P3D V4.5 & Oculus Quest2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
DocVS1974

P3D V4.5 & Oculus Quest2

Post by DocVS1974 »

Greetings,

I finally decided to get my feet wet in the VR World and bought an Oculus Quest 2. So far, I am actually very impressed with the result and the overall performance. P3D V4.5 and the Oculus Quest 2 work very well and the system remains stable.

What I am still trying to figure out is what do folks use to actually control the buttons within the airplanes. I cannot get my mouse to work and wonder what the workaround for that is.

Researching in the forum here I noticed several conversations about the Oculus and P3D, but I did not really find any specifics for my question.
I noted one post addressing Fly Inside, but I cannot find anything on its functionality.

Again, overall I am very impressed of how well P3D supports the Oculus Quest 2. I am looking forward hearing from you if you have any insight on my question.

Greetings
Volker
aspen31

Re: P3D V4.5 & Oculus Quest2

Post by aspen31 »

Hi
Probably can't be too much help but I have used an Oculus Rift S VR from the 4.5 through 5.2. There should be a noticeable white dot which appears in the cockpit in the approximate position of the mouse arrow and that's what is used to manipulate controls in the cockpit. I'm not at the sim but I believe there is an option in VR settings allowing this dot to be activated. I'll check as soon as I can and report. This dot to me is less precise than the mouse pointer commonly seen and used in virtual cockpits but it is workable and improves with practice.
Sometimes (but not often) I have received suggestions by posting in the Oculus forum but this has not proved to be a friendly, knowledgeable environment for P3D / simulator type questions.

Warren (aspen31)
DocVS1974

Post by DocVS1974 »

Hi Warren,

I have noticed the white dot. However, I have not found a setting that will actually activate this dot.
Thank you for directing me into this direction.

Volker
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The actual on-screen mouse cursor is used and it's ray tested against the left eye view. The 3d ball shown in VR is placed at the location of the left eye ray cast and the cockpit model. If you're not seeing the VR cursor, or its not moving, make sure your mouse is hovering over the p3d window and the p3d window has focus. This works best on a single monitor setup, as it is possible to move the mouse outside of the p3d window. In this case there isn't a great way while wearing the HMD to know where the desktop cursor went. If your main app window on the far right or far left of your desktop, you should be able to move the mouse in that direction to get it back in focus.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
jem777

Post by jem777 »

Hi can i possibly request for step by step procedure on how to connect my oculus quest 2 with my B777 prepar3d v4.5?