P3Dv5.1 AMD Radeon Artifacts (White lines & Flickering)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
vurplex

Re: P3Dv5.1 AMD Radeon Artifacts (White lines & Flickering)

Post by vurplex »

Issue still the same in v5.2
AMD 5900x, 32gb@3600MHz ram, Sapphire Nitro+ 6900xt, Windows 10 Pro & 2tb NVME
light_blue_yonder

Post by light_blue_yonder »

Will just add that 6900XT user here experiencing the same problems as well.

Only 2x AA removes the artifacts, regardless of SSAA or MSAA. FXAA has no effect. Dynamic Reflections and Dynamic Lighting has no effect.

Observed at all airports in all aircrafts.
Fragtality

Post by Fragtality »

light_blue_yonder wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:15 pm Will just add that 6900XT user here experiencing the same problems as well.

Only 2x AA removes the artifacts, regardless of SSAA or MSAA. FXAA has no effect. Dynamic Reflections and Dynamic Lighting has no effect.

Observed at all airports in all aircrafts.
100% Confirmed!

... should have bought Nvidia again, P3D is unable to use the vram above 8G.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Do the artifacts show up if enhanced atmospherics and/or volumetric clouds are disabled? Once EA is disabled, you could also try disabling HDR. It would help us narrow down what might be causing the artifacts.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
vurplex

Post by vurplex »

Beau Hollis wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 pm Do the artifacts show up if enhanced atmospherics and/or volumetric clouds are disabled? Once EA is disabled, you could also try disabling HDR. It would help us narrow down what might be causing the artifacts.

Thanks
Artifacts specifically show up when there is more than 2x AA, still happens when there is EA, Volumetric Clouds, HDR or just legacy clouds and sky. However it is more noticeable with EA and an overcast sky (cloud shadows have no effect). To see the effect easily you can zoom out and you will start seeing it on flat terrain when the height of the camera is close to the ground. And the flickering in cockpits is caused in all situations with dynamic lighting on, however thats not related to anti aliasing.
mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

I actually have a seperate forum on AMDs website with the same issue but no-one has answered yet...
Cheers
Niels
Xsoctoz20

Post by Xsoctoz20 »

I contact AMD yesterday and they can confirm this issue is a Prepar3D problem not AMD card problem.. because on my card it runs perfectly on any other games like MSFS2020, this happend only on P3D so this is a shader issue from Prepar3D and not AMD. they said they hope P3D will make a update or fix for that because lot of people have ask amd about this question.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

If this is indeed a P3D problem, why does nVidia users not see it? That logic from AMD is faulty, IMNSHO.

Be that as it may, AMD users seeing this issue should prepare themselves for if (and when) a new P3D version comes out, by updating (and keeping updated) their graphics drivers and Windows 10/11.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Thomasfa

Post by Thomasfa »

Hi there,

P3D V5.2 HF1
I own a 6800 XT and I had the problem too. Strangely, the flickering started after I deleted the prepare.cfg and Prepare3D created a new one. I had created a backup of the previous cfg file and activated it again after the problem mentioned above. And the flickering was gone. Something in the new config file was causing the flickering.
I noticed 2 points in the comparison of the two files. However, I cannot say whether these differences have any influence.
First point:
FullScreenBackground = False (with old version = 0)
FullScreenAutoFill = True (with old version = 1)

Second point:
And in my new version there are 2x all entries from [STARTUP]
1x of these entries can be found in the section [USERINTERFACE].

Maybe that can be a reason? Otherwise, try a config saved before HF1.

Furthermore, on the advice of AMD, I use 2 extra PCIe cables instead of one with 2x8 PIN due to the increasing frequency of Device_Hung with the event "d3ddred2"

Thomas
Home base close to LOWL
I5 9600K@4.9 MHz; Radeon 6800XT; 32GB RAM
Multimonitor setup, 1 4K-TV , 3 Monitors
P3D V5.3; ORBX Global, Europe, NA
Windows 11
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

It would be very interesting to hear from other AMD users on this one.

Thanks for posting this -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
vurplex

Post by vurplex »

Seems this is confusing 2 issues that are unrelated (Other than being AMD specific), this thread is about terrain flickering lines not lines on the displays, Ive tested and it seems that if you change the size of the window (includes autofill) it seems to appear and re appear. Absolutely no effect on the terrain (Most likely because this is an issue with anti aliasing)
lkalam

Post by lkalam »

We've posted this time and again until we're blue in the face, but nobody is paying much attention apparently.

There *IS* an issue with AMD cards, evident VERY clearly also in default aircraft. Beau was in this thread, the easiest thing to do is get an AMD card and try it. 2D panels will show exactly what is going on (Mooney G1000, for example).
Lefteris Kalamaras
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
---------------------------
www.flightsimlabs.com
lkalam

Post by lkalam »

Even after the release of 5.3, the issue remains.

We have posted several screenshots of what the issue is exactly but the P3D development team is paying no attention to it.

If there are more AMD graphics cards users here, please add your voice to this post so you can be heard - we have customers complaining hard about this.
Lefteris Kalamaras
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
www.flightsimlabs.com
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ lkalam ,
Lefteris

Have you contacted AMD Support and gotten any reply?

Just for follow up:
I have FSLabs A320 and I use Nvidia graphics without problems so far (limited testing with P3Dv5.3).
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
lkalam

Post by lkalam »

Dear Vaughan,

I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you also for your report that it does not happen with NVidia - obviously, if it happened there too, the topic would not state "AMD Radeon artifacts" :D

This is something that Lockheed Martin need to address. It happens regardless of aircraft (add-on or default) and it's been replicated / reproduced with steps, screenshots and videos.

LM need to get in touch with AMD - nothing much we can do on our end.
Lefteris Kalamaras
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
www.flightsimlabs.com