Rudder control

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
shermank

Rudder control

Post by shermank »

Greeting’s pilots,

I use P3D v5.3 with FSUIPC 6 and have rudder issues. Some aircraft work perfectly. But others may not work at all or get stuck to one side. I have tried correcting these issues using the options in P3D as well as FSUIPC. I am aware that using both at the same time is not a correct method. I am curious as to why the default rudder settings with P3D and FSUIPC disabled will work with some of my fleet but not others.
BTW, I am using CH rudder pedals. According the calibration within P3D the z axis responds perfectly as do the x and y for toe brakes. So, as far as I can determine the hardware is not broken.
Thanks for ideas.

Sherm
Martyson

Re: Rudder control

Post by Martyson »

shermank wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:43 pm Greeting’s pilots,

I use P3D v5.3 with FSUIPC 6 and have rudder issues. Some aircraft work perfectly. But others may not work at all or get stuck to one side. I have tried correcting these issues using the options in P3D as well as FSUIPC. I am aware that using both at the same time is not a correct method. I am curious as to why the default rudder settings with P3D and FSUIPC disabled will work with some of my fleet but not others.
BTW, I am using CH rudder pedals. According the calibration within P3D the z axis responds perfectly as do the x and y for toe brakes. So, as far as I can determine the hardware is not broken.
Thanks for ideas.

Sherm
Hello shermank .
Sherm

I use P3D Academic 5.3HF2 (5.3.17.28160), FSUIPC 6 Version 6.1.9 and CH pedals.

All ok on my setup.

My initial thought is you have axis / key "assignments" conflicting.

What are you using for a yoke and throttle?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
shermank

Post by shermank »

Thanks, Martyson,

Yoke and throttle are Saitek...all rather old...the rudder pedals are plugged into a USB female jack on the Saitek yoke base. I think that I should get an extender cable to plug the pedals directly into a usb slot on my PC..
Thanks\

Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

shermank wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:26 pm Thanks, Martyson,

Yoke and throttle are Saitek...all rather old...the rudder pedals are plugged into a USB female jack on the Saitek yoke base. I think that I should get an extender cable to plug the pedals directly into a usb slot on my PC..
Thanks\

Sherm
"the rudder pedals are plugged into a USB female jack on the Saitek yoke base"

I never plug anything in there even when I had it powered.
Pedals, always directly into the PC's USB port.
Best Regards,
shermank

Post by shermank »

Thanks...looks like I will have to buy an extension cable...
Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

shermank wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:48 pm Thanks...looks like I will have to buy an extension cable...
Sherm
First, quick test.

Move the pedals close enough to the PC to use its port and test operation with your hands or a stick ....

My CH pedals were replaced after 10 (or so) years.

Next thought.
Purchase a USB 2.0 powered 7 port HUB instead.

extension cable ... always good to have on on hand.
Best Regards,
shermank

Post by shermank »

Hi Vaughn,
Thanks...I have hooked up the extension cable to an open usb female port on my computer case.
I hoped this would solve all problems, but it has duplicated one that I have been trying to solve before bringing it to the forum

P3D appears to be confusing my control systems. For example, if I set Engine Auto Start on my throttle box using Button 1, that Button is also triggered on the yoke...
In other words, as noted above, the program is not distinguishing between separate control units, even though each pedals, yoke and throttle quadrant are clearly identified and numbered in the controller menu under the Options category.

Sherm
shermank

Post by shermank »

Since I made my latest post on this I did a google search for "p3d duplicates settings on yoke and throttle quadrant". That returned several related posts within the P3D forums...
I am still hoping for any specific suggestions here in re my overall control issue, but I will continue to explore solutions found elsewhere in the forum. Thanks

Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi shermank ,
Sherm

Assuming you are using /testing FSUIPC.
Best to contact FSUIPC support.
Best Regards,
shermank

Post by shermank »

Martyson wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:11 pm Hi shermank ,
Sherm

Assuming you are using /testing FSUIPC.
Best to contact FSUIPC support.
Thanks…good point…truth to tell, there are so many hoops to jump through with FSUIPC. For example, I have never figured out how to use the axis calibration. I have always used P3D controls for throttle, props, mixture, rudder, toe brakes. Rudder works fine on some aircraft, but not all.
I guess I will have to go back to class and learn more about FSUIPC 6 and I have the paid version.

Sherm