dxgi error device removed...

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Tomvz

Re: dxgi error device removed...

Post by Tomvz »

Found this solution on the internet, works for me 100% with P3Dv4.3 on Win10 64bit, Nvidia GTX1080ti and latest drivers.

The problem: a thing called TDR checker monitors the computer’s hardware, particularly the GPU. When the GPU stops responding with the computer for 2 seconds TDR checker restarts the driver. The TDR checker was good on paper but did not work in the real world as a GPU can stop responding when it is working hard.

Here is the solution that worked for me, it requires an extra sub key entry into the Windows registry, so please only implement if you feel OK with editing your registry!

- Exit all Windows based programs,
- Click on the Windows Start button, type regedit in the Search box,double-click regedit.exe from the results above.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation,
- Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
- On the Edit menu, click New, and select the QWORD (64-bit) value from the drop-down menu,
- Type ‘TdrLevel’ as the Name and click Enter,
- Double-click TdrLevel and set the value as 0 (it is set to that by default, but double check) and click OK,
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer for the changes to take effect!

I saw this fix mentioned earlier in this thread, but make sure you create a Qword (64bit) key for Windows 64 bit OS and NOT a Bword (32 bit) key because that wil not give the right result.

If you encounter a DXGI hung/removed error again please make sure that this key still exists in your registry!
It happened to me once that the key vanished after a Windows Update, resulting in the dreadful DXGI hung error once again.

I hope this fix can work for others too.

TomvZ
pile

Post by pile »

georgio52 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 am stick to 397.64
Thanks Georgio that's resolve the problem. I was finally able to take off from HAAB to DIAP with my nice Ethiopian QW787.

I hope NVIDIA will include one day Prepar3d in their support games. Maybe Lockheed Martin could push about this...

Regards

Pierre CYUL
iluvP3D

Post by iluvP3D »

pracines wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:39 am Possible solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWAVe1km_g
I have stopped receiving this BSOD since applying the fix in the video.

NOTE: Two posts above, someone had suggested that you need a 64-bit key if you are on Windows 64-bit. I am on Windows 10, 64-bit, and this actually made things worse for me. I therefore stuck with the 32-bit key solution, as originally suggested in the video. I also tried reverting the drivers to an older version, before this solution, and that didn't help either.
cjibbotson

I cannot cope anymore – DXGI ERRORS!!

Post by cjibbotson »

Hi all, first support post to the forum out of desperation :(

As the title says I cannot go on with the frustrations I have experienced over the past 2 or 3 months. I am getting DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crashes on EVERY flight and I am about to quit simming for good because of it! The sim could crash within minutes or takes hours though the most common times are during dusk, night or dawn.

I have read all the forums, all the Facebook groups, all the tips and tricks others claimed ‘worked’ to absolutely no avail and not a single one of them helped resolve my troubles.

Here are my system specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 240 mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3400C16D-16GTZ 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3400MHz C16
Graphics: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080Ti iChill X3 Ultra Graphics Card
Storage:
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD for OS
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD for sim
And a few 500GB Sata drives for additional storage
OCZ: OCZ Gold 1000W

Simulator: Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.3.29.25520

The most common ‘fix’ people claimed was to roll back the nVidia drivers. I have tried 399.07, 398.82, 398.36, 398.11, 397.64, 391.35, 391.24, 391.01, 390.77, 390.65, 388.71, 388.43 and 384.76. Each has been installed using the ‘Clean Installation’ method and installed after removing the previous with DDU in Safe Mode. Prepar3D 4.3 still crashed.

Others stated “it’s the latest Windows Updates” so I reinstalled Windows 10 which didn’t help. I started to notice 99% of those reporting getting DXGI crashes all had Windows 10. I set up a partition and a dual boot and installed Windows 8.1 and allowed it to be fully updated. Installing the latest or older nVidia drivers but all still gave me the same crash. I then downloaded from Microsoft the Windows 10 Build 1703 from March 2017, did a reformat, install and disabled Windows from running updates or downloading graphics drivers. The sim still crashed so it CANNOT be caused by either recent graphics drivers or a recent Windows update.

Other tips included under clocking the graphics card. I lowered the core and memory clocks by 100mhz…still crashed. I removed the overclock on my 6700K…still crashed. Many mention using nVidia Inspector’s frame limiter causes Prepar3D to crash…I have never used NI. Others said FS Spotlights…again I do not have it. I have tried the TdrLevel and also TdrDelay registry edits in both 32 DWORD and 64 bit QWORD forms. I have deleted the Prepar3D.cfg many times, added the ShowDeviceLostWarning=0 to the GRAPHICS area of the config. I have switched Debugging on in the nVidia Control Panel. I have deleted the shader files too.

I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 yet again and a fresh install of the sim, this time I only installed my ORBX scenery and Active Sky and did not install PTA. With Active Sky running or not the sim crashed. I started to hope it was Dynamic Lighting causing it but even with it off it crashed. Even on the default Carenado A36 aircraft I still got the crash when I left the sim running on autopilot…again around dusk time. It had been running for hours ok until I changed the time to closer to dusk. When I next checked back the error was there. I currently have no controllers attached as my Saitek Yoke and Throttles gave up the ghost, they were over a decade old and were gradually giving me problems so they are not to blame for the crashes. I did further tests today..all ORBX scenery switched off, no Active Sky, No PTA (not been installed at all in this OS installation) and the default Carenado A36. Left it flying from my local airport EGAA heading on a bearing of approx. 130 and it crashed approaching dusk!! The sim has crashed anywhere across Europe.

I am seriously fed up with these frustrations, why do simulators never work like every other programme? So in summary I have tried a fully up to date system, Windows 10 and the latest GPU drivers, I have tried up to date Windows with 18 month old graphics drivers, I have tried Windows 8.1 with old and new drivers, old Windows 10 1703 with 18 month old drivers and again back to a fully up to date system and ALL still fail….the only common denominator in each and every test is Prepar3D v4.3 but then how can that be the cause given those on v3 get the crashes as reported in a 12 page thread on these forums? I don’t sim that often but these crashes have only been noticeable from around the time v4.3 came out and they are becoming more frequent on the various Prepa3D Facebook groups. I am going to uninstall the 4.3 Client and test 4.2 but why should I go backwards?

Can Lockheed Martin PLEASE help as I’m begging you before I retire my sim to the great virtual airplane graveyard in the sky as life is too short for all this stress?

Chris Ibbotson
Martyson

Re: I cannot cope anymore – DXGI ERRORS!!

Post by Martyson »

Chris,
"I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 yet again and a fresh install of the sim, this time I only installed my ORBX scenery and Active Sky and did not install PTA."

Just to verify, did you test it (P3D) in a default state without any add-ons for a few days before adding add-ons?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

Some minutes ago, the same issue occured here (P3D 4.3, GTX 1070 with driver 388.71), so I will give TdrDelay a retry (increased to 15 secs).
Here some additional info from microsoft concerning TDR:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... d-recovery
and here the registry value description from 2017:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... istry-keys
Interestingly, even NVDIA states to increase this value to 10:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/Ns ... covery.htm
The different word-types 32 vs. 64 bits in VISTA/Win7 are mentioned here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-7, so I give QWORD a try.

BTW: I found hints, that increasing TdrDelay could lead to other problems ("super hard driver hang" as in https://community.amd.com/thread/196190)
cjibbotson

Re: I cannot cope anymore – DXGI ERRORS!!

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:57 pm Chris,
"I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 yet again and a fresh install of the sim, this time I only installed my ORBX scenery and Active Sky and did not install PTA."

Just to verify, did you test it (P3D) in a default state without any add-ons for a few days before adding add-ons?

Thanks for the reply, for some reason I am not being notified by email of your reply despite ticking a box, not in spam mail either. After my latest Windows 10 install I only installed Orbx scenery after a fresh install of P3D 4.3. I had to wait about 3 days for it to be reactivated as I was so brassed off last week I just wiped the partition and forgot to unlicense P3D first. I have unticked every Orbx item and disabled Objectflow from the Add On menu so now running the sim completely on default and it still crashes exactly as it has done the past 100 times. I have run tests for 2 days with zero weather engine, no shader modifiers, nothing controlling frames, no edits to configs etc and it still fails. Did an install of v4.2 Client last night, tested today..returned home to see yet again Device_Hung crash. Windows is 100% fully up to date and I have tried a good 12 nvidia drivers at least in reverse order and back to the brand new one..made no difference. Seriously had enough of all this. First we had years of G3D.dll crashes, then OOM crashes..now this is the thorn in so many simmers side

Chris Ibbotson
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Topics on the same Issue merged togther
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chris,

"I have unticked every Orbx item and disabled Objectflow from the Add On menu so now running the sim completely on default and it still crashes exactly as it has done the past 100 times. "

That is not a default P3D.

If I were you, I would uninstall all add-ons, Uninstall P3D, remove any left over directories/folders, reinstall P3D and do all testing in a default P3D state.

Also, when you have a crash it would be helpful to give info on what you were doing in the test setup and copy the contents of the Windows Event viewer .. Module causing the crash for review in the forum.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

KevinKaessmann wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm Some minutes ago, the same issue occured here (P3D 4.3, GTX 1070 with driver 388.71), so I will give TdrDelay a retry (increased to 15 secs).
Here some additional info from microsoft concerning TDR:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... d-recovery
and here the registry value description from 2017:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... istry-keys
Interestingly, even NVDIA states to increase this value to 10:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/Ns ... covery.htm
The different word-types 32 vs. 64 bits in VISTA/Win7 are mentioned here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-7, so I give QWORD a try.

BTW: I found hints, that increasing TdrDelay could lead to other problems ("super hard driver hang" as in https://community.amd.com/thread/196190)
Thanks for this I will read these later. I had previously seen another post about increasing the delay to 8 seconds but I still got DXGI crashes as with any other tip

Chris
pile

Post by pile »

Hello

I have rollback to 397.64 and this error is not comeback since this time.

Someones who have this issue have try to install the driver version 399.07. It correct the problem?

Regards

Pierre
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

Martyson wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm Chris,

"I have unticked every Orbx item and disabled Objectflow from the Add On menu so now running the sim completely on default and it still crashes exactly as it has done the past 100 times. "

That is not a default P3D.

If I were you, I would uninstall all add-ons, Uninstall P3D, remove any left over directories/folders, reinstall P3D and do all testing in a default P3D state.

Also, when you have a crash it would be helpful to give info on what you were doing in the test setup and copy the contents of the Windows Event viewer .. Module causing the crash for review in the forum.
I hope LM will reactivate my sim again as it recently ran out and I had to wait 3 days. Im not doing anything during the tests, the aircraft is flying on autopilot and could take hours for the error to occur, mainly around dusk or at night, Im often not in front of the pc when it occurs. I have no controllers, and have refused to purchase new ones after my last ones failed too much, whilst these crashes still occur on test flights. I will do a full removal and not install a single add on into P3D nor run any other add on like Active Sky. I do not think I get errors in Event Viewer, I will have to check again.

Regards

Chris Ibbotson
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

pile wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm
Hello

Someones who have this issue have try to install the driver version 399.07. It correct the problem?

Regards

Pierre
You are lucky as all these drivers 399.07, 398.82, 398.36, 398.11, 397.64, 391.35, 391.24, 391.01, 390.77, 390.65, 388.71, 388.43 and 384.76 have failed with me so I believe something else is causing it in my case.

Chris
pile

Post by pile »

cjibbotson wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:38 pm
pile wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm
Hello

Regards

Pierre
You are lucky as all these drivers 399.07, 398.82, 398.36, 398.11, 397.64, 391.35, 391.24, 391.01, 390.77, 390.65, 388.71, 388.43 and 384.76 have failed with me so I believe something else is causing it in my case.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I did a clean install of the 397.64 after downloaded it from nvidia website.

Did you try it?

Pierre
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

[/quote]

Hi Chris,

I did a clean install of the 397.64 after downloaded it from nvidia website.

Did you try it?

Pierre
[/quote]

Hi yes that is one of the drivers I have already tested as you can see in my previous post

Chris