out of available memory

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
thofmann

out of available memory

Post by thofmann »

I bought a new computer system and did a fresh install of P3D version 3.4, academic version.
After about 40 min of flight I regularly get the message "your computer has run out of available memory ..." and p3d crashes. At this time my task manager monitor shows 2814 MB RAM allocated to p3d (?)
Any idea how to manage this ???

System:
Windows 10
I7-6700K CPU, 4 cores, 4.00 GHz
RAM 32 GB
512 MB SSD, 9TB hard disk
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Addons:
ORBX Global, Vector, Europe, Germany North
A2A C182 Skyline
Mickeyj

Re: out of available memory

Post by Mickeyj »

Gues you raised your settings way too high.
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi Mickeyj,

Here are a few steps to help isolate the issue:

1. Ensure no add-ons are causing this issue be restoring Prepar3D to a default state by removing the following files:
PLEASE NOTE: This will likely remove your add-ons. Backup these files before deleting if that is a concern.
  • %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files
2. Reinstall add-ons one by one to attempt to identify if the issue is caused by an add-on. Run Prepar3D after each add-on installation to see if the out of memory issues persist.

3. Turn on Content Error Logging and report any issues here and to the third party developer of the add-on triggering the errors.
  • Settings -> Simulation General -> Content Error Logging
  • Errors related to content will be logged to a file %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt.
4. Disable features that are unnecessary for some use cases by modifying your Prepar3D.cfg
  • Disable SimDirector
    • [STARTUP]
    • LOAD_SCENARIO_TOOLS=0
  • Turn off shadows
    • [GRAPHICS]
    • SHADOW_QUALITY=0
  • Disable Avatar
    • [Avatar]
  • Stop various 3D model optimizations
    • [SIM]
    • OPTIMIZE_PARTS=0
5. Turn off AI Traffic. Often third party models are high quality and loaded as AI air traffic, which could quickly lead to out of memories if there are many memory intensive add-ons installed.
  • Options -> Settings -> Display Traffic (move all sliders to the left)
Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Bajszi

Post by Bajszi »

Hey thofmann,

I have similar hardware and addons. Have you found out what was eating up the available memory?
cookedinlh

Post by cookedinlh »

I get "out of memory" and a P3D 3.2.3 CRASH sometimes . . always at 7.9 to 8gig . . even though I have 16 gig installed . .is this a different issue? . . hardware related maybe?
ErikNL

Post by ErikNL »

Which add-ons are you using?
Bajszi

Post by Bajszi »

I have ActiveSky2016 and Orbx. I found a mid setting where Memory is staying kind of steady. I also use projectFLY's OOM application to monitor the memory usage. It's nice because it tells you in % so you don't always have to check the numbers. Until the 64bit version is out, this is the only way to play.
dkarati

Post by dkarati »

I have the solution for that. If your problem is still there please tell me I will try to solve it out without compromise graphics quality. Thanks
Fervex

Post by Fervex »

P3D 3.4 is not available anymore with our actuals Addon's, specific hardware and new PC's performances.
We have to wait the 64 bits delivery otherwise, no pleasure.
Wait and see what's going on.

@Adams: all your tips provided aren't solve out of the box installation when reaching more than 1024 texture resolution. I got oom after 2 hours without any addon's and Nvidia GTX 1070 8 go
joefackel

Post by joefackel »

Fervex wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am @Adams: all your tips provided aren't solve out of the box installation when reaching more than 1024 texture resolution. I got oom after 2 hours without any addon's and Nvidia GTX 1070 8 go
Check your driver version. There is an memory leak in newer NVIDIA drivers causing wasted VAS the longer your flight lasts.
System: 9900k - 32GB - 1080ti

Sim: P3D v5, ORBX Global, openLC, AS4 + SF3D, EZDOK3, ProSIM 737, GSX2, AIM OIC, PATC
Randy87

Post by Randy87 »

joefackel wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm
Fervex wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am @Adams: all your tips provided aren't solve out of the box installation when reaching more than 1024 texture resolution. I got oom after 2 hours without any addon's and Nvidia GTX 1070 8 go
Check your driver version. There is an memory leak in newer NVIDIA drivers causing wasted VAS the longer your flight lasts.
What he said. Roll back to 376.33 I can guarantee that's the issue. Surprising that neither LM or Nvidia has acknowledged this issue yet, regardless of who's fault it is.
MurisSaab

Post by MurisSaab »

Randy87 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:22 am
What he said. Roll back to 376.33 I can guarantee that's the issue. Surprising that neither LM or Nvidia has acknowledged this issue yet, regardless of who's fault it is.
I'm in the process of rolling back my driver to 376.33. In the meantime, has anyone with VAS issues been able to validate this fixes the issue?

Thank you
Muris
Randy87

Post by Randy87 »

MurisSaab wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:59 am
Randy87 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:22 am

I'm in the process of rolling back my driver to 376.33. In the meantime, has anyone with VAS issues been able to validate this fixes the issue?

Thank you
Muris
Did for me.