Potential GPU issue causing sudden increase in frame rates

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Scottish_aero

Potential GPU issue causing sudden increase in frame rates

Post by Scottish_aero »

Evening all,

I've tried my best to search for a solution before posting but with no luck. Hoping someone can help!

I recently installed P3D v4.5 (latest version) on my machine. Initially on each flight it works well but then every so often (sometimes on the ground, sometimes in flight) the frame rate suddenly drops considerably (down to 8/9 from above 20) and does not recover. At the same time I notice my GPU go from 50% to 100% while the CPU drops from 100% to 70/80%. The only thing I have been able to correlate to the issue is occurring is that it tends to be when I am switching views. Otherwise I can't see another consistent thing happening to cause it.

The only way this resolves is by me restarting flight simulator which is far from ideal. I've confirmed that my drivers are up to date and my settings are currently set to default P3D with it still happening.

Could anyone provide some advice on what could be causing this? Specs below, let me know if you need to know more info!

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor overclocked up to 4.5Ghz
12 GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (3x 4GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics card
Windows 10 home
1TB SSD
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Martyson

Re: Potential GPU issue causing sudden increase in frame rates

Post by Martyson »

Scottish_aero wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:43 pm Evening all,

I've tried my best to search for a solution before posting but with no luck. Hoping someone can help!

I recently installed P3D v4.5 (latest version) on my machine. Initially on each flight it works well but then every so often (sometimes on the ground, sometimes in flight) the frame rate suddenly drops considerably (down to 8/9 from above 20) and does not recover. At the same time I notice my GPU go from 50% to 100% while the CPU drops from 100% to 70/80%. The only thing I have been able to correlate to the issue is occurring is that it tends to be when I am switching views. Otherwise I can't see another consistent thing happening to cause it.

The only way this resolves is by me restarting flight simulator which is far from ideal. I've confirmed that my drivers are up to date and my settings are currently set to default P3D with it still happening.

Could anyone provide some advice on what could be causing this? Specs below, let me know if you need to know more info!

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor overclocked up to 4.5Ghz
12 GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (3x 4GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics card
Windows 10 home
1TB SSD
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Can you do a quick test flight with the LM P3D default aircraft at the default airport?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)