OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
bigcav

OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Post by bigcav »

Can the Oculus Quest be used for P3dv4.5?
CplDaniel

Re: OCULUS Quest - 128 GB

Post by CplDaniel »

How does the quest link with the sim machine?
Maybe I'm wrong, because I usually don't follow Oculus closely because I've long thought its market approach to be focused on short-term, gimmicky, VR hardware [Trigger Warning: My bias Oculus predisposition WILL bleed into the following π]. Isn't that intended to be a portable, stand-alone VR machine? Narrow FoV, relatively low resolution, with onboard processing and storage? I'm no expert, but I wouldn't invest resources to optimize P3D for the OculusQuest. I mean, you are going to be tied to hardware anyway, RIght? [Maybe if you had the LeapMotion interface built-in like on the ~ $5,200--$6k VRgineers XTAL, you could move away from many hardware-based control interfaces. But even then, I'd still keep a real HOTAS/Yoke]

If so, then because you are tied to the hardware interface for controlling the SIM anyway, might as well get a presumably much higher physical bandwidth connection directly to the sim machine & VR kit. I don't think the Oculous Quest was designed for P3D, and I don't think P3D programmers should devote time to optimize around Oculus Quest.

So, TLDR; I doubt it. But, I'd need more information...
Last edited by CplDaniel on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

bigcav wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:49 pm Can the Oculus Quest be used for P3dv4.5?
If you do succeed in getting P3d outputting to Quest (even if not officially supported), I would love to get your experience feedback-review assessing the performance and useful functionality of OculusQuest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I may have BIAS, but at least I'm open to review assessment & change!! :)
Daniel
kermode

Post by kermode »

I recently got an Oculus Quest and have been experimenting with this a bit. Still early days but here is what I've figured out so far...

1) You need to buy the Oculus Link cable from the Oculus site (beward 3rd party cables as apparently they are pretty inconsistent)
2) Once you have that make sure your Oculus Quest software is fully up to date (Settings --> About)
3) Install the Oculus software on your computer
4) Plug Oculus Link cable into your Quest and your computer (you'll probably need a USBC to USBA adapter)
5) Oculus Software on computer should prompt you to activate link
6) In Oculus Software go to General and enable unknown 3rd party apps
7) Fire up P3D and in the VR menu after loading a scenario choose Oculus
8) You should now be able to look around the cockpit with your headset on. Pretty cool!
9) There is an add on called 'FlyInside' that some people use so that you can use your Quest controllers in the plane

I've only just started with this (just got it working for the first time tonight) but will post more info later when I have more time to tweak settings and experiment with controls if folks are interested.
PLuto777

Post by PLuto777 »

Hi Kermode, any further news yet ? I have done your guidelines with my Oculus quest and i works great ! Tonight i will try Flyinside i.o. to use the controllers, i have some issues in finding and clicking buttons in the cockpit. There is also a white spot that moves with my view, but when directing the spot on a button, nothing happens (enter or mouseclick etc..) I ll do some tests
PLuto777

Post by PLuto777 »

Tried Flyinside, but seems to be a complete flight simulator (not p3d) - did not find info there how about using Oculus controllers...
kermode

Post by kermode »

I hear you, I found this a bit confusing also. If you go to the home page you'll find two different options for download. One says 'Virtual Reality Add Ons' the other says 'Flyinside Flight Simulator'. Sounds like you may have installed the second one, but you actually want the first (Add Ons) I'd uninstall the Flight Simulator then install the Add Ons version (if I remember the prompts were pretty straight forward for how to do this, but it's been a while since I tried.) Once you have it all set up you'll want to check out the user manual http://wiki.flyinside-fsx.com/index.php/Main_Page I'm no FlyInside expert but I did manage to get it working. I haven't had a ton of time to play with this set up however (I'm actually doing it to practice for my pilots license)

Hopefully the above will at least get you to the point where you are able to use the quest controllers. Good luck!
LRVR

Post by LRVR »

Does not look like FlyInside supports P3D v5. I too am looking for a way to use the VR controllers in the cockpit instead of the mouse with my Oculus Quest...
vtracy

Post by vtracy »

I have problem with my Quest:
I have installed latest Oculus software, latest nVidia driver, Windows 10 ditto.
In Oculus app, I added the HMD, it is recognized incl. controller.
BUT: When I start P3Dv5.2HF1, and go to Virtual Reality-Enable Virtual Reality-Oculus, I get a message saying: "The given HMD doesn't exist."
Has anyone had this? Both the software in the Quest and the Oculus software in the PC are the latest (I believe).
I did the cable test, it came out o.k., I tried other app: "Virtual Desktop": it works i.e. I can access my Windows app (P3D) with controller, can see the aircraft like on my monitor. ONLY difference: as soon as I click on Virtual Reality-Oculus under P3D, the screen resolution of my 49" monitor goes from 5120X1440 to 1920X1080 !
Bevore the Quest, I used the Rift S, it worked fine; as did the Quest. Then, I disconnected the Quest for recharging, and the problems started...

Any help much appreciated!
Volker
suaviter in modo fortiter in re
jem777

Post by jem777 »

Hi can i possibly request for step by step procedure on how to connect my oculus quest 2 with my B777 prepar3d v4.5?
stevehm

Post by stevehm »

I have the same problem with quest 2. It used to work but not since the upgrade🥂
Did you find a solution to get P3D to recognise the hmd

vtracy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:06 pm I have problem with my Quest:
I have installed latest Oculus software, latest nVidia driver, Windows 10 ditto.
In Oculus app, I added the HMD, it is recognized incl. controller.
BUT: When I start P3Dv5.2HF1, and go to Virtual Reality-Enable Virtual Reality-Oculus, I get a message saying: "The given HMD doesn't exist."
Has anyone had this? Both the software in the Quest and the Oculus software in the PC are the latest (I believe).
I did the cable test, it came out o.k., I tried other app: "Virtual Desktop": it works i.e. I can access my Windows app (P3D) with controller, can see the aircraft like on my monitor. ONLY difference: as soon as I click on Virtual Reality-Oculus under P3D, the screen resolution of my 49" monitor goes from 5120X1440 to 1920X1080 !
Bevore the Quest, I used the Rift S, it worked fine; as did the Quest. Then, I disconnected the Quest for recharging, and the problems started...

Any help much appreciated!
Volker
vtracy

Post by vtracy »

Stevehm,

it works now, most of the time😁 Sometimes, after I detached the Quest2 from the cable in order to load the batteriy, I find that P3D cannot find the device… I do not know if it is the USB connection or the Oculus software, I just start everything again, that usually helps.

Sorry, not very „scientific“ but I do not know how to test it methodically.

Volker
suaviter in modo fortiter in re