Saitek X-56 Throttle & Stick Programing Issue

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
DavidJA2

Saitek X-56 Throttle & Stick Programing Issue

Post by DavidJA2 »

I'm experiencing programming issues with the Saitek X-56 throttle and stick, in combintion with the PMDG 737NGX. Can anyone kindly advise?

Having duly reassigned the necessary throttle axes within P3D Settings-Controls, the twin throttles seem to work just fine in the 737's virtual cockpit. But no other programming step does. Whereas all button assignments to the Saitek switches test 100% okay within the Saitek programming app, they don't actually work on the aircraft.

Posts on the same subject over time suggest that FSUIPC can help resolve the issue, but PMDG have expressly advised against using FSUIPC to "calibrate" flight controllers (whatever "calibrate" means in this context). Some people have apparently overcome similar issues by uninstalling the Saitek programming app and just working with the driver. I don't understand how that would enable button assignments to the hats and switches on the Saitek controllers though ...

Maybe there's a simple solution to all this? Fingers crossed ...

Many thanks for any pointers that might assist this P3D/Saitek newbie!

Best wishes,

David
London
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Saitek X-56 Throttle & Stick Programing Issue

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

Which version of Prepar3D are you using? Also, which operating system and version are you using?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
DavidJA2

Post by DavidJA2 »

Hello Clifton,

Thanks for your swift response.

This is the P3D version installed: Prepar3D_v3_Professional_3.3.5.17625_Full.

Operating system is Windows 10 64-bit, Version 1607, Build 14393.187

Best wishes,

David
London
DukeSan27

Post by DukeSan27 »

DavidJA2 wrote:Hello Clifton,

Thanks for your swift response.

This is the P3D version installed: Prepar3D_v3_Professional_3.3.5.17625_Full.

Operating system is Windows 10 64-bit, Version 1607, Build 14393.187

Best wishes,

David
London
I don't have any issues, in 3.4 (or 3.3). You might want to check that the Saitek drivers are latest. There was a bug earlier that prevented the correct profile to be selected.

Also once finished editing close the profile editor, and then select default profile from the system tray X-56 icon, and then select the P3D profile again. Otherwise profile changes don't reflect in the key-presses.

Try doing the select default and select P3D profile cycle anytime keys are not working also.
Win10 / 7900X@4.7 / 32GB / 2x1080Ti SLI / 3x 4K 40" Samsung
Orbx FTX Global Base + Vector + FS Global + UTX USA
REX Texture Direct + AS2016 + ASCA
Saitek X56 + Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals
DavidJA2

Post by DavidJA2 »

Dear DukeSan27,

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. The driver should be the latest one, because I had some other startup issues which required a status check on the driver too.

Your recycling solution is certainly something new to try. I have tried simply restarting the profile editor, but never with the particular steps in sequence as you suggest. Watch this space!

Back soonest,

Best wishes,

David
London
DavidJA2

Post by DavidJA2 »

Dear DukeSan27,

Well here's interesting: I tried exactly your recommended method, by right-clicking on the Saitek/Mad Catz icon in the system tray. What I noticed is that the Default Profile is greyed out, so I couldn't select it at all. My custom profile was not greyed out, but of course that isn't what I wanted to select first.

Do you (or any other kind and helpful reader) know what might be going on here?

Also, should the profile editor open or closed when you make your default-then-custom profile selection sequence? I have assumed it doesn't matter. In any case, the default profile in my system tray stays greyed out irrespective of whether the editor is open or closed.

Thanks - and hoping I can get to the bottom of this!

Best wishes,

David
London
DukeSan27

Post by DukeSan27 »

DavidJA2 wrote:Dear DukeSan27,

Well here's interesting: I tried exactly your recommended method, by right-clicking on the Saitek/Mad Catz icon in the system tray. What I noticed is that the Default Profile is greyed out, so I couldn't select it at all. My custom profile was not greyed out, but of course that isn't what I wanted to select first.

Do you (or any other kind and helpful reader) know what might be going on here?

Also, should the profile editor open or closed when you make your default-then-custom profile selection sequence? I have assumed it doesn't matter. In any case, the default profile in my system tray stays greyed out irrespective of whether the editor is open or closed.

Thanks - and hoping I can get to the bottom of this!

Best wishes,

David
London
Ok, greyed out mean's it's already selected, so you just need to selected your custom profile.

The editor should be closed while making selection.

But one thing to note is that when you launch the editor, it will start editing the current profile. So if default is greyed out then that's what you end up editing. The ideal sequence should be:

1. Select your custom profile from system tray icon
2. Launch the editor, make changes. Save.
3. Close editor (so that it's no longer in the task Bar)
4. Select default profile.
5. Select custom profile.
DavidJA2

Post by DavidJA2 »

Dear DukeSan27,

Firstly, sincere apologies for the long delay in acknowledging your further advice. Unfortunately work priorities intervened since then to ground this sim pilot.

I had a fast attempt at following your sequence immediately after your post, but without success. More careful examination today seems to confirm that the X56 will not currently permit me to switch out of default at all. Need to raise a support ticket with X56 after a clean reinstallation. (How I wish these products would just work first time, without issues and contorted workarounds!)

I'll report back when there are further developments - hopefully, resolution.

Best wishes,

David
London
DukeSan27

Post by DukeSan27 »

DavidJA2 wrote:Dear DukeSan27,

Firstly, sincere apologies for the long delay in acknowledging your further advice. Unfortunately work priorities intervened since then to ground this sim pilot.

I had a fast attempt at following your sequence immediately after your post, but without success. More careful examination today seems to confirm that the X56 will not currently permit me to switch out of default at all. Need to raise a support ticket with X56 after a clean reinstallation. (How I wish these products would just work first time, without issues and contorted workarounds!)

I'll report back when there are further developments - hopefully, resolution.

Best wishes,

David
London
No issues.

Actually you can just edit the default profile and put your key assignments in it. At least till Saitek gives you a fix.