Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
JimmyWA

Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Postby JimmyWA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:45 am

Had no problems running v4 with high graphics setting, HP Reverb VR with an RTX2080ti. Just upgraded to v5 and it was unflyable. Had very very slow load times, sometimes not loading scenery at all, and then after flying for a while it would tell me it has run out of video memory (I have 11gb). It crashed my graphics card, and the only fix was to reboot my PC.

Did a lot of investigating, checking CPU usage, graphics usage, graphics settings, ORBX scenery settings, then checked on task manager and discovered that it's priority was set to BELOW NORMAL?

I changed it to high priority, and admittedly have only done a few flights, but the scenery load times have improved,performance has improved and I'm not getting the system crashes anymore.

If this below normal is a default it could be causing a lot of problems.
Prepar3dv5: i7 6800k OC 4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4, RTX2080ti, Water cooled, C: NVME SSD, F; Flight Sims on SSD TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, CH Yoke, CH Rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs, ProFlight Switch Panel, GoFlight HW, HP Reverb, ORBX

Martyson

Re: Prepar3Dv5 Set to Below Normal Priority By Default

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:18 am

Had no problems running v4 with high graphics setting, HP Reverb VR with an RTX2080ti. Just upgraded to v5 and it was unflyable. Had very very slow load times, sometimes not loading scenery at all, and then after flying for a while it would tell me it has run out of video memory (I have 11gb). It crashed my graphics card, and the only fix was to reboot my PC.

Did a lot of investigating, checking CPU usage, graphics usage, graphics settings, ORBX scenery settings, then checked on task manager and discovered that it's priority was set to BELOW NORMAL?

I changed it to high priority, and admittedly have only done a few flights, but the scenery load times have improved,performance has improved and I'm not getting the system crashes anymore.

If this below normal is a default it could be causing a lot of problems.
Just to verify.
Are you referring to the View Update Speed (updating the graphs you are looking at) in the Task Manager?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JimmyWA

Postby JimmyWA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:26 am

When P3d is running, I press Ctrl Alt Del to bring up Task manager, select P3d, right click, set priority - and it was set at Below Normal. Set it to High and all good. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to upload a screenshot, and don't want to have to upload it to a url first and then link it.
Prepar3dv5: i7 6800k OC 4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4, RTX2080ti, Water cooled, C: NVME SSD, F; Flight Sims on SSD TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, CH Yoke, CH Rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs, ProFlight Switch Panel, GoFlight HW, HP Reverb, ORBX

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:37 am

When P3d is running, I press Ctrl Alt Del to bring up Task manager, select P3d, right click, set priority - and it was set at Below Normal. Set it to High and all good. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to upload a screenshot, and don't want to have to upload it to a url first and then link it.
What else do you have running besides P3D?

Normally users are not having to change Priority.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:41 am

I tried to go Ctrl-Alt-Del to go to Task Manager, I selected Prepar3D, right-clicked - and did not see anywhere anything about priority?

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:45 am

I tried to go Ctrl-Alt-Del to go to Task Manager, I selected Prepar3D, right-clicked - and did not see anywhere anything about priority?

Jorgen
You should not have to be setting the CPU APP Task priority.

You need to add a step after right-clicked.

Select Details / P3D / right click / Set Priority.

Also you do not have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the Task Manager.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:05 am

"You should not have to be setting the CPU APP Task priority.

Also you do not have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the Task Manager."

This I knew already (my highlights).

So what you do to check the priority is go Ctrl-Alt-Del (or whatever way you prefer) to get to Task Manager, select Details first, then scroll down and select Prepar3D, right- click on it and then select Priority.

Mine was at Normal - haven't touched this since installation, so I wonder how come the OP's got set below normal?

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:10 am

So what you do to check the priority is go Ctrl-Alt-Del (or whatever way you prefer) to get to Task Manager, select Details first, then scroll down and select Prepar3D, right- click on it and then select Priority.

Mine was at Normal - haven't touched this since installation, so I wonder how come the OP's got set below normal?

Jorgen
"So what you do to check the priority is go Ctrl-Alt-Del (or whatever way you prefer) to get to Task Manager, select Details first, then scroll down and select Prepar3D, right- click on it and then select Priority."

Were you just repeating what I explained to you in my previous post?

Were you able to get to the P3D CPU Set Priority as I mentioned?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JimmyWA

Postby JimmyWA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:12 am

Jorgen
Thank you for clarifying how to set priority - I was being lazy and didn't want to start up P3D.

Totally agree. First time I've ever had a user installed app set itself to anything but normal by default.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am

Jorgen
Thank you for clarifying how to set priority - I was being lazy and didn't want to start up P3D.

Totally agree. First time I've ever had a user installed app set itself to anything but normal by default.
@ JimmyWA ,

My previous post:

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:19 am

Well, now we have easy-to-follow steps that makes a user even like me able to repeat the process, and see what his own settings are.

I cannot really understand why your priority ended up in the basement, so to say. But, because they were there, I can understand why the stuttering happened, and why setting the priority to High fixed the issue.

This would of course be made worse if you had other programs running - maybe even the reporting "stuff" that Microsoft blesses us with by default...

Jorgen

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 am

No easy to follow steps needed.

Microsoft makes these settings hard for users to find for a reason.

Normally users are not having to change applications CPU Priority.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 am

Let us take your three arguments in reverse order:

3. "Normally users are not having to change applications CPU Priority."

Agreed, fortunately not.

2. "Microsoft makes these settings hard for users to find for a reason."

Yes, for reasons only known to Microsoft. And, because of 2, we come to

1. "No easy to follow steps needed."

Totally disagree. With all the threads there ave been in these forums about stuttering of one kind of the other, this is the sort of troubleshooting steps/tools we need.

If this low priority setting can happen to Jimmy, then it can happen to others.

That is all.

Jorgen

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:53 am

"Totally disagree. With all the threads there ave been in these forums about stuttering of one kind of the other, this is the sort of troubleshooting steps/tools we need.

Who is "we" ?

Stuttering has been going on in the Flight Sim world for how long now?

I agree, it ok to disagree.

Microsoft makes these setting hard to find for a reason.

In this case I mentioned / asked the OP :

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JimmyWA

Postby JimmyWA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Prepar3Dv4 was running fine with no modifications required.

Prepar3dv5 was unflyable. It would crash my graphics card.

My v5 was a default install (with the second patch - I only downloaded it a few days ago). I changed nothing. My graphic settings were low. So were my load times.

I found the problem - it had installed with the app priority set to below normal. I did not set this. It set like this on installation. This is a Honeywell issue. I'm just reporting it.

I've just been flying for the last hour in high priority and v5 is now fantastic. The load times are the same as v4 was (if not better), and the performance is better, and I'm loving the graphics. I have had no software crashes.

v4 had performance issues with me flying ORBX Brisbane, v5 doesn't. That was a great stress test.

I hope this fix can help others fly v5, and that Honeywell work out why it had installed on my PC to below normal setting.

Happy flying!

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”