Shared Cockpit Locked Brakes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application's multiplayer mode
bryan3737

Shared Cockpit Locked Brakes

Post by bryan3737 »

Hello,
I apologize if this has been answered already, but I can't seem to find a solution. My friend and I are trying to share a cockpit which seems to work initially, but when he hands controls over to me I can't turn off the brakes. I'm able to release brakes when I'm in my own sim session, but when we're in the shared cockpit environment and controls are handed over I can't turn them off.

Also with regard to handing over controls and allowing cockpit access, how do I allow cockpit access to a specific user without "allowing everyone cockpit entry?"

Many of the forums that I've found point to JoinFS as the bridge to make the shared cockpit environment work. I've also noticed Prepar3d has a "Multiplayer" feature which doesn't seem usable online. Does anyone know if Prepar3d's native multiplayer function works online and if so please explain how.

Please help.

Both my friend and I are running windows 10.
I have Prepar3d v4
He has Prepar3d v3
We both have JoinFS v 1.4.34

Thank you in advance,
Bryan
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Shared Cockpit Locked Brakes

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi Bryan,

Prepar3D's native multiplayer supports both LAN and Direct IP connections. To connect over the internet you would need to use the host's IP address and the Direct IP connection type. You may also need to enable port forwarding in your router for the ports used by Prepar3D.

Shared cockpit allows users to assign a password to their vehicle. Other users would need to know the password inorder to join your vehicle.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
bryan3737

Post by bryan3737 »

Clifton Crane,
Thank you for your response. Me and another user have tried connecting many times through a serious of trial and error. We have also tried port forwarding with no luck. We have followed all the instructions in the learning center "hosting session", "join session", connecting through the IP addresses. I've tried port forwarding through windows and through my router. I'm out of options. There could be so many different variables causing the problem and I'm not sure which one it is. I'm not a network engineer and this doesn't seem to be very intuitive.

Any suggestions?

Please answer these questions:

1. Can P3D version 3 and version 4 connect to each other?
2. Will version 5 be easier to use with regards to connecting to the native multiplayer feature?
3. Are other people having trouble with this?

Thank you for your time.
lodanap

Post by lodanap »

My friend and I have been trying to get shared cockpit running to no avail. I'm assuming its broken in the current version of P3d (V5).

We can successfully connect multiplayer through Radmin VPN and join each others sessions and fly in the same world. Shared cockpit just ends up crashing both our programs.

Any feedback from LM on this?
bryan3737

Post by bryan3737 »

For all who are considering Prepar3d for use as a "multiplayer" simulator training tool BEWARE! I have tried all versions with an impressive rig with performance well above the minimum required to run the program, each version riddled with bugs and the user interface disappointing.

I'm a flight student who purchased the program to use to help with flight training to minimize cost from unnecessary learning in the real aircraft paying aircraft costs. My instructor and I both purchased version 5 and after two weeks of troubleshooting the issues with connecting multiplayer we decided to cut our losses and return the software within the return window and try a previous version 4 hoping it was more of a proven program. Unfortunately it was not! The symptoms we were experiencing were connection issues, shared cockpit problems, "Glitching" flight experience (similar to lag, but inconsistent throughout the flight experience), and unmatched flight environments. My instructor and I have spent countless hours researching, troubleshooting and trying to get this program to work properly as we were extremely excited to use Prepar3d. We finally tried going back to the earliest version 3 of the sim which seemed to work better than version 4 and 5. Unfortunately during all the time spent trying to get the program to work and the absence of customer support from Prepar3d I reached out to Prepar3d's return email contact to ask for options regarding our issues. The only advice given from them was to post on this forum and hope that someone among the community will help.....! That is ludicrous! I did what I was asked and in waiting for a response from anyone who might have fixed the same problem I was experiencing, which would never come, of course put me outside the 14 day return period. Clifton Crane thank you for trying to help with the minimal resources you have at your disposal. I have explained this to Prepar3d and they're unwilling to help or provide a refund. I know a fair amount knowledge about computers and software, but I'm not a network engineer or programer. You shouldn't have to be to use this program.

I understand the fine print, but I expected more from Prepar3d after spending $212 for simulator software which has never worked for me.