[RESOLVED] Nosewheel steering taxying

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Martyson

Re: Nosewheel steering taxying

Post by Martyson »

@ John Khan ,
John

No problem.

Glad to hear all is ok.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

OK this is ridiculous.

Everything has been going fine for a few days.

I had noticed on a previous flight that the rudder pedals were centered but jiggling. so I twisted the controller right/left and they centered. The flight then went well.

This time, I started a flight and loaded the PMDG B738. The rudder pedals were showing full left, so I twisted the controller right/left and they centered. Pushed, started and began to taxi out. All good, then half way through the taxi it decided to turn left like before.

i tried re-booting the PC. Started P3D with only Chaseplane running, to get the views, and the rudder pedals on the default flight F22 also showed full left. They would not centre with twisting the controller.

The nosewheel was straight but went left as soon as started moving and, again, would not centre.

Then. after another restart and the same thing happening it all went back to normal, with the F22.

I have no idea, again, what it can be except for the controller. So I will get a new one and see what happens.

Now, all I have to do is decide which one to get.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ John Khan ,
John

You have not tried FSUIPC for Assignments and Calibration, correct?
Best Regards,
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

Again, thanks Vaugn.

Yes I don't know what to do but I will have a look.

I see the Joystick Assignments and I have just restarted P3D. As you can see, everything is on 0 except the Rudder which is jumping around like crazy.

I have, I think, reset them by twisting left and set. Then twist right and set. They have all gone back to 0. I'll give that a try.

No. As soon as I loaded the 737 they went back to full left rudder and jiggling about all over the place. How do I reset these?

Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

John Khan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 pm Thanks Dan.

I uninstalled p3d content and client a couple of times, the last time selected the "Repair" on the full P3D install window. Left it fir a day and came back.

Unfortunately this has removed all my good ORBX scenery but the steering is going straight again. This with the same controllers. So I am going to get everything back and hope it all goes back to normal.

Thanks again
'John
I just wonder, why you ask for help and then do something never suggested and completely insane.
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ John Khan ,
John

What is the FSUIPC version number you have installed?

Always test, assign and calibrate with the default P3D aircraft.

When you bring up the FSUIPC to calibrate the rudder (your first screenshot) just
depress the Left rudder pedal full left and hold it there
Do a screenshot.

then move the Right rudder pedal full right and hold it there
Do a screenshot.
Best Regards,
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

The Saitek X52 seems to have a Z-axis on the stick.
If this axis is assigned to "Rudder", you turn the stick and the plane moves left or right.
So maybe you check in the P3D controller settings and FSUIPC if P3D or FSUIPC have assigned this Z-axis to "Rudder" ?
And check/avoid double assignment of axis in P3D and FSUIPC, it leads to chaotic movements.
...just an idea...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Kevin,
You are correct.

Previously the OP mentioned:
"Saitek Pro X55 Hotas"
"I had noticed on a previous flight that the rudder pedals were centered but jiggling. so I twisted the controller right/left and they centered. "

So, in my previous post I should have said stick not rudder pedal.

Always test, assign and calibrate with the default P3D aircraft.

When you bring up the FSUIPC to calibrate the rudder (your first screenshot) just
rotate the stick for Left rudder full left and hold it there
Do a screenshot.

then rotate the stick for Right rudder full right and hold it there
Do a screenshot.
Best Regards,
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

Blaunarwal wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:15 am
John Khan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 pm Thanks Dan.

I uninstalled p3d content and client a couple of times, the last time selected the "Repair" on the full P3D install window. Left it fir a day and came back.

Unfortunately this has removed all my good ORBX scenery but the steering is going straight again. This with the same controllers. So I am going to get everything back and hope it all goes back to normal.

Thanks again
'John
I just wonder, why you ask for help and then do something never suggested and completely insane.
I am just trying to get this working as it did for years. So, whoever you are, ,if you don't jave anything useful to add. JUST BUT OUT.
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

OK> Sorry about that.

FSUIPC 6 for P3D V5.

I did the resets as was said with the joystick settings. It, sort of, worked but the steering was really wierd. The aircraft was turning but the nosewheel was not going with the turn and it was very jerky. I tried recallibrating in the P3D settings but they would not move.

This morning I started P3D again, with the default flight. Went to FSUIPC and the rudder settings are jumping up and down with no input from me. It makes me think that the control stick is faulty.

You can't see it on the screenshot but those numbers are jumping up and down between 12040 and 12060 and again, I am not touching anything. I tried resetting again but nothing worked.

Let us leave this here for now. I will get a new controller system and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, except for blaunarwal, or whatever that is.
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

As the X55 is a expensive piece, I would check if it is the real reason of the problem.
This could be done by simply unplugging it. If the problem remains, it is not the X55.

If not, I would check the assignments in P3D: Options -> Controller -> Axis assignment (on the left) -> "...X55..." (on the controller selection dropdown)
where you see all axis assignments for your X55.
I would look for an assignment of "Axis Steering Set" (in my case, it says "Rz" meaning the stick-twist axis of my T.Flight Hotas that I use as tiller).
This axis assignment can be deleted from P3D processing by the buttons on the bottom of the menu.
In the same menu I would check in addition the "Rudder" Axis, there should be no assignment, otherwise it can be deleted too.

In FSUIPC, as I don't use it for my Hotas, I get the same message "axis not processed" as you,
so I think, FSUIPC doesn't inject any value for the rudder/tiller in your P3D but just displays these wrong values of the device that delivers this axis.

So if my assumption is correct, that you don't need the rudder,
removing the input axis from the P3D controller-setting and not using it (means: assigning it) in FSUIPC may serve as a workaround.

BTW: the axis delivering the wrong values may be found in the Windows "devices&printers" menu, see
https://www.howtogeek.com/241421/how-to ... indows-10/ (example for an X-Box controller),
in the "test" tab, Windows shows all axis of a controller device with their actual input values.
Here you can look on the values that Windows (and from there P3D and FSUIPC) gets from the real device,
turning your stick's levers in all direction may lead to the defective one if this is the case.

These checks just need some minutes but exclude the possibility that these wrong "rudder" values may not result from the stick
but from a defective USB device elsewhere - interpreted as an axis.
John Khan

Post by John Khan »

Thanks Kevin

I tried everything I could think of, including the FSUIPC settings, which only made things worse. Nothing else helped.

I purchased the Thrustmaster TCA Officer controllers, included are the sidestick and throttle quadrant. I also got an extra throttle quadrant for the 4 engined aircraft.

The nosewheel steering went straight back to normal, so that X55 stick must have been the problem. (It was quite old).

I just have to work out how to calibrate the "Fwd/Idle setting in the throttle quadrant.