[RESOLVED] P3D not recognising graphics card

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
speedbird591

Postby speedbird591 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 am

I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M in my laptop but P3D doesn't recognise it. The only graphics card listed in the display settings is the onboard Intel HD card.

FSX recognises the GeForce but doesn't list the Intel HD.

How can I point P3D towards the GeForce, please?

speedbird591

Postby speedbird591 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 am

OK. I've solved this now but I'll explain what to do in case anybody else has this problem. The card is a laptop specific nVidia Optimus. It's designed to save battery power. The graphics comprises an onboard Intel HD plus the GeForce GTX. Under normal use the onboard card only is used until more processing power is required and then the discrete card kicks in automatically. So the Intel HD is the default initial card for graphics processing and the only one visible to programs.

To enable it to be recognised in FSX or P3D you have to select it in the nVidia control panel to be used by specific programs. It was automatically selected for FSX but I had to allocate it to the P3D executable. Now it is shown in the display settings and the display graphics are as I would expect in Prepar3d.

Ian

Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Postby Max Perry » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that Ian, I actually have had to do this too. Your method is the best to ensure it runs the graphics card.

You can also right click on the application shortcut and choose "Run with graphics processor" and select the card from the options.

Sand2Silicon

Postby Sand2Silicon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Quote:

Quote from speedbird591 on August 21, 2012, 10:44

OK. I've solved this now but I'll explain what to do in case anybody else...

+1 8-) !

Posting your solution in a forum is always appreciated! Someone will come by years later and be grateful.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”