Peformance - No Good.

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:02 am

Performance in Prepar3D, compared to FSX with the same settings but more intense graphics is very upsetting.

In the default mooney over NZTU w/ NZSI, REX and SHADE FPS locked @32 - they stay a smooth 32fps. FSX.

The same situation in P3D without nzsi from orbx, red and shade - fps @32, I get 9FPS in the VC and 14FPS in exteror.

I run a i5 750 - 3.4ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, nvidia 9800gt 1gb, win7 64bit.

What is causing the poor peformance?

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 am

What do you mean by more intense graphics? Using the same settings, performance should be fairly equivalent to FSX. There have been a number of perf comparison threads, but here are a couple things to consider when comparing settings:

- Disable bathymetry and turn refraction detail all the way down to none. Transparent water wasn't available in FSX and it requires an extra rendering pass which will hurt your performance.

- Check your global texture setting. FSX maxed out at 1024. Prepar3D maxes out at 4096 (which because its squared means that maxing this setting could increase your texture memory usage by 16x.)

Also, are you using multiple views and/or multiple monitors? We have had a couple posts regarding performance issues in those use cases which we are still investigating.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Beau-

Intense Graphics - Payware FSX Products, products from REX and Orbx.

I tried the two things you suggested, but unfortantley they only increased my VC frames to 11.

No, I have one monitor, but I swap over to exterior then back to the VC every now and again.

Thanks in Advance,

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Aidan,

REX is not yet optimized for Prepar3D and they have announced a version for Prepar3D for release soon. It could be one of the causes of the performance issues. Although there are a lot of folks that are using REX now with Prepar3D and getting no issues, I believe that there are some that do get drops. You could try going back to default P3D textures as well to see if thay makes a difference. You also mention a VC, which specific aircraft?

John

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Im not using REX or FTX in P3D, its all default. In FSX im using REX and FTX.

The plane im using is the Mooney.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am

bump.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Anybody from P3D willing to help me out? Been over a week since I first posted and haven't been responded to?

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Please see this post as well: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=688

We are always willing to help out and try to answer posts in a timely fashion, but there are times when we cannot.

Edit: I am not sure what is causing the poor performance on your system with Prepar3D and better in FSX on the same system. It appears that there is some setting that might be causing this, but unsure what that might be. Perhaps there is an add-on that might be getting launched automatically that might be confusing Prepar3D with FSX? Do you have anything in FSX that might launch automatically when FSX does? Are there any other processes running? Can you check that?

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me - feel like a bit of a hypocrite for not getting back to you sooner. Ive just tried what you asked, and no extra processes are running when P3D is run - but P3D requires about 70% of my CPU usage, where FSX requires 23%.

KelvinNZ

Postby KelvinNZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Aidan, remember this software is build to most likely work on dedicated computers that may not have all the other stuff running on a computer such as a home user pc. I have a pc dedicated for this cause and so nothing except FSX and Prepar3d is installed. There are a few more functions in P3D that may require a bit more processing power. You may need to set affinity mask in your config to more effectively use your processor as other processes on your machine will be using certain cores to do their tasks. There is a topic here that discusses or links to discussions on this and other relevant tweaks.

Hope this is helpful

Return to “Other Support Questions”