Error when changing seasons

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
simmerhead

Postby simmerhead » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:48 pm

I am not able to change season in P3D. I've tried changing from the default to spring, summer and winter. Still the sim is stuck in fall. There is a fix though. If I go into the scenery library and enable or disable a scenery layer I can change season, but after doing this a couple of times I get a CTD and "fatal error" message. I've tried running the sim after rebooting, same problem occurs again and again.

I'm currently writing a review of P3D and all I have done with the sim after installing it (The free PC PIlot offer) is to set up a new default flight on approach to KJFK (Which always starts in fall season, even if I have saved it in winter, spring or summer). No addons or tweaks have been added to P3D.

To the cfg I've added "average frame rate" under textinfo. I've removed the entry, but still have same problem.

I've got a good new and stable computer with a fresh install of Windows 7 and all drivers (everything updated to latest version). I've run various benchmark and stability programs and all are working perfectly with no signs of hardware or driver failures. FSX, which is the only non-benchmark software installed works perfectly. FSX is also a fresh install with no addons or tweaks.

Computer ASUSIntel Z68 Motherboard, ASUS NVidia GTX580, Intel i7 2700K CPU, 16GB Corsair DIMMs, Corsair Force GT SSDs. All hardware is running on defualt settings - no overcklocking or tweaking done.

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Quote:

Quote from simmerhead on January 30, 2012, 18:48

I am not able to change season in P3D. I've tried changing from the default to spring, summer and winter. Still the sim is stuck in fall.

It's not just you!!....My Saves all start in FALL, even if I saved them in a different season.

jimcooper1

Postby jimcooper1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 am

Quote:

Quote from simmerhead on January 30, 2012, 18:48There is a fix though. If I go into the scenery library and enable or disable a scenery layer I can change season, but after doing this a couple of times I get a CTD and "fatal error" message. I've tried running the sim after rebooting, same problem occurs again and again.

The problem appears to be that P3D is not writing the [DateTimeSeason] settings correctly. If you examine your FLT file it will probably say

Season=Fall

Year=2011

Day=265

Hours=11

Minutes= 22

Seconds=34

So the 'fix' is to manually edit yout FLT file rather than delete scenery layers. 8-O

Jim

PS: Day =1 is 1 Jan and Day=365 is 31 Dec. Not sure on which days Seasons change!! However the Season field seems redundant anyway because if you set Season=Summer and Day=365 when you start the Sim it starts on 31 Dec and sets the Season to Winter.

simmerhead

Postby simmerhead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks Jim. That is of corse the proper fix.

I included the incident about scenery library as I discovered it by accident when disabeling the batimery layer just to see if it had an impact on performance. Just thought the developers might find it useful when looking into the problem.

WBard

Postby WBard » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey Guys!

We did have a bug in the saving of the weather settings and the datetimeseason settings out to flight files when traffic was enabled. We do believe we've remedied this problem and it will be fixed in our next release.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

simmerhead

Postby simmerhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks!

Return to “Other Support Questions”