Use of GPU up scaling feature in Nvidia cards

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Dutchman

Use of GPU up scaling feature in Nvidia cards

Post by Dutchman »

I upgraded to a 4K 55” tv/monitor (Samsung Qn90A series that supports gaming and HDR). I have an RTX 2080Ti GPU for rendering. Native resolution is 3840x2160. To increase rendering performance I wanted to render at a lower resolution and output at full native resolution by letting P3d perform the scaling. When I set to lower resolution (full screen mode) in P3d and let it scale to my resolution I get a kind of reasonable image but it but a tad blurry. My RTX GPU has the ability to HDR render as a scaled and sharpened output at the GPU level which providers a much crisper output (I am not talking about DLSS as I know P3d first support that feature yet). How would I set up P3d graphic parameters (and Nvidia parameters) so P3d accepts a fully rendered and scaled/sharpened 3840x2160 source image? Whenever I attempt this by selecting a scaling level lower than native in the GPU control panel and native resolution in P3d I end up with the original non scaled image in P3d my GPU control panel indicates the the resolution has switched back to native 4K 3840x2160 on my GPU -which looks great but has moderate to poor performance with all of my ads-one. However when I set P3d resolutions to match GPU scaling resolution (like Nvidia recommends) I get a very sharp upscaled image rendered at the lower resolution but the image is very very high contrast with too bright of whites. Am I doing this correctly? Should the brightness and contrast change that much? How do I deal with the brightness issue? Turn off HDR in P3d and fiddle with the brightness sliders?