Best hardware upgrade to utilize Prepar3D

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
JoaquinViggo

Best hardware upgrade to utilize Prepar3D

Post by JoaquinViggo »

I have gtx 650ti and i3 2120 @ 3.2 Ghz am looking to get an upgrade to fully optimize Prepar3D and in a dilemma over what hardware to upgrade. Which you think i should upgrade? Some said CPU plays bigger role in flight simming in some ways, but isn't GPU more important? I mean, GPU processes graphics when CPU process, stuff. Enlight me guys i'm in the dark.
JorgenSA

Re: Best hardware upgrade to utilize Prepar3D

Post by JorgenSA »

Your first priority is a fast CPU, as measured in clock rate.

It needs to be fast so that your GPU has something to process.

The number of cores does not matter as much as the clock rate.

Get an Intel CPU with a "K" suffix so it is unlocked and you can overclock it if and when needed.

Then you want a nVidia graphics card with as much VRAM as your budget (after the CPU) can afford.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
juxtapilot

Post by juxtapilot »

JorgenSA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:55 am Your first priority is a fast CPU, as measured in clock rate.

It needs to be fast so that your GPU has something to process.

The number of cores does not matter as much as the clock rate.

Get an Intel CPU with a "K" suffix so it is unlocked and you can overclock it if and when needed.

Then you want a nVidia graphics card with as much VRAM as your budget (after the CPU) can afford.

Jorgen
What kind of cooling do you need for that clock rate on your 7700K?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Air, with a Cooler Master TX3 EVO cooling tower.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.