Custom Weather stops aircraft engine

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Lapun

Postby Lapun » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 am

When flying with a standard weather theme selected everything operates smoothly and normally, however a change to a custom set of clouds (eg overcast stratus base 6000, tops 10000 with no wind or visibility changes; through the 'customise' to the 'advanced' dialogue boxes after selecting 'user defined' weather, on pressing ' apply' then 'accept' the picture returns: without selected clouds) and the aircraft engine stops, airspeed at zero, no control response, falls from the sky with no starting the engine with 'control E' - the engine turns over, coughs and dies immediately.

After the engine stops a different aircraft selected also presents with the engine stopped, so the program must be closed down and restarted to reset everything as normal, but any attempt to have a user defined weather theme results in the same scenario. I have been using this simulator for a week since installation, and this is the first time at trying to use a user defined weather theme.

This is a standard Prepar3D academic installation with no 3rd party add ons. The sequence of events described above also occurs when on the ground with engine running and attempting to customise the weather.

There is an FSX sim installed on the same PC which operates normally when using the same custom weather selection procedure.

Would appreciate any assistance in alleviating this problem :)

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 am

I also can reproduce the above. ( Developer's - Non academic version )

It seems to be caused by the PRESSURE being set to a very low value, as the altitude I was flying at, 7000ft, suddenly jumped to FL360 + when I loaded in the new weather. Airspeed indicator also went to zero.

( I suspect other weather parameters might also not be being initialized correctly ??)

At this altitude, my piston engine obviously stopped working, and I dropped out of the sky. !!

I never tried this in P3D version prior to 1.3, but I suspect, if this behaviour was present back in earlier versions, it would have been reported by now,

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:12 am

Yes.. I looked again.

Altimeter is being set to 0.00 ( as indicated by the new weather, if you go back into the weather setup, and check what the current weather's value is set to -- not so easy to see this on the plane's cockpit panel )

WBard

Postby WBard » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Thank you guys for the analysis. We'll look into it and get it sorted out.

Return to “Other Support Questions”