Debug log

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
obinder

Debug log

Postby obinder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 am

Hello @ll,

it would be nice if P3D had an optional debug log, telling me where exactly something went wrong.

For example, I often have issues with AI traffic creation via SimConnect. Many models aren't created for no apparent reason. Whats disconcerting is, that sometimes they are there, sometimes I just get an Exception 22. It would be nice to know excatly what it was that the sim didn't like about my request or the flight plan. Worse, I can make the sim CTD with AI traffic (plane with flight plan), and the reasons are completely obscure. It seems to depend on scenery too, they like to crash more frequently on addon airports vs. default. But there is no information or regularity to allow for a logical deduction.

If there was a debug log that I could turn on, telling me what the last action was that the simulator tried before crashing, and contained more information about the reasons not to create simobjects, that would be immensly helpful. Maybe a CLI parameter?

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Debug log

Postby Rob McCarthy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi Oliver,

Many content errors are logged if Content Error Reporting is enabled. Content Error Reporting can be turned on in the General -> Simulation Settings Screen or by setting ContentErrorReporting=1 in Prepar3D.cfg's [MAIN] section.
If this value is set to 1, errors related to content will be logged to the following file:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

obinder

Re: Debug log

Postby obinder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Hello Rob,

yes, I know about the content error log. What I need is a programmatic log, so I know exactly at least the "what" and maybe the "why".

For example: I can create an AI aircraft with SimConnect using a certain flight plan, and it will crash the sim - the sim process is terminated instantly. I would really like to know why, so I can avoid that situation. Unfortunately the same action doesn't always crash the sim - so there is no chance for me to diagnose this from the outside. Trial&error can only take you so far. If the same operation works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, it is impossible to pinpoint the cause.

True, the programmatic debug log is more helpful for your own development team. Still, if I could at least track the issue to the root cause, that would help. I am doing a lot of non-standard SimConnect operations, and I keep stumbling over issues all the time. My biggest software module has in excess of 50.000 LOC, and it is next to impossible to run trial&error gigs with that.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Return to “Prepar3D Feature Requests”