New GPU for v2.2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Hi K,

Whilst the extra VRAM may come in useful if using triple monitors there's not much difference in performance but quite a difference in price.

Nvidia are due to release the 8 series cards later this year and those reportedly will have a good % increase in power.

So you must ask yourself with consideration for future developments vs price and affordability vs time expected to use before upgrading again.

If price is not a problem buy 2 Titan blacks then upgrade again later this year.

If price has more consideration then buy 1 GTX780TI and wait for the 8 series cards.

There are also some 6GB 780 cards coming out shortly ;)

Regards,

Saul.
Mazo43

Post by Mazo43 »

There is a GTX780 6GB coming - see the link for info. http://www.evga.com/articles/00830/

I'm running a EVGA GTX670 2GB and although it is pushed pretty hard, it does the job for me -- for now anyway!!

Lyn
Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi K,

Whilst the extra VRAM may come in useful if using triple monitors there's not much difference in performance but quite a difference in price.

Nvidia are due to release the 8 series cards later this year and those reportedly will have a good % increase in power.

So you must ask yourself with consideration for future developments vs price and affordability vs time expected to use before upgrading again.

If price is not a problem buy 2 Titan blacks then upgrade again later this year.

If price has more consideration then buy 1 GTX780TI and wait for the 8 series cards.

There are also some 6GB 780 cards coming out shortly ;)

Regards,

Saul.
Snave

Post by Snave »

Given we have yet to learn what SLI will bring, I'd be inclined to wait. Possibly one super-whopper mega-RAMmed card will be the way to go, or it could be that the inbound optimisations suddenly make two lesser (cheaper) cards the dogs-doodads.

We just don't know, so advice right here, right now, is speculation not information.
No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

Thank you gents, I've 3x 27' 1900x1200 screens at the moment and intend to see about a 4k large TV at some point in the future if a) it is acceptable quality and b) the rate at which they become more affordable :p I do wish double Titan blacks were affordable right now but sadly not, one would be the best my budget would stretch to...

Agreed on the speculation Simon, just given the output of some of the beta testers (Robains springs to mind!) I wondered whether it would be possible to get a heads up on whether 3+Gb VRAM would be likely to make much difference at all. My trusty old 7950 easily used all its 3 Gb quite often under 2.1 even on only one display but will have to limp onwards I guess until the mists of hardware uncertainty begin to evaporate.
nightbeast

Post by nightbeast »

Your 7950 should be ok when 2.2 releases. They reduced the trees memory consumption by 17%, meaning memory won't be as big of an issue come 2.2 release. I would wait and see how your card works come 2.2
nightbeast

Post by nightbeast »

Your 7950 should be ok when 2.2 releases. They reduced the trees memory consumption by 17%, meaning memory won't be as big of an issue come 2.2 release. I would wait and see how your card works come 2.2
nightbeast

Post by nightbeast »

Snave

Post by Snave »

So good, he copied the information thrice...
No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...
francescodoenz

Post by francescodoenz »

I am actually considering a new graphics card and I am looking into this problem. For the time being I started to monitor the vram usage with GPU-Z, and with my flying habits, using photoscenery without autogen, my vram usage goes not beyond 1,6 GB! Consequently there is at least for me no reason to go for a 6GB card like titan! The clockspeed is far more important, and in this view obviously the 780ti and its variants is faster and to be preferred to the titan:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graph ... and-4k/31/

For basics about GPU's:

http://www.enthusiastpc.net/articles/00001/2.aspx
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, 9700K, 2xRTX2080TI NVlink, 16GB G.Skill DDR4-4600, 2xAlphacool Eiswand, Coolermaster HAF-X
minime

Post by minime »

You only need 6GB if you are using triple monitors. IF you use triple monitors, you really NEED 6GB.

Anyway, dont buy a Titan, because there will soon be better cards for a much lower price.

If you use SLI you still need TWO 6GB cards, so SLI will not help you.
Nullack

Post by Nullack »

Minime the performance maxwell generation nvidia chips are rumoured for not until q4 2014
Luis Vargas

Post by Luis Vargas »

If I'm not mistaken, the attached snapshot shows that, although with low CPU utilization rate (i5 3570K), the frames are limited by the GPU because I have a midrange video card (GTX570). It seems that now the Vegetation is being processed more intensely on GPU.

http://www.terra-brasilis.org/forum/ind ... 3875;image