turn on vr cursor in P3D v5.2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
robzol

turn on vr cursor in P3D v5.2

Post by robzol »

How do you turn on the cursor in P3D v5.2 so you can manipulate the switches in the aircraft to setup your flight?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: turn on vr cursor in P3D v5.2

Post by Beau Hollis »

It should be on by default. There are settings for tuning the size, color, opacity, and max hit distance as well. More info here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/prepar3d/ ... ality.html

If you want your windows mouse cursor on the 2d view to align with the location of the ball in 3d, you need to set your OnScreenDisplayMode to Single so that the left eye view fills the main app screen. Then (on the monitor) you should see your windows cursor with the vr ball drawing underneath it. In the headset you'll just see the ball.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
quid21

Post by quid21 »

After I upgraded I too had no VR cursor.

How do you switch it on?!!
dacia123

Post by dacia123 »

Same here - mouse cursor suddenly gone.
If I deinstall the VR hotfix for WMR it is back, but then the jittery head movement is also back :)

Thanks for any hints on how to reactivate the mouse cursor.

Using P3Dv5.2
WMR VR hotfix

Thanks a lot :)
quid21

Post by quid21 »

Hi Dacia,

I tried uninstalling the VR Hotfix, but now the VR option at the top doesn't show up.

I wish there was a proper fix for this, I want to get back into P3D, but as most who have tried know, once you try VR there is no going back to 2D!

Has anyone else got any solution for re-enabling the mouse cursor for P3D V5.2 in VR. I use an Oculus Quest 2 via Oculus link cable, RTX 3080, i9 10900.
Willie Nelson

Post by Willie Nelson »

I am having this problem too but interestingly only once I have either switched aircraft or location from default aircraft or location. It seems coincident with me seeing a cursor on the monitor but not inside the HMD.

This has been happening for a while. The workaround for me has been a change of default aircraft and location. Surely there is a better solution available. Can you help @Beau Hollis ?
Willie Nelson

Post by Willie Nelson »

Beau Hollis wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:03 pm It should be on by default. There are settings for tuning the size, color, opacity, and max hit distance as well. More info here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/prepar3d/ ... ality.html

If you want your windows mouse cursor on the 2d view to align with the location of the ball in 3d, you need to set your OnScreenDisplayMode to Single so that the left eye view fills the main app screen. Then (on the monitor) you should see your windows cursor with the vr ball drawing underneath it. In the headset you'll just see the ball.
I have confirmed that when I switch aircraft or location, I am still in single OnScreenDisplayMode as you suggested. It does sometimes appear that the cursor is visible inside the HMD however I cannot move it at all. I can move it on the monitor though......
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

One thing I noticed while testing WMR recently is that the cursor hover messages might not make it into P3D if the Mixed Reality portal is blocking the desktop and showing the "Press Win+Y" prompt across the top of the screen. I think input to the desktop is blocked when you're wearing the HMD, because I could see the mouse move when I took the HMD off my head to look at the screen but the cursor would remain station when I put it back on. If I press Win+Y to focus the desktop, I could then use the VR cursor while wearing the HMD. Unfortunately it seems like taking HMD back off and putting it back on can un-focus the desktop again.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect