[ANSWERED] Dual CPUs and prepar3d

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi guys,

I am interested in setting up an EVGA SR-X lga 2011 motherboard with dual Xeon processors on it. Unless ive have read the documentation incorrectly, I believe I can run dual processors at clock speeds of up to almost 4 ghz each on that board! (I am thinking water cooling may be necessary)

Does prepar3d in its current form support a dual cpu system, and would there be a noticeable performance increase?

kind regards,

adam

benniehanas

Postby benniehanas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 pm

those CPU's are locked, are you planning to gamble with IVY-E if it's compatible with your socket?

Can those locked CPU's clock to 4g? I wanted that board too.

Zach Heylmun

Postby Zach Heylmun » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am

Hey Adam,

We don't do any testing on multi-processor machines, but I can say that there will be significant overhead costs associated with running a system like that that will be difficult to overcome. That board is targeted pretty heavily at overclockers and heavy computation. To be perfectly honest, while Prepar3d can effectively utilize multiple cores, I really doubt that two processors will improve performance, and will likely hurt it due to the increased overhead associated with coordinating the processors. In addition, that board requires xeon processors, which carry a pretty hefty price premium. In short, if you are interested in purchasing the machine for better performance with Prepar3D, I would recomend that you save yourself some money (a lot!) and go with a speedy single cpu setup.

adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 am

Well you cant actually overclock a Xeon I don't think...the top of the line one turbo boosts to 3.8 GHz.

Zach, thanks for your information. you are right about the cost...the Xeon E5 series processors that run at a turbo speed of 3.8 Ghz are around $2000 each and the motherboard is upwards of $1000 too.

I was thinking of trying the dual cpu system simply because I really don't see very good performance out of my I7 2700K cpu on a P67 board. I am considering upgrading the processor and board to a i7 3770K (or even 3960X) on a newer board and see how I go.

Is there no benefit going multiple CPU over using multi channel systems that are networked?

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”