Website "Search" is very limited

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Rob Ainscough

Website "Search" is very limited

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Any chance we could get a better "Search" process for these forums? I'm getting a little sick of the
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words
message ... trying to locate threads is so difficult that it's faster for me to browse pages manually.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
DavidL25210

Re: Website "Search" is very limited

Post by DavidL25210 »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:23 pm Any chance we could get a better "Search" process for these forums? I'm getting a little sick of the
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words
message ... trying to locate threads is so difficult that it's faster for me to browse pages manually.

Cheers, Rob.
+1

Having the same problem. Can't find any answers, anything I search for is being rejected as "too common words"....
Andover

Post by Andover »

+1

almost impossible to use "search"
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Thanks for the support.

I've also been in search of tools to convert CHM to some other format that has the ability to annotate and far superior search facilities.

I've tried:

Dr. Explain: https://www.drexplain.com/order/
-- failed to export and found errors in the CHM file with sections "too large" for it to handle

Tried the various print to PDF options and those come out terrible, missing links, wrong fonts, etc.

Tried online converters https://cloudconvert.com/chm-to-pdf, those usually fail with:
"TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'int'"

I don't know about anyone else, but when using the SDK being able to annotate and have intelligent searches is a fundamental productivity improver and makes using the SDK that much more attractive. Ability to annotate by project would be a huge benefit as project types (i.e. Aircraft, Scenery, Airports) usually have a very similar reference sections within the SDK and/or ability to link to threads in this very forum.

I know developers hate to document, I should know since I'm just as guilty ... BUT, this is where one hires a technical writer. Making information more useful is a good thing.

I've been asking for alternative to CHM and HTML online since Version 2.0 (8 years ago) ... sadly nothing.

But if anyone has options for conversion, please let me know.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
milesthomas587

Post by milesthomas587 »

It is quicker to do a manual search than to use the 'search' tool. An improvement would be of great help to many using this forum.