Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Martyson

Re: Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Postby Martyson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Prepar3Dv4 was running fine with no modifications required.

Prepar3dv5 was unflyable. It would crash my graphics card.

My v5 was a default install (with the second patch - I only downloaded it a few days ago). I changed nothing. My graphic settings were low. So were my load times.

I found the problem - it had installed with the app priority set to below normal. I did not set this. It set like this on installation. This is a Honeywell issue. I'm just reporting it.

I've just been flying for the last hour in high priority and v5 is now fantastic. The load times are the same as v4 was (if not better), and the performance is better, and I'm loving the graphics. I have had no software crashes.

v4 had performance issues with me flying ORBX Brisbane, v5 doesn't. That was a great stress test.

I hope this fix can help others fly v5, and that Honeywell work out why it had installed on my PC to below normal setting.

Happy flying!
@JimmyWA ,

You mentioned:
“Did a lot of investigating, checking CPU usage, graphics usage, graphics settings, ORBX scenery settings, then checked on task manager and discovered that it's priority was set to BELOW NORMAL?”

Was this just by chance or did you find the information or get information from Windows Support / forums?

Now you mentioned:
"This is a Honeywell issue. I'm just reporting it."

What is Honeywell?

Are you still using HP Reverb VR ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JimmyWA

Re: Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Postby JimmyWA » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 am

Prepar3Dv4 was running fine with no modifications required.

Prepar3dv5 was unflyable. It would crash my graphics card.

My v5 was a default install (with the second patch - I only downloaded it a few days ago). I changed nothing. My graphic settings were low. So were my load times.

I found the problem - it had installed with the app priority set to below normal. I did not set this. It set like this on installation. This is a Honeywell issue. I'm just reporting it.

I've just been flying for the last hour in high priority and v5 is now fantastic. The load times are the same as v4 was (if not better), and the performance is better, and I'm loving the graphics. I have had no software crashes.

v4 had performance issues with me flying ORBX Brisbane, v5 doesn't. That was a great stress test.

I hope this fix can help others fly v5, and that Honeywell work out why it had installed on my PC to below normal setting.

Happy flying!
@JimmyWA ,

You mentioned:
“Did a lot of investigating, checking CPU usage, graphics usage, graphics settings, ORBX scenery settings, then checked on task manager and discovered that it's priority was set to BELOW NORMAL?”

Was this just by chance or did you find the information or get information from Windows Support / forums?

Now you mentioned:
"This is a Honeywell issue. I'm just reporting it."

What is Honeywell?

Are you still using HP Reverb VR ?
I'd like to say you spotted my deliberate mistake - but it was getting late. I wrote Honeywell instead of Lockheed. :) I've had a lot of experience with sims - started with FS1 in 1982 on a TRS80, and have had to fine tune DCS recently - especially the multi threading issue. When I went to see if that was the problem with Prepar3Dv5, I noticed that the priority was running below normal. That's how I found it.
Prepar3dv5: i7 6800k OC 4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4, RTX2080ti, Water cooled, C: NVME SSD, F; Flight Sims on SSD TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, CH Yoke, CH Rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs, ProFlight Switch Panel, GoFlight HW, HP Reverb, ORBX

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”