Be able to adjust the sim center point

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Sabre57

Be able to adjust the sim center point

Postby Sabre57 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 am

Not sure how to even describe this. When you move the viewpoint its in relation to the inside of the aircraft not the center of the sim. So in a 3 monitor setup if I move the left seat to the left monitor, because thats where I sit, the center of motion doesn't move. So it appears that I'm moving at an angle when I'm actually going straight. I would also like to be able move the horizon either up or down in relation to the center of the screen. This would help with raising or lowering the viewpoint to keep it in correct relationship with the top of the dash. I believe that this would probably require a major change to the sim. Maybe for this could be done for 64 bit when it gets here.

N4GIX

Re: Be able to adjust the sim center point

Postby N4GIX » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Your viewpoint from the virtual cockpit is defined in the aircraft.cfg file under the label [Views]:

Code: Select all

[Views]
eyepoint = -3.86, -1.55, 6.32    //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

The first number (in this case -3.86) defines the left/right position of your "eyes." Try increasing this number as necessary to correct your viewpoint on your left monitor.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:28 am

I knew that I would not be able to explain this properly. As you stated, It's very easy to change the eye point through either the aircraft cfg or through the use of keyboard commands. What I was trying to get at was that no matter where you move the eye point the center of 'motion' is always in the center of the screen. So in a 3 monitor setup with P3d stretched across all 3 monitors the center of 'motion' is always in the center of the middle screen even if you move the left seat to the left monitor. If you then move your physical seat squarely in front of the left monitor then the motion of the scenery will be wrong as the center is still in the center of the middle monitor. I'm sure that I'm not describing this any better than before. The best way may be to give this a try and see how it looks.

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:49 pm

If I had a triple-monitor set up I would do that. Unfortunately, I'm limited to a 42" HDTV 1980x1040 pix, and a single 22" wide-screen side monitor.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

ronh991

Postby ronh991 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:16 pm

I think I know what you are after and have a solution, sort of. You need to review GridX and GridY and LinkGroup in the SDK in the camera configuration section. I have 4 monitors (3 out the window and one instrument)

I'm doing this from memory as I have this set-up at my Air Cadet ground school classroom.

Open P3D and get into your aircraft. Have P3D occupy only the first monitor - in your case to the left. Adjust the view direction if required with spacebar + Mouse. Now open a new Virtual Cockpit View from the menu. This will bring up a new view, the same as your first view. Click on this view to activate it. And right click and un-dock. Move this view to monitor two (center). Resize it to fill the second monitor. Now you have two views the same. They are also at the same original eye-point. This is important. Do not move the eye point, do not zoom. All you want to do is move the camera view direction. Use the space bar and mouse in the second view to move the view direction to "see" to the right (say center console). Match up the views bezel wise so you have a continuous instrument panel or outside view. Now do this all again with monitor three. It's view direction is more to the right. Now save the flight. Make it the default if you like.

This is the only problem with this set-up. It is flight file specific. Now this part I'm not sure of. Open the fxml file for this flight and find the camera views sections. You should see windows/view for your three views you set-up. Now add in the linkgroup=2 to each one and save. This makes the views work together when panning and aircraft position.

Reopen P3D and open this flight - the three windows should get auto generated in the same position.

One could write a simconnect module to do this for you for different aircraft.
Ron

Hippo

Postby Hippo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:01 pm

I know exactly what you mean, and can understand why you're having trouble describing it. Having just tried to run on a dual monitor setup for the first time, I am also extremely surprised that this doesn't appear to have come up before. I've been searching without any luck, and wanted to bump this back up in case you'd found a solution, or in case anyone else knows how to get this to work.

Anyway, I am able to stretch my VC view so that it fills the two screens, but the eyepoint is always in the centre of the viewport (i.e. where the bezels touch each other). I would like the eyepoint to be at the centre of the left monitor so that I can sit in front of the left monitor. Can it really be that there is no way to achieve this?

richbarry

Postby richbarry » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:45 am

What ronh991 describes is something I wrote into P3DNative3D that I uploaded to Avsim & simviation. Sets up additional undocked windows above, below, left, right that extend from and are linked to your main window. Handles different size displays. U can see it part way through the YouTube vid I uploaded. Search YouTube for p3dnative3d it's the long program walkthrough vid

Return to “Prepar3D Feature Requests”