G2 Reverb stopped working

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
stanearnhardt

G2 Reverb stopped working

Post by stanearnhardt »

I’m getting the following message: your virtual reality device reported the following error: VRCompositorError_TextureUsesUnsupportedFormat Prepar3D will now exit virtual reality.

This message then leads to a computer freeze that requires task manager to shut down and exit.

This problem just began this week. I have spent hours trying to find the “bug”, but it seems a bit random.... sometimes I can get VR started..but most times not. Occasionally the message will pop up during a VR flight and cause a freeze.

Please help....
Maxcat506

Re: G2 Reverb stopped working

Post by Maxcat506 »

I'm getting the same message with my G2 Reverb with WMR and Steam VR after new install of Prepar3D v5.2.
VR worked in v5.1 but the VRAM over-allocation problem lead me to uninstall and switch to MSFS 2020.
Darn.
Willie Nelson

Post by Willie Nelson »

I'm getting this too and I'm still using Version 5.1. It happens as soon as I switch to SteamVR and then it is followed by the SteamVR critical error message.

I have only just installed P3D Version 5.1 havnig upgraded a couple of days ago from 4.5 but I am at a loss.
stanearnhardt

Post by stanearnhardt »

I’m still on 5.1 and never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been working on a clean install, checking after each add on. After installing pmdg 737ngxu I got the “DGXI HUNG error and when I restarted, this error returned. I then uninstalled pmdg and deleted the file folders , but error persists...even when just loading the stock airport and plane.
stanearnhardt

Post by stanearnhardt »

UPDATE: after reading the thread on DGXI HUNG errors, I tried lowering my FPS to 30 and so far I it seems to have worked. I reloaded pmdg and flew a short flight with no crashes.
Willie Nelson

Post by Willie Nelson »

stanearnhardt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm UPDATE: after reading the thread on DGXI HUNG errors, I tried lowering my FPS to 30 and so far I it seems to have worked. I reloaded pmdg and flew a short flight with no crashes.
Is there some way I can avoid a CTD without limiting things to 30FPS?
stanearnhardt

Post by stanearnhardt »

First flight today CTD...so 30 FPS not the solution. The only software I’ve updated since this all started is Pro ATC X and steam and windows.

I’m going to scrub off The ATC program and if problem persists it seems it has to be a steam vr problem., or a windows issue.

I suppose I will set up my new Vive Pro 2 and if that doesn’t solve this problem I’ll be leaving P3d for good. MSFS is not ready for serious simmers, so I guess I’ll be getting a lot of stick time in my F16 and DCS.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Have you tried updating to v5.2? There were a number of improvements and fixes for VR as well as improved VRAM management. We've received positive feedback from a couple of Reverb customers, and we've done in house testing with Reverb G2 as well.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
stanearnhardt

Post by stanearnhardt »

Thank you for your suggestion Beau. After my last post I discovered that my windows install was broken and hadn’t updated since April. After a very frustrating weekend, I was finally able to get my windows updated. At that point, I decided to go with a clean install of the vive pro 2. BOY WAS I DISAPPOINTED….the vive pro 2 is very inferior to the reverb g2. I will update to 5.2 and give the reverb another try. Thanks for your help.
Arvid

Post by Arvid »

does the hp reverb work with p3d4.5 at all? I can start it but as soon as I check steamVR in the top menu of p3d, prepare3d closes immediately.

Kind regards,

Tiger8
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The reverb did work in v4.5 when it was released. The reverb G2 was not out yet of the release of v4.5, though I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work. It's possible that updating drivers, steamvr, and/or windows/windows-mr portal might help resolve the issue you are seeing. The newer mixed reality portal versions added a feature for running win32 apps so that they could use the new chromium based Edge browser in MR. When they did that, they changed the MR runtime to create 4 virtual monitors that are used for the 32-bit app emulation. If you google it, i believe there are ways to disable that behavior in registry or via settings depending on windows version. It's possible that those extra monitors might be messing with our app especially when you enter/exit full screen mode.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
newmanix

Post by newmanix »

I can also confirm HP G2 CTD's the second I select VR.
sarahroxon

Post by sarahroxon »

Willie Nelson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:23 am I'm getting this too and I'm still using Version 5.1. It happens as soon as I switch to SteamVR and then it is followed by the SteamVR critical error message.

I have only just installed P3D Version 5.1 havnig upgraded a couple of days ago from 4.5 but I am at a loss.
Thank you! This is happening to me as well slope game, and I'm still on Version 5.1. It occurs as soon as I switch to SteamVR, and then the SteamVR critical error warning appears.
pliph

Post by pliph »

newmanix wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:22 pm I can also confirm HP G2 CTD's the second I select VR.
I am also experiencing this.
Got the G2 specifically for P3D v4.5 but CTD at each attempt.
Is the HP G2 working at all with v4.5 (latest build).
autopiloth

Post by autopiloth »

Same for me:
Every second flight, when at ground and just before taxiing to RWY I get this annoying error with my Reverb G2:
"Your virtual reality device reported the following error: VRCompositorError_TextureUsesUnsupportedFormat Prepar3D will now exit virtual reality"

Most annoying is that I have to close P3D and cannot simply restart SteamVR or else. It makes the combo Reverb G2/ P3D unusable.

P3d 5.2, PMDG 737 NGxu. VR: "STEREO", "Update". Happens at all airports.

I hope there can be a fix soon.

Thorsten
sim-wings