates.
The Add-on question is irrelevant as the P3D boot doesn't even get to the initial splash screen.
I have installed the ESPv1 SimConnect but not the FSX as I don't have FSX installed on this machine.
Any other suggestions would be welcome as I think a Windows reset is looming.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chigley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:28 pm Specs: i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 16GB DDR4, 10GB RTX3080, 1TB SSD & 2TB HDD, WIN10 HOME, P3DV5
My system ran at 40fps with P3D, PMDG 737NGXu and several Add-ons before I installed the B744.
I am fully updated with Nvidia drivers, Windows and non-Windows updates.
The Add-on question is irrelevant as the P3D boot doesn't even get to the initial splash screen.
I have installed the ESPv1 SimConnect but not the FSX as I don't have FSX installed on this machine.
Any other suggestions would be welcome as I think a Windows reset is looming.
@Chigley ,

The General Debugging Steps are here:

viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Chigley

Post by Chigley »

Hi Vaughan, I went through all the debugging steps before following Jorgen's script. Nothing worked. Following some internet guidance I performed a sfc /scannow which found some corrupted files and repaired them. Following another restart I tried P3D again with the same 0xc0000142 error. I was about to reset Windows when as a last resort I tried to find a System Restore point out of curiosity as I hadn't created one. Luckily there was one prior to the B744 install. That has opened P3D up again and I am now slowly recovering back to where I was before the problem.
The object of the experience, always create System Restore points!
I never did find a way to fix the 0xc0000142 error.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chigley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:51 pm Hi Vaughan, I went through all the debugging steps before following Jorgen's script. Nothing worked. Following some internet guidance I performed a sfc /scannow which found some corrupted files and repaired them. Following another restart I tried P3D again with the same 0xc0000142 error. I was about to reset Windows when as a last resort I tried to find a System Restore point out of curiosity as I hadn't created one. Luckily there was one prior to the B744 install. That has opened P3D up again and I am now slowly recovering back to where I was before the problem.
The object of the experience, always create System Restore points!
I never did find a way to fix the 0xc0000142 error.
@Chigley ,
"I went through all the debugging steps before following Jorgen's script."
Ok, I did not know that.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)