Sudden Lag in P3Dv5

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Sebmaster98

Sudden Lag in P3Dv5

Postby Sebmaster98 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi I have this problem with P3Dv5 that it works fine for a while and then it just starts to lag, it disapears when i hiot pause but return as soon as I unpause,
Hardware is new and modern and i have never had this problem before

P3Dv5 5.0.31.35253 HF2
Windows 10 2004
Graphic Driver Versoin 451.67

Addons
GSX v2,
Ezdok Camera v3,
PMDG 737ngxu

(Orbx:

Global
Base
Global
Vector
Openlc Europe, North America

Regions
Australia V2
Noeway
Pacific Northwest

Airports
Gothenbutg
Scandinavian Mountains
kiruna¨
Stockholm Arlanda
Alice Springs
Brisbane
Harvey Bay
Melbourne)

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB OC Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB (2x32GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero - ATX / Z390
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6 GHz 16MB

Best regards
Last edited by Sebmaster98 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JorgenSA

Re: Lag

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:38 pm

We will need:

1. Your system specs (new and modern doesn't really cut it),

2. Is this P3D v. 5 HF2, and

3. Your Windows 10 and graphics driver versions.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Sebmaster98

Re: Lag

Postby Sebmaster98 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:52 pm

We will need:

1. Your system specs (new and modern doesn't really cut it),

2. Is this P3D v. 5 HF2, and

3. Your Windows 10 and graphics driver versions.

Jorgen
Yes Sorry I have updated the qusestion with the specs:)

JorgenSA

Re: Sudden Lag in P3Dv5

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Your rig is indeed new and modern, and also powerful. Let us see if we can squeeze a little more out of it!

First, I would suggest overclocking your CPU to the other side of at least 4 GHz, if possible to the other side of 4.5 GHz if possible. It should be pretty easy to overclock on your Asus motherboard (it is on mine), but you might want to first of all to update the BIOS on the mother board - again, easy on an Asus motherboard. Look in your Asus motherboard manual for this - but be very aware that any and all warranty on your CPU goes away if and when you overclock.

Second, google this: "affinity mask calculator". Use that to calculate a value, taking into account if you have hyperthreading on or not (current opinion tends to believe it should be off), then add this to your Prepar3D.cfg file:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xx

where xx is the value you calculated.

At last for now: what is your frame rate set to? Many people set it to unlimited, which actually is not ideal. It is set by default to 30, which is around the maximum your eye can see anyway, and which actually gives the CPU/GPU more time to build complete frames and thereby avoid lag.

I actually found out by experimenting that I got a smoother simulation by setting the frame rate unlimited in the sim and limiting to 30 in the nVidia Control Panel instead - but that is maybe only on my system that it works like that.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Sebmaster98

Postby Sebmaster98 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Your rig is indeed new and modern, and also powerful. Let us see if we can squeeze a little more out of it!

First, I would suggest overclocking your CPU to the other side of at least 4 GHz, if possible to the other side of 4.5 GHz if possible. It should be pretty easy to overclock on your Asus motherboard (it is on mine), but you might want to first of all to update the BIOS on the mother board - again, easy on an Asus motherboard. Look in your Asus motherboard manual for this - but be very aware that any and all warranty on your CPU goes away if and when you overclock.

Second, google this: "affinity mask calculator". Use that to calculate a value, taking into account if you have hyperthreading on or not (current opinion tends to believe it should be off), then add this to your Prepar3D.cfg file:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xx

At last for now: what is your frame rate set to? Many people set it to unlimited, which actually is not ideal. It is set by default to 30, which is around the maximum your eye can see anyway, and which actually gives the CPU/GPU more time to build complete frames and thereby avoid lag.

I actually found out by experimenting that I got a smoother simulation by setting the frame rate unlimited in the sim and limiting to 30 in the nVidia Control Panel instead - but that is maybe only on my system that it works like that.

Jorgen
Great thank you I will try this now

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:17 pm

@ Sebmaster98,

Did you build your own PC or did you purchase a name brand PC from a store?

My system / setup is like yours.

What do you mean by "Lag" ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Sebmaster98

Postby Sebmaster98 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:22 pm

@ Sebmaster98,

Hi I built it on my own ,

I´m not sure what I mean because I don´t know the word, but when i move the mouse to look around theres a second delay until the view moves and when it does it like jumps instead of moving smoothly

Sebmaster98

Postby Sebmaster98 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:23 pm

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xx

Jorgen
Great thank you I will try this now
Hi nunfornuly it didint work, tried everything with same result

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:51 pm

@ Sebmaster98,

I´m not sure what I mean because I don´t know the word, but when i move the mouse to look around theres a second delay until the view moves and when it does it like jumps instead of moving smoothly
I also use :
Ezdok Camera v3,
PMDG 737ngxu

And no problem panning the VC cockpit around.

Maybe You have a P3Dv5 Option setting conflict.

check your P3D Options, Other Options, Mouse Controls
Do you have Enable Advanced Mouse Controls (not checked)?

Note:
I have not overclocked my CPU or video card
Never used Affinity mask
Have not updated my BIOS
Or any thing else like that.

My PC / CPU / video card etc Warranty is still good.
Last edited by Martyson on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

downscc

Postby downscc » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:56 pm

I'd focus on EZDock camera addon until you were able to rule it out... it is exactly capable of causing this problem.
Dan Downs
KCRP

Sebmaster98

Postby Sebmaster98 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am

I'd focus on EZDock camera addon until you were able to rule it out... it is exactly capable of causing this problem.
Thanks For the answer I will check the ezdok

Sebmaster98

Postby Sebmaster98 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:37 am

@ Sebmaster98,

I also use :
Ezdok Camera v3,
PMDG 737ngxu

Note:
Never used Affinity mask
Have not updated my BIOS

Hi I thought the same, never had to use anything or overclock so I will check the settings and see what happens

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I also use :
Ezdok Camera v3,
PMDG 737ngxu

Note:
Never used Affinity mask
Have not updated my BIOS

Hi I thought the same, never had to use anything or overclock so I will check the settings and see what happens
@ Sebmaster98 ,

Ok,
No rush, we will keep the light on!
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Other Support Questions”