AMD or Intel

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Seralia

AMD or Intel

Postby Seralia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 am

Hey Captains

I fly now many years. Unfortunately, this DXGI_Error_device_hung has now reached me as well. installing old video drivers did not help. Updating windows to 1809 did not help either.

Anyway, I want to build a new PC. Now I'm afraid if I could get this error again with a new setup if I put on Intel.

I ask myself what is better for P3Dv4.
AMD or Intel

Feels AMD has fewer problems with this very recent error.

In addition, I have the feeling that AMD better copes with SSAA and dynamic light.

What is your experience?

Rather AMD or rather Intel?

does anyone here with AMD have the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG?

or problems with Performance and Dynamic Light? I got always a huge Performance hit wenn i enabled DL

Whats youre personally Experience with AMD CPU and Graphiccard?

I hope you can help me with your experience in my decision.

I look forward to your advice

WarpD

Re: AMD or Intel

Postby WarpD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm

All I can offer is that I have an i7 system with an nVidia graphics card and I've never seen this issue myself.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation

Simbol

Postby Simbol » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm

All I can offer is that I have an i7 system with an nVidia graphics card and I've never seen this issue myself.
+1
CEO Flight Sim Technologies Ltd
Oficial Website: https://www.FSReborn.com

ArtMan

Postby ArtMan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 am

My advice: forget the i7 and go for the i5 9600K.

I can overclock this one to 5 GHz+ without to high temp's.

//Arthur

sma69

Postby sma69 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 pm

A little bit late to reply but I if you haven't built the system yet, you might be in some luck cuz the new Ryzen 3000 series looks promising. just have a look over youtube for 2019 Computex and AMD....

Best Regards

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Tue May 28, 2019 1:23 pm

The most important property of the processor is not how many cores it has, but how high you can reasonably run it in terms of clock speed. As an example, my i7 7700K runs at 4.2 GHz out of the box, but I have it overclocked to 4.66 GHz without any cooling issues. Arthur's i5 9600K is another example.

Also, from the back rooms of my ailing memory, I read somewhere that Intel processors are more efficient than AMDs, because the Intels "process more" per clock tick - this is where my memory is a little hazy about the details, but the general drift is good enough.

Jorgen

CplDaniel

Postby CplDaniel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:46 pm

A little bit late to reply but I if you haven't built the system yet, you might be in some luck cuz the new Ryzen 3000 series looks promising. just have a look over youtube for 2019 Computex and AMD....
The AMD hype train is cyclical. And Major teething problems with a new design launch can reasonably be expected. Past AMD releases for Ryzen & Radeon many times eventually get major driver/bios updates after 6-months post-release yielding instant improvements of like 10% performance boost and power savings to finally deliver an experience close to what was presented during the launch campaign. I just saw a forum-post here written a few years ago about how great Ryzen x1700 8-cores blah, blah, blah... Then we had it again with the launch of Vega + HBM's super-massive Vram bandwidth. None of the hype stuck.
We know today with hind-sight, three years later, a Ryzen 1700 bought for $349 at launch is worth $120 today (comparable in price to an old i5 four-core), while the Intel i7 7700k from the same period is still worth $261 <--confirmed via ebay auction ending in 26minutes. AMD's last two promised revolutions Ryzen and Vega both flopped here once the hype died down. Everyone running Immersive P3d at high settings and no stutters is saying right now the only way is Intel i7+ & NVidia 1080+

Don't get me wrong, I watched Lisa Su give that 90minute computex presentation at least 3-times in one night and I've watched some segments at least a dozen times. I was on board the hype train, but the lessons from history knocked me back off after a few days.
Now I think the best promise we can hope for this year is going to be *PCIx (4.0)* for moving massive scenery data to and from CPU & gfx card IF-AND-ONLY-IF paired with ultrahigh-end new design to NVMe SSD's (which will need their own heatsinks and probably best get active-cooling to operate unstuttered) to deliver huge landscape and data-files @ double the bandwidth capacity of PCIx 3.0 --BUT WARNING-- SEE MY ABOVE STATEMENT on VEGA's Great Advantage of ultra-high-bandwidth vRam which ultimately never panned out in practice for users

(except for mining, but miners don't care what cards they get as long as they get 'em. They would run on toasters in the kitchen if they could flash new BIOS)
Daniel

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”