my 3rd display won't connect

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
QuattroOMG

my 3rd display won't connect

Postby QuattroOMG » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Hello, i just bought my self my third monitor, i have one BenQ XL2720Z and 2 BenQ RL2455HM. I've always used 2 monitors but i decided to go for 3 monitors because my graphics card can handle it, and i like it to game on 3 displays. My graphics card is the AMD Radeon R9-255/2G with a DVI, DP & HDMI port i bought a DP to HDMI cable and put that one in my main monitor the BenQ XL2720Z. I use the DVI to DVI and HDMI to HDMI on my other 2 BenQ RL2455HM Monitors but one can connect while the other goes stand bye. What can i do!? i alrady re installed all my drivers etc. and in Eyefinity my 3rd display wont show up either. sorry for my bad english..

alaxus

Re: my 3rd display won't connect

Postby alaxus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:27 pm

You don't say which brand of video card you have and just because it has multiple ports does not mean that they all output individually. In some cases if you use the hdmi port the dvi or the display port will switch off.
So either your version of the card cant handle 3 monitors or you have a cable problem. DP to hdmi are not the best cables to get. I have found most don't work due to the port spec inconsistencies.

Your BenQ XL2720Z has a DP port so I would use it. DP to DP.

Then I would troubleshoot. Connect 1 monitor at a time with the connection you are going to use with it, if it works move on to the next one, if they all work individually then connect all 3. If it fails to run all 3 then its most likely that your video card has an issue.

MHargrove

Re: my 3rd display won't connect

Postby MHargrove » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:00 pm

He does actually say he's got a Radeon R9-255/2G graphics card, and the specs on that card say it will drive three monitors.

I don't haven't used a Radeon card in years, but you might take a look at the 'control panel' (maybe still called the "Catalyst Control Panel" ?) and see if you need to tell the card to use all of the monitors you have plugged in -- you definitely have to do that with Nvidia cards. By default, many Nvidia cards will not even recogize a third or fourth monitor without changing the default setup via the Nvidia control panel.

Also, uh, kinda don't know how to say this, but a Radeon R9-255 is an extremely low-end card these days. It's like half the performance of an Nvidia 750Ti, which is itself massively obsolete at this point in time.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”