FSRecorder in Prepar3D

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 am

John

I 100% appreciate what you state. I was purposely vauge in my references to non SDK methods, as it is really not my place to discuss what other developers are doing.

Thank you for clearly stating -

Quote:

If developers require access to items that aren't in the SDK to make things work, they are welcome to post requests in our forum so that we can look at those features required to make things work without hacks. If developers use SimConnect as the conduit to talk to and from Prepar3D without bypasses, then they will be compatible as we maintain backwards compatibility between SimConnect versions.

Hopefully, other developers will take advantage of this, to help both improve their addons, as well as P3D as a whole.

One of the most dissapointing aspect of FSX over its lifetime, was that the initial concept of a continuing evolving Simconnect, to meet developers needs, was never realized. This has not been the case with P3D, and it is most exciting to see Simconnect grow to meet the needs of both Lockheed and addon developers.

"However, if one never asks, one should not expect to get"

Geoff
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Alex,

You will need to make contact with the publisher of FSRecorder. We don't support third party addons in our forums, although some people do post very helpful hints and work-arounds for a lot of these, the first port of call should be the developers themselves and then post here to see if anyone has some information that might help. If you do find an answer outside of the forums, you are most welcome to post your findings here in case someone else has the same issue and could benefit from what has been discovered.

Some have reported success using tools such as "FSX Registry Tweaker" (do a Google search) when addons are hard-wired to look for specific installation paths. This may still not solve any issues with the application compatibility even after it is installed however, but appears to solve 99% of installation issues.

Regards,

John

ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:21 am

Hi John,

thank you very much for your quick answer... I agree on contacting the 3rd party developer first and I have tried to contact the developer of FSRecorder few days ago, unfortunately I got still no answer, and I've read about similar issues in the FSRecorder forum page without any useful solution. Anyway, your hint looking for "FSX Registry Tweaker" could be very helpful..! I will try that and post my experience here...

Thanks again..!!

Best regards,

Alex
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:53 am

I do not believe you will ever TWEAK the FSX/ESP version of FS-RECORDER to work in P3D.

I believe the developer had to design outside the SDK, and use techniques to access FSX's internals, that are version specific.

Therefore, I think it is just a case of being patient and waiting.

What may not help, is the frequent version updates to P3D, that probably require changes to FS-Recorder to match the P3D version.

All speculation on my behalf -- but seems highly probable.

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi Geoff,

If developers require access to items that aren't in the SDK to make things work, they are welcome to post requests in our forum so that we can look at those features required to make things work without hacks. If developers use SimConnect as the conduit to talk to and from Prepar3D without bypasses, then they will be compatible as we maintain backwards compatibility between SimConnect versions. There are times when it might get confused between versions of SimConnect because there might have been something that we did to it inadvertently, or the addon developers have had to do something weird to make there addons work because of previous limitations.

We will fix anything that we break as soon as we can and if there are ideas from addon providers that make it easier to connect, then we can definitely look at that too. We will continue to release newer versions of Prepar3D on a semi-regular basis, so I am hoping that developers and users won't see that as a disadvantage, particularly if they can use SimConnect alone to connect to the app.

Regards,

John

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm

John

I 100% appreciate what you state. I was purposely vauge in my references to non SDK methods, as it is really not my place to discuss what other developers are doing.

Thank you for clearly stating -

Quote:

If developers require access to items that aren't in the SDK to make things work, they are welcome to post requests in our forum so that we can look at those features required to make things work without hacks. If developers use SimConnect as the conduit to talk to and from Prepar3D without bypasses, then they will be compatible as we maintain backwards compatibility between SimConnect versions.

Hopefully, other developers will take advantage of this, to help both improve their addons, as well as P3D as a whole.

One of the most dissapointing aspect of FSX over its lifetime, was that the initial concept of a continuing evolving Simconnect, to meet developers needs, was never realized. This has not been the case with P3D, and it is most exciting to see Simconnect grow to meet the needs of both Lockheed and addon developers.

"However, if one never asks, one should not expect to get"

Geoff

ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Hello there again ...

I ve just heard, Prepar3D v 1.3 is about to be released. Is there any chance, that FSX capable addons like FSRecorder or EZCA (EZdok) are now compatible with Prepar3D, too ?

Alex
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

ChrisHMeyer

Postby ChrisHMeyer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the post - It looks like previous replies have covered most of the information I have on this matter, but I'll provide a developer perspective real quick. First, like John mentioned, we definitely want to enable the community to develop as many add-ons as possible to enhance the Prepar3d experience. Quite a few companies out there now are developing add-ons specifically for use in Prepar3d, and it's exciting to work with them and the users to make it happen.

Version 1.3 of Prepar3d was just released with new capabilities and fixes, but with some of the add-ons for FSX like FSRecorder and EZCA the hard-coded installation requirements and/or discontinued support make it difficult for us on the Prepar3d side to enable them to work. Like others have mentioned previously, the FSRecorder relies on registry keys for FSX that you can edit to "trick" your system into thinking FSX is installed at the same path Prepar3d is. There are directions on how to attempt this in their web page's FAQ, but stability could become an issue with hacking these types of add-ons into Prepar3d so proceed with caution.

EZCA support looks to have been discontinued in 2009, and without being able to work with their developers the chances of being able to troubleshoot a closed-source add-on drops drastically. The best chance we have with both of these is for the community as a whole to request that the add-on developers either tailor their program to work with Prepar3d, or ask them to contact us with specific questions and/or suggestions on how we could help enable them more-effectively.

I hope this information helps get these add-ons to work, and that similar add-ons get developed in the near future to meet the demand!

Regards,

Chris Meyer

Prepar3d Developer

ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I will probably look up on the trick in their FAQ section, with caution of course.

Best regards,

Alex
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Quote:

Quote from ChrisHMeyer on March 27, 2012, 17:53

Hi Alex,

Like others have mentioned previously, the FS-Recorder relies on registry keys for FSX that you can edit to "trick" your system into thinking FSX is installed at the same path Prepar3d is. There are directions on how to attempt this in their web page's FAQ, but stability could become an issue with hacking these types of add-ons into Prepar3d so proceed with caution.

Specifically, FS-Recorder requires more than Registry "tricks" to get it to Install and more importantly "RUN" on P3D..

It is my understanding that it will require the developer to make FSRecorder work with P3D.

ie Don't waste your time trying -- it will be IMPOSSIBLE for anyone but the developer to make his code work with P3D's different versions.

See FS-Recorder website & Forum

http://www.fs-recorder.net/

And yes, I look forward to the day when it is working ... but, remebering that it is a FREE addon, that timescale is up to the developer.

ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 pm

I absolutely agree FSMP, FSRecorder is not just a freeware, but the best freeware ever developed for FSX, and it is the only flight recording software, there is even no compareable recording software on the payware market ..

Recently I was in contact with Mr. Neusinger, he suggested to use the very first FSRecorder version .. This works in Prepar3D, with a lot of limitations, though.

Anyway, thank you very much everybody.

Alex
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Quote:

Quote from ateh1 on April 4, 2012, 12:07

Recently I was in contact with Mr. Neusinger, he suggested to use the very first FSRecorder version .. This works in Prepar3D, with a lot of limitations, though.

Alex

Interesting info -- can one still find that first Version ?

However, the current version is so much better, that it would be difficult to go back to that first version for P3D.

Alex, have you actually tried that first version with P3D, and got it to display in the Menu, and run. ?

I hope Mr Neusinger can be encouraged and helped by Lockheed, to produce a P3D version, that is easily UPDATED as each new version of P3D is released. ( Pandora's Box ! )

Geoff

ateh1

Postby ateh1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes I did get the ver. 1.3 running ... I think even ver. 1.331 could be working on Prepar3D ..

And yes, it appears on the Prepar3D menue bar under addons ... You will get an error notice when you launch Prepar3D, saying that it will work limited, simply click ok ... :)

oh well, I would even pay good money for a complete working FSRecorder version in P3D ...

here the link to the download page ..

http://www.fs-recorder.net/downloads.php

oh.. and you should install manually ....
Alexander Ther
Video Editor

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks Alex

Just installed 1.3, and yes, it does "work" -- looks like it works about as well as 1.3 did in FSX back in 2007 !!

Spoilt now, with the leatest FSX version.

Still, even 1.3 is better than the built in "Recording" function, so it is a step forward.

Ironically, it requires going back to 2007 software, that was written at a time before P3D was ever a twinkle in Lockheeds eyes !!

Now if only I could get this historic copy VisiCalc to calculate my fuel requirements :P

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes, and 1.331 works as well, but I really a misssing the current features of FS-Recorder... can't even LOOP the playback :(

Geoff

Return to “Other Support Questions”