New Computer-hardware prepared for P3D......?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
larshgf

Postby larshgf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 pm

I consider buying new hardware components for my PC. Will the following be sufficient for Prepar3D for next 1-2 years?

Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor

Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.5Ghz, 8MB, Boxed w/fan

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77, Socket-1155

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL8

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA

Best regards

Lars

uber

Postby uber » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 am

Certainly very good - but if you are intending on using it primarily for Prepar3d, you may be better off going with the 3570K since the 3770K only offers hyperthreading while the 3570K does not, and games these days do not take advantage of hyperthreading, much less all 4 physical cores.

Also the Sabertooth Z77 is $$ because of its looks. It won't outperform any other motherboards in the $150-$200 price range. You could get a MSI, Gigabyte, or ASUS motherboard for $180-$200.

With the savings of the 2 mentioned above, you could then go for a GTX 680.

Hangarwaechter

Postby Hangarwaechter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Lars.

I've nearly the same hardware except the graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 7970) and P3D is working fine. But I think Nvidia is a better choice. Further I would recommend a SSD as harddrive for your OS and P3D. Other Software should be installed on a different HD.

B. rgds.

Jörg

adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 am

Quote:

Quote from Hangarwaechter on November 14, 2012, 13:22

Hi Lars.

I've nearly the same hardware except the graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 7970) and P3D is working fine. But I think Nvidia is a better choice. Further I would recommend a SSD as harddrive for your OS and P3D. Other Software should be installed on a different HD.

B. rgds.

Jörg

I agree with Jorg about the NVidia graphics card! I have both Nvidia GTX 570 and an Ati 6970 (both by Gigabyte)...the Nvidia definitely is the better "visuals experience" of the two GPU's. Unfortunately for me, the GTX 570 keeps crashing my system...I have tried running it on my other computer system (AMD bulldozer AM3+ Board) and its causes that system to crash as well! Im thinking there is a problem with the card.

However, when it is working (ie not crashing my system)...the Nvidia card visuals quality are noticeably better than the Ati card...they are like chaulk and cheese! The first time I used the Nvidia card after running the Ati one, I was absolutely blown away by the sunset I experienced in the simulator. I took off Eastbound from Brisbane Airport in Australia, climbed out and banked left until I was facing West. For the first time I saw an almost 100% realistic landscape and sunset in my simulator! That was the difference between the two GPU's for me.

One other thing I really find frustrating about the Ati card is it suffers from black spots in the simulator display...The Nvidia card doesn't do that. Its rather strange because the Ati card is a 2 Gig card and the GTX 570 is only 1280 Mbyte!

One would think the performance issues would be more likely to occur in the 1280 Mbyte card!

kind regards,

adam

Arismac

Postby Arismac » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 pm

While the wise men are assembled would you mind please taking a moment or two to advise me what my next upgrade should include. I use the machine exclusively for Prepar3D. After twelve months and about 3,000 hours (I am disabled and old so this is my only learning experience) the bugs are starting to appear such as taking longer to load scenery, occasional black patches and slower response times from the cockpit. I have not overclocked because I do not know how to. Many thanks.

I should have said that money is not an object. Apparently the Bank of Hades is not accepting Aus Dollars at the moment, so I had better spend it. LOL

adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:31 am

Quote:

Quote from Arismac on November 16, 2012, 20:17

While the wise men are assembled would you mind please taking a moment or two to advise me what my next upgrade should include. I use the machine exclusively for Prepar3D. After twelve months and about 3,000 hours (I am disabled and old so this is my only learning experience) the bugs are starting to appear such as taking longer to load scenery, occasional black patches and slower response times from the cockpit. I have not overclocked because I do not know how to. Many thanks.

I should have said that money is not an object. Apparently the Bank of Hades is not accepting Aus Dollars at the moment, so I had better spend it. LOL

Smartass!!! 8-) ;) your next upgrade should be what is shown in your signature. ;)

Arismac

Postby Arismac » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:27 pm

TA. I will upgrade the GTX and leave the rest as is then. Thanks

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”