Dual Boot P3D

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
boleyd

Postby boleyd » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:01 am

Is there a way to use P3D in a dual boot W7 32 & 64 bit? I run in 32 now but want to also try 64 but I need to activate it and already activated in 32??

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:10 pm

OK, I'll bite .. Why, if you can run Windows 7 64, would you ever want to go back to running Windows 7 32 bit (on the same machine). ?

P3D (and FSX) are both going to run "better" on a 64 Bit OS -- why would you even want to run in 32 bit mode.

But, to try to answer your question, ( Licensing "Registration" issues aside, you might want to Uninstall P3D from your 32 bit system, re-install it on your 64 it system. When you install it, do not install it in the default PROGRAMS: directory, but instead, in say C:\P3D\

Since P3D is a 32 Bit application, it should start when called from C:\P3D\ , whether you are booted as a 32 or 64 bit OS.

Another advantage of installing P3D (or FSX) outside the OS's PROGRAM directory, is that it will be outside the stricter security area of the Program area -- so it will remove the need to run the application as Administrator, and will help when you come to edit files in that non-program area, as the file modification security will not be as strict.

I run FSX from G:\FSX| and P3D from F:\P3D ... when I need to edit one of their files with say Notepad, it's far less of a security issue, but I can keep other programs in the PROGRAM area, operating with the default Windows 7 high security (ie Must run as Administrator, asked before editing anything etc etc )

Also, in theory, P3D should run a little faster OUTSIDE of the PROGRAM folder structure, as the OS will be doing less security checking.

Might gain you an extra 1 Frame/sec , if you are lucky, but every little bit helps !!

Geoff

gandy

Postby gandy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:37 pm

to run P3D on a dual boot, i would think you are better off contacting licence support to get a yes or no as they would have to deal with your request to unlock the sim.

boleyd

Postby boleyd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:52 am

I understand the licensing issues. I was just wondering if there was a way to accommodate a dual boot.

I haven't moved everything over to 64 bit yet so that it would be nice to grab P3D after I have just "done" my checkbook.

I have W7 64bit on the same disk as P3D. I do this because I believe that I may get better P3D performance from the 32 kb disk buffer if I am loading contiguous files while flying a straight course.

Will do the re-licensing and that will encourage me to get everything else over to 64 bits.

Return to “Other Support Questions”